Is the starter package worth it?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11
Andrew Lucas | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 17 2017 11:47 AM

With the current sale on I am considering purchasing the starter package, however considering only the books that I am interested in, I still can't justify the price.  However I am not considering the software features that I will benefit from.  What features will I benefit from that I don't currently have with the free version of logos?

Posts 23630
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 12:01 PM

With the Starter package, by default you get the Starter Feature set which is described at https://www.logos.com/product/121388/logos-7-starter-feature-set 

If you toggle the ”Show” selector from “All” to “New to you” you will see what features you will get

Does this help?

If you aren’t interested in the features have you seen you can remove the feature set at the checkout so you are just paying for the resources?

Posts 11
Andrew Lucas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 12:16 PM

Thanks it does, but since I am not a power user I really don't understand practically what features I would use.  I would be interested in knowing what the top 5 or 10 features are from the perspective of a heavy user.  I guess currently I am pretty happy with what I can do with the free version, so I am trying to understand how much better it will be if I purchase the starter features.

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 12:28 PM

The free version you technically do not own licences to any of the works that came free... The starter offers a lot of great books that are very helpful. With these the passage guides become much more helpful as tools flesh out the sections. Is it worth it is only something you can decided but if you are going to be using Logos as your primary study system it likely is a wise investment. Best thing about Logos is after trying it for under 30 days if you decided the additional books/ features are not for you you can get a refund and go back to what you now have.

-dan

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 12:32 PM

I don't know how 1-to-1 it is, I haven't done a comparison, but you might get a taste of starter by doing the one month free trial of cloud starter. The resources will be different, but I'm GUESSING that the features will be similar??? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I do hope this is something that FL considers. How to give people using Basic a taste of the other feature-levels. Free trials. Videos that demonstrate package level features. Some kind of guide to show what's available and where, feature-wise. Maybe there is something already and I'm out of touch with that side?

EDIT: What Dan suggested is probably your best bet. I always forget about Faithlife's generous return policy. 

Something that would help is if the list of features & datasets were linked to their PDPs and possibly the related Pro vids.

Posts 23630
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 12:50 PM

Andrew Lucas:
I would be interested in knowing what the top 5 or 10 features are from the perspective of a heavy user.  I guess currently I am pretty happy with what I can do with the free version, so I am trying to understand how much better it will be if I purchase the starter features.

Great question - I'll see what I can do (this is based on my understanding of what is currently included in Logos 7 Basic and so what extra you would get in Starter. If the Basic contents have changed some of what I refer to you might already have)

You get a fuller set of Interlinears - enabling you to do more in-depth searching and analysis of translations such as ESV, NIV, NLT, NRSV (some of these may now be included in Basic but I'm not sure). This is of most value if the reverse-interlinear for your preferred Bible isn't included in Basic.

You get some extra datasets:

• you can see and search on who said things and to whom the words were addressed. While it is (normally) very clear who says things when looking at the text being able to do a search for "love WITHIN {Speaker <Person Jesus>}" is an example of something I find very useful
  • you can search for people / places even if they aren't referred to by name - so finding occurrences where someone is simply referred to as "she" for example
  • you can do searches based on the literary type of the text

You get the fuzzy Bible search - very useful if you are searching for a verse and don't remember the exact wording

The multiview resources is very nice - it allows you to have a couple of Bibles and a couple of commentaries in the same panel with them all being linked to the "primary resource". A great way of looking at a set of resources at the same time

You get some very nice interactive tools:

• The Psalms Explorer gives a graphical approach to analysing Psalms
  • "Speaking to God" allows you to browse many different types of speech to God (broken out by Father / Son)
  • The Parallel Gospel Reader is a very helpful way of examining Gospel harmonies

Others may have a different "top 10" list - and I didn't actually count them - but the ones I have listed are, in my opinion, very valuable.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Posts 2650
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 1:22 PM

You have a 30 days money back guarantee. How about working with the features for a few days, and then decide upon your experience?

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 18663
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 3:10 PM

Andrew Lucas:
With the current sale on I am considering purchasing the starter package, however considering only the books that I am interested in, I still can't justify the price.

Faithlife has 10 Starter Base Packages with variety of resources => https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=starter&Product+Type=Base+Packages

Comparison of first eight Starters => https://www.logos.com/compare/libraries?productIds=81146,81156,81163,81170,81177,81185,81181,81190 shows many Bibles available in various packages:

• English Standard Version (ESV)
  • New King James Version (NKJV)
  • New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
  • New American Standard Bible 95 Update (NASB95)
  • Revised Standard Version (RSV)
  • 1901 American Standard Version (ASV)
  • 2011 New International Version (NIV)
  • Common English Bible (CEB)
  • Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible: New Testament (EOB)
  • Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
  • Modern English Version (MEV)
  • The Message (Complete OT/NT) (MSG)
  • The Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

Verbum Starter has three more Bibles:

• New American Bible, rev. ed. (NABRE)
  • New Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition
  • The Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

Basic and Verbum Basic include free access for Lexham English Bible (LEB), King James Version (KJV), and Douay-Rheims (DRA).

Note: some Starter packages include the same resources so purchasing one Starter will cause dynamic pricing reduction of other Starter package(s) that include purchased resources. Basic resources are "access-only" that have no effect on dynamic pricing for purchases.

Andrew Lucas:
I would be interested in knowing what the top 5 or 10 features are from the perspective of a heavy user.  I guess currently I am pretty happy with what I can do with the free version, so I am trying to understand how much better it will be if I purchase the starter features.

Logos 7 Starter Feature Set and Verbum 7 Starter Feature Set include Reverse Interlinear (RI) resources for a number of Bibles, which enables Right Click in those Bibles to have many more choices. RI tagging enables visual filter highlighting of morphology so can "see" range of original language expression => Examples of visual filters Corresponding Words visual filter => New Feature: Corresponding Words Visual Filter can use RI lemma's to show corresponding English translation in different Bibles. Also useful for showing repetition of lemma OR root in a passage.

Starter Feature Sets include Biblical datasets that are useful for Precept visual filters => more inductive symbols so can "see" repeated topics in Bible passages. The Biblical datasets also enable many powerful searches: e.g. <Person God>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 17 2017 4:08 PM

Andrew Lucas:
I still can't justify the price.  However I am not considering the software features that I will benefit from.

User Mark Barnes started to create a great Buyer's Guide that touched on the Starter's Guide.  It would be worth checking out:   https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129642/875961.aspx 

If you are wondering if you would use the features, it would help to either watch a couple of the ProVideos and if you take the plunge, I recommend taking the 10-Day Challenge to introduce you into a practical training using your logos library and features.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 351
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 1:42 AM

Graham Criddle:

The Psalms Explorer is not included in the Starter Feature Set (but the Proverbs Explorer is) - at least that is what I see on my computer.

Posts 23630
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 18 2017 2:04 AM

Bernhard:

Graham Criddle:

The Psalms Explorer is not included in the Starter Feature Set (but the Proverbs Explorer is) - at least that is what I see on my computer.

Sorry that was my mistake

Thanks for picking it up

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS