Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2009 10:19 AM
my Vista experience is what pushed me over the edge too!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 11
Dorsey McIntosh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 1:55 AM

Donovan: could you send me instructions on how to boot Snow Leopard in 64 bit?  

I've just returned home after 17 days of ministry travel. While I was gone, my upgrade copy of Snow Leopard arrived (I serve in Budapest, Hungary, so had to wait for the CD to be brought to me). I noted that you finally upgraded to Snow Leopard, so I will give it a go this weekend.  (Any warnings, hints?)

I see that Logos 1.2.2. is available as well.  Would you install this before or after upgrading to Snow Leopard????

Thanks.

Dorsey McIntosh

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 3:27 AM

Hey Dorsey,

There are numerous ways to boot up with the 64 bit kernel. The easiest is a small programme which you can download here:

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

It will do a check of your system to see if your computer is capable of booting the 64 bit kernel.  Mine can and does just fine, but VMware Fusion will not run.For some reason VMware is behind the ball on this. So I am working hard to get away from the remaining Windows application that I have so that I can stop running VMware completely. (btw - Parallels apparent does run with the 64 bit kernel, so VMware has some catching up to do now)

Warnings? Make sure you backup your computer in case you find that Snow Leopard breaks something that you need. Now that it is a month after the release, most popular programmes have started to address any Snow Leopard related bugs.  The big thing to make sure is that your printer driver(s) play nicely with Snow Leopard.  Generally, it is good to look at every 3rd party application you have and visit their websites to see what they say about Snow Leopard.

Definitely install 1.2.2 for Mac as it has fixes for Snow Leopard.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Posts 11
Dorsey McIntosh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:23 AM
Donavan, Thanks for your reply! Sorry for the late response — I usually check the Logos for Mac forum on Saturday morning & last Saturday I was installing Snow Leopard. I totally forgot to check the forum for a reply, but all went well. For me, Snow Leopard is a great improvement.. Mail & Safari are both much faster. Apple did a great job w/ the Snow Leopard installer as far as I experienced it. (I did read Joe Kissell's e-book "Take Control of Upgrading to Snow Leopard" first & that had a lot of great advice. Fortunately, I routinely back-up & did a fresh back up before installation. I also updated all my apps before upgrading, including the Logos for Mac 1.2.2 update. All went well. Wonder when Logos will send out the next update??? I can't wait for highlighting & note taking. I'll try the Web site for checking on 64 bit processing, but I'm pretty sure my kernel is running at 64 bit. Thanks for including that. Again, thanks for you helpful reply! Blessings! Dorsey in Budapest
Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:44 AM

Hi Dorsey,

Glad it went well for you. SL installed on my computer just fine as well.

Dorsey McIntosh:
I'll try the Web site for checking on 64 bit processing, but I'm pretty sure my kernel is running at 64 bit.

The only Macs that are booting the 64 bit kernel by default are servers. There's a fair bit of information about this on the web. If you are running SL, some of the apps you are running are 64 bit, but it is with the 32 bit kernel. So you are getting the benefits of 64 bit computing. However, in order to boot the 64 bit kernel, you need to manually tell your mac to do so... but before this will happen, you need to see if your machine is capable of doing so. I think only the latest unibody MBPs can do this if I recall. 

To boot the 64 bit kernel, the information I gave in this thread will tell you how to do this with a GUI. The cool thing about the GUI is that it runs a check on your Mac to tell you whether or not it is capable of running the 64 bit kernel.

Complicated?  Yes and there's a tonne written about this on the web!

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS