Ancient Literature Collection or Cultural Concepts Collection?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 22 2017 10:35 PM

Anyone used either one of these, or both?  What are the main advantages of either?  Which one do you use more and why?

Thanks

Posts 3646
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 23 2017 4:22 AM

Both collections focus on ancient texts that can help elucidate the Bible and its world. The Ancient Literature Collection is larger. There is some overlap between the two (e.g., the church fathers) but they actually each have texts that are important but not found in the other collection. 

So, I would say similar usage. Cultural Concepts is a cheaper, smaller collection and includes several general dictionaries, not just ancient texts. The other collection then has more ancient texts. 

The collections also differ in terms of how they are tagged. The Ancient Lit is extensively tagged to produce links in the Passage Guide section on Ancient Literature (ie, look up a passage, find passages in other ancient literature related to it). The Cultural Concepts are extensively tagged for elucidating cultural concepts specifically (the cultural concepts section in the PG or links to cultural concepts from the context menu in a Bible passage). This does not mean that one resource has no tags of the other kind (if it is found in this rather than that collection) but that the resources in one collection have been curated with that specific goal in mind. 

Posts 560
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 23 2017 4:46 AM

Hello Phil!

The collections are designed to work with the corresponding tools found within the Passage Guide. The resources in these collections have extensive linking to populate the tools and are a great way to pick them up if you don’t already have them – meaning, far cheaper than buying the resources separately.

These two Blog posts should help you understand the advantages:

Understand the Biblical World with Logos 6’s Cultural Concepts Tool

How to Incorporate Extrabiblical Texts into Your Exegesis

Be sure to check out the Logos Pro Training videos on each product page, as well:

Ancient Literature Collection (25 vols.)

Cultural Concepts Collection (20 vols.)

I use both tools equally in my studies and already owned most of the resources found in these collections from other purchases.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 24 2017 10:27 PM

Thanks for this.  Am still deciding which to start with, but will no doubt pick up the other collection sometime

Leaving you in God's Care and Grace

Posts 10033
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 25 2017 5:53 AM

For normal people (Bible study, the key sources, more frequently ref'd, etc), the Cultural one, hands down. There's 4 in it that cover the waterfront.

My personal pref is the Ancient Lit one, and each time they expand it, I grab the extra (I have both). But I'd never argue 'frequent use' for AL. More a case of fun, but unnecessary depth.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS