A Shameless Plug - Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 28 2017 12:24 PM

Yes, a shameless plug... but I stand behind Dr. Wayne Grudem... Big Smile

I was delighted to see Dr. Grudem featured on Faithlife Today promoting the Strack and Billerbeck Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash.  This pre-pub has been around for ages... I placed my pre-order on June 17, 2013 and so it's time... it's over time...

Interested?  Check it out...

Dr. Wayne Grudem on Faithlife Today

Place your pre-order on the Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash

Let's get this done! The wait that we are going through for this is worse than the Barnes Raising wait of many years ago! 

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 4:10 PM

Strack and Billerbeck painstakingly gathered materials from the Talmud and Midrash that help explain the faith, perspectives, and practices of the Jews during the life of Christ and the period of the early church.”

I agree ... pretty shameless-y. I’m not sure how helpful it might be, unless one is pretty gullable (to the claim).

S&B is indeed good for guessing. And with a little German, you don’t need to wait ... Logos sells it. Worked for me.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 5:07 PM

Here is one scholar's warning about S & B that is worth reading: https://openoureyeslord.com/2013/03/26/buy-strack-and-billerbecks-commentary-but-beware-technical-article/ 

Shogren refers to the work of David Instone-Brewer, which can be found here: https://www.logos.com/product/36846/traditions-of-the-rabbis-from-the-era-of-the-new-testament 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 28 2017 8:36 PM

Just for the curious, how you can use german Strack&B in an english setting (presuming english never gets out of prepub). Images are from camera; I keep L7 off-line:

1. Put the german version in a CitedBy panel. In mine, I tag Lightfoot's Talmud commentary, along with Strack&B, so they both show up:

2. Then when Strack&B has an interesting hit, I pop to it, and mouse any entries that I own, to review (in this case the Job targum):

I can generally figure where they're going, without too much german.

Posts 37
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 29 2017 3:09 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I pre-ordered this last year and am hoping the project moves forward!

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 29 2017 5:48 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Place your pre-order on the Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash

Let's get this done!

Ordered Apr 3, 2013! It's a classic resource, much needed for reference . . . not the only resource!

Posts 421
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 30 2017 6:50 AM

I've also been in the pre-pub since early 2013. Hopefully it will soon reach the level of interest needed for publication. Keep well Paul     

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS