Is Lemma in Passage meant to be available for an English word?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 9 2017 4:57 PM

The section appears in Bible Word Study for an English word but I haven't seen any results so far e.g. Jesus.

Jesus produces many results in the Phrases section...

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 10:46 AM

Bump. This is a simple question!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2583
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 11:51 AM

From the help file:

Logos Help:

The Bible Word Study is keyed off of a specific lemma, and the Lemma in Passage section provides instances where the lemma is discussed in your library.

When you run a Bible Word Study on an English word, it is not running on a lemma. Therefore, you should not expect to see any results.

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 10 2017 1:01 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Therefore, you should not expect to see any results.

That confirms my understanding, but my query concerned the appearance of the section for an English word.

As you know, an English word uses certain (unique) sections from your template and ignores other sections. But it includes Lemma in Passage?!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2583
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Therefore, you should not expect to see any results.

That confirms my understanding, but my query concerned the appearance of the section for an English word.

As you know, an English word uses certain (unique) sections from your template and ignores other sections. But it includes Lemma in Passage?!

Ah, I see what you are saying. I'll write up a case for that.

Posts 8

Its MY understanding (which of course could be wrong) that the reason the Lemma in Passage section shows up when you use an English word the software is, in the background, doing a lookup on the word and tracing it to it's associated lemma. (I understand lemma to be the first stage of linguistic vocal expression of a word's meaning.) This would explain why the section shows up. Am I incorrect in this?

Posts 24528
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 11 2017 10:42 AM

Bro. D Deryl Downey:
when you use an English word the software is, in the background, doing a lookup on the word and tracing it to it's associated lemma.

No - this feature only works for "original" languages - Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS