Help with good practices on note taking/highlighting

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 16 2017 8:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I have watched some videos and read some articles.  But I am wanting some advice.  I seem to have a difficult time with note taking/highlighting and was wondering if everyone could provide some feedback on how they take notes?  How do you organize?  

For example.  When I am reading Scripture, I want to add highlights, but not necessarily add a note.  How would you go about doing that?

When I am reading a textbook, if I want to highlight a section and add notes, is it best to have a note file per book?

Thanks, and I apologize if I am not wording this post correctly.  I simply am just wanting to see various users system for notes/highlighting.  Thanks!

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 29811
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 16 2017 10:05 AM

Brad:
When I am reading Scripture, I want to add highlights, but not necessarily add a note.

For clarification, a new note is created with each highlight... a highlight IS a note. 

Brad:
When I am reading a textbook, if I want to highlight a section and add notes, is it best to have a note file per book?

I use "resource specific" note files 95% of the time. If I were preaching regularly, I might also have thematic note files. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 16 2017 11:04 AM

Great, thanks for your feedback!

Posts 872
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 16 2017 2:39 PM

What Alabama24 said. Yes

Posts 3191
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 16 2017 4:15 PM

alabama24:
For clarification, a new note is created with each highlight... a highlight IS a note. 

To clarify  expand this: Adding a highlight adds a note entry (by default) to a note document named after the highlight pallet name the highlight style you are using resides under. 

Below is an image of the highlight type displaying the save in settings for highlights, and indicates what the difference between Highlight pallets, and Highlight Styles are.

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 22 2017 8:41 AM

HI Brad,

One thing I have to remember when looking for my highlights is to go to Documents --> note file (which for me is the name of the resource, e.g. the Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis). 

Then, when I open that note file, I have to change the view from "full" view to "quotes" to see the entire text of the highlights. Otherwise it just looks like a bunch of short snippets that are on 1 line, and it's hard to get a sense of the reason that I had highlighted it.

Just a simple thought... but one I keep having to remember to really use my notes well.

Chris

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 22 2017 4:27 PM

Thanks so much for this information Chris.  Very helpful!

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 22 2017 4:27 PM

This is great, thank you so much for sharing!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS