Is AYBC and ICC worth owning?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 18 2017 7:27 PM

Wondering if I should upgrade to Lutheran Portfolio, mainly because these two sets are in it and some other things too. Feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:21 PM

I have select volumes of ICC. I would not buy the whole set as much of it is dated, esp. the OT. There are some good volumes in the NT. 

There are a few AYB volumes I own in print and one in Logos. I rarely consulted the print ones and haven't had a use, yet, for my lone Logos volume. 

For academic use, the case might be stronger to own both sets, but for me,  Anchor Yale is a no-starter and the ICC NT might be best bought on sale (when that happens) or by picking individual volumes.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 18 2017 9:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback Mark! Didn’t realize how old the ICC was. I still have about three years left of school and currently work with youth. 

Posts 1965
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 4:27 AM

I like the ICC because it is widely referenced by other sources, and though several volumes are dated, the linguistic information is still valuable.  It also helps if you have the whole set to bring down the dynamic price of the set when new volumes are included, so that is also food for thought.  I use the AB set often for academic work.  If you have the chance to get these sets in large bundles for a steep discount, then I would say get them.  Again, it will pull down your dynamic price in several areas.  I think one or both are also available in Anglican Portfolio, so that price would come down.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 548
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 5:48 AM

I have several volumes of both sets. I'll join the others is mentioning that some of the ICC is pretty old, but some are also newer. I don't recommend getting the whole set without a compelling reason, but i've selected those volumes which seemed useful. As to the AYBC, these are also hit or miss, not because they are old, they are not, but because they tend to be widely differing in their perspective and positions. Some of these are really good, others, not as much. I've also picked out volumes i've thought would be helpful, but don't recommend getting the entire set.

Here are the ways i choose individual commentary volumes from a series:

https://www.bestcommentaries.com

Commentary and Reference Survey by John Glynn

Old Testament Commentary Survey by Tremper Longman III

New Testament Commentary Survey by D. A. Carson (available in Logos)

Posts 6308
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:06 AM

ICC too old, but there are some good nuggets you can get from them. AYBD I haven’t used it yet. I only have the 3 volumes given cheap last month. Right now I’m saving my pennies for Logos 8 upgrade (s). It might come out next year. My payment plan will be done early next year before spring. So we’ll see what new offers come out.

DAL

Ps. I’m still hopeful Logos will sell the NICOT/NT entire set for $599 like other Softwares do. 👍😁👌

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:46 AM

ICC is highly academic... I own it as part of an anglican package but use it little.. It is over 100 years old but it has not been at a stand still 1/3 of the volumes have been released within the last 30 years with many volumes being released in the mid 20th century too. Sometimes with overlapping volumes. I will privately send an example from Romans in both ICC and Anchor. To me anchor feels more valuable but each is highly academic and has its uses. I suspect 100 years from now, all things continuing on, the ICC will still be published (likely still not complete) and many of its original volumes still being offered due to their quality. 

-dan 

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 3:50 PM

Thanks for all the advice and feedback!!!

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 5:28 PM

In my opinion, Cranfield's relatively recent commentary in the ICC on Romans is the very best commentary on that particular book.  Also, the ICC  volume by  I. Howard Marshall on the Pastoral Epistles is great.  So is the ICC three volumes on Matthew by Davies and Allison.  If you cannot afford the whole set, you would likely benefit from owning these volumes.  There are other outstanding volumes.

For me, yes, it was worth the purchase.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 5:46 PM

Thanks Michael, do you have AYBC as well? 

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 8:39 PM

To Michael’s ICC list I’d add Best on Ephesians and Barrett on Acts.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 341
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:18 PM

Keith,

Without commenting on the worth of the 2 series you are looking at purchasing them the right way.

I have mentioned previously in these forums that the cheapest way to purchase these 2 series is via the Lutheran packages.

But check whether you could do better purchasing AYBC separately first, and then purchase the Lutheran DIAMOND package afterwards.

Stephen.

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:24 PM

The exegetical summaries refer to ICC quite often

https://www.logos.com/product/38965/exegetical-summaries-series 

but never to AYBC.

AYBC seems to use transliterations for the original languages

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:40 PM

Mark Smith:

To Michael’s ICC list I’d add Best on Ephesians and Barrett on Acts.

Thanks for the information!

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:41 PM

Stephen Miller:

Keith,

Without commenting on the worth of the 2 series you are looking at purchasing them the right way.

I have mentioned previously in these forums that the cheapest way to purchase these 2 series is via the Lutheran packages.

But check whether you could do better purchasing AYBC separately first, and then purchase the Lutheran DIAMOND package afterwards.

Stephen.

Hey Stephen, it is cheaper for me to get Lutheran Portfolio

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:41 PM

Veli Voipio:

The exegetical summaries refer to ICC quite often

https://www.logos.com/product/38965/exegetical-summaries-series 

but never to AYBC.

AYBC seems to use transliterations for the original languages

Thanks for the info, I did notice that too while going through the exegetical summaries

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 11:02 PM

Keith,

I picked up Best on Ehesians for a couple of dollars, during a sale.  I can recommend Romans by Cranfield, Acts by Barrett, Pastoral Epistles by Marshall and Matthew 3 volumes.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 19 2017 11:16 PM

Thanks it’s starting to sound as if ICC isnt bad to own the whol series? Not so much AYBC? 

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 11:18 AM

Guess we'll see if there are any good sales coming on these

Posts 894
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 11:27 AM

Keith

Phil has listed the only ones regularly praised in lists of recommended commentaries so I'd be sure you really need the others in the ICC series if you were investing a lot of money. I'd be inclined to pick and choose commentaries from the ICC and AYBC series rather than invest in them as a whole.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS