Bible Encyclopedias

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 114
Gerald | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 21 2017 4:59 AM

I have the following Bible Encyclopedia's.

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE), 1915 Edition

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE) (1979–1995) (4 vols.)

Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (4 vols.) by Walter Elwell

Would having the 

Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible (5 vols.)

be a worthwhile purchase in view of the titles I already have? The Zondervan title is on sale for about half off.

Thanks

Posts 3719
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 6:52 AM

I will let someone with more experience way in on this one but what I can say is this goes on sale about once a year I believe.  Last year (or the beginning of this year it ws 66% off).  The nice thing about the ZEB is the illustrations.  I believe it weighs in around 250mb so you get some decent photos with it.  The Baker is still my favorite though. 

I was reading the ZEB a week or so ago and it had a decent article on the flood.  It favored the local flood option which is not my opinion but it was a good read nonetheless

Posts 7066
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 7:45 AM

From what I’ve seen you don’t need it, unless you want the pictures. What you have  should be enough. It’s like the Zondervan illustrated Bible background commentary. The background information is found in most of your commentaries, the only extras are the pictures. So it’s entirely up to you. If you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.

DAL

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 8:14 AM

I would look into Yale Anchor Bible Dictionary or the IVP black dictionaries rather than  Zondervan.

Posts 266
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 9:06 AM

You already have the two best in ISBE and Baker.  I have the Zondervan but rarely ever open it.  I use the ISBE and Baker, and the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary is excellent for a quick, basic reference. Those are my three "go to" dictionaries.  If you have those three, I see little use for buying the Zondervan.

While these are certainly sufficient for most people, I have also found the IVP Dictionaries to be excellent and sometimes contain material not found in the others. They are an up to date, excellent addition that will supplement what you have.

Posts 114
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 9:40 AM

Thanks to all for your opinions. I will skip the Zondervan title. I do have the AYBD and HIBD.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 10:13 AM

Gerald:
HIBD

Was that suppose to be New Interpreter's Dictionary Bible or is HIBD something I have not yet heard of????

-dan

PS: To get nit picky if it is New Interpreter's Dictionary Bible it is commonly abbreviated NIDB but not big deal.

Posts 22646
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 10:26 AM

HIBD is presumably Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 11:44 AM

You are most likely right Graham I just never thought of a one volume being brought up in a discussion about mulitvolume ones... HIBD was my first stand alone Bible dictionary (I think there was a reader's digest concordance that had some dictionary qualities too it and even my Master's Study Bible (with its dictionary in the back) came after HIBD.... Although A couple times I did use the Interperter's Dictionary of the Bible at my church.

-dan

Posts 114
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 21 2017 1:35 PM

Graham Criddle:

HIBD is presumably Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary

That is correct. This short cut abbreviation opens this book. 

HBD opens Harpers Bible Dictionary. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS