Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament

Page 4 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 112 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 549
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:01 PM

Okay, so an update for everyone: I was looking at Eerdmans site and they have 15 volumes. Volume 1 was published, according to Eerdmans, in October of 2011. I have looked at Volume 15 and noted that there are about 18 other Hebrew words in HALOT that it does not APPEAR to have...unless they were grouped under different articles (which I am hoping is the case). But, when you read the description for Volume 15 it states that it is "the final volume of Hebrew terms." (http://www.eerdmans.com/Products/2339/theological-dictionary-of-the-old-testament-volume-xv.aspx). Since volume 15 is the final volume and volume 1 is the last volume that was published, it looks like the TDOT is complete. (here is the link to look at the entire set: http://www.eerdmans.com/Products/CategoryCenter.aspx?CategoryId=SE!TDOT). I hope that this will be in the works for an electronic edition soon.

Logos 7.4 + Logos Now | OS X El Capitan 10.12.3 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 89
Brian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:18 PM

Major Bump for this set in Logos!!!

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:49 PM

Caleb S.:
it looks like the TDOT is complete.

I believe there are 2 volumes left. One on Aramaic words and an index volume.

Posts 549
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 8:37 PM

Vincent Setterholm:

Caleb S.:
it looks like the TDOT is complete.

I believe there are 2 volumes left. One on Aramaic words and an index volume.

Where did you see that at? I really hope that they ARE coming out with at least one Aramaic volume, too. Since that is important to me.

Logos 7.4 + Logos Now | OS X El Capitan 10.12.3 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 549
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 8:50 PM

I just re-read the description (here) and in the second paragraph it says, "the TDOT volumes present in-depth discussions of the key Hebrew and Aramaic words in the Old Testament. " So it APPEARS to be saying that it already has the Aramaic. If that is a misunderstanding on my part, then fine....I want an Aramaic volume (at least one) on most (if not all) Aramaic words. (I wish the TDOT had more of the Hebrew words. Based on the times I have used it, there were a few that I thought were missing....UNLESS I was using it wrong. That IS very possible.)

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 12:24 PM

Caleb S.:
Where did you see that at?

I don't remember where I read that TDOT would be 17 volumes when done, but the original German edition is in 10 volumes, of which the first 8 cover Hebrew, the 9th Aramaic and the 10th is an index volume. Volumes 1-8 and 10 are done, but only the first of the Aramaic fascicles is published (that I could find online). I believe the plan is for the English edition to contain all the material of the German edition, when it is finished.

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 12:34 PM

Vincent Setterholm:
the 10th is an index volume

Do we really need an index volume?  We didn't get one with the Church Fathers.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:51 PM

In the old days, we didn't generally digitize old scripture reference indexes because 1) just doing a reference search would get a user to precisely the correct location, instead of just to a page number, and 2) the indexes would give a lot of hits on a reference search that weren't very useful, since they only pointed to a whole page and didn't have any interesting content themselves. Now we have the ability to mark a section so that it doesn't inflate the search index with extra hits, so #2 isn't an issue, and there is something to be said for being able to browse an index instead of run individual searches to see if something is present (and then one could always right-click the label in the index to run a data type search within the present volume instead of clicking in a page number link and still get to the precise location). Without actually looking at the TDOT index, it's hard to say how valuable it would be in digital format (especially if there are already KeyLink tables built in to get to the right entry for each word, regardless of spelling and homograph differences). But if they're dedicating a whole volume to indexing, there's probably some good stuff in there. But in general, we do include all indexes now in our editions.

Posts 8820
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 1:52 PM

Vincent Setterholm:
there is something to be said for being able to browse an index

Vincent Setterholm:
in general, we do include all indexes now in our editions

Yes

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1882
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 6:14 AM

I find it extraordinary that the TDOT is not available in any electronic format (at least that I am aware of). The licensing of this must be stuck in the dark ages! Sad

Posts 4399
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 8:37 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

I find it extraordinary that the TDOT is not available in any electronic format (at least that I am aware of). The licensing of this must be stuck in the dark ages! Sad

On the outside chance that someone associated with this resource who has pull and influence may read this thread...I want you to know...I WILL NEVER BUY THIS SERIES IN HARDBACK--NEVER.

But I and hundreds if not thousands of others are practically besides ourselves wanting to buy this in e-book format...specifically in LOGOS format. My credit card is hovering in space over the card reader...

In fact, I don't think there is any resource that I desire to own more than TDOT.

Just saying...

Posts 1
Rev. Jay J. Atherton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:38 PM

I agree!!! My VISA can't wait!!!

Posts 299
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 6:47 AM

Come Lord TDOT, I mean Jesus...

YesYes

Posts 250
Edwin Sully PAYET | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:48 AM

WORDsearch says 

"A twelve-volume companion series, the Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament, is currently in production."

see https://www.wordsearchbible.com/products/34810

yet they do not put any date on the website. you cannot know this information was put on the website and if it is reliable

But What about Logos? is there any thinking about a possible publication? and a possible release date?

Posts 44
Peter Keay | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:46 PM

Definitely +1 on this. In fact, it probably makes #2 on my "resources I want to see most" (#1 is NSBT).

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:51 PM

Edwin, that probably needs to be clarified on the WORDsearch website, as the intention was to say that the publisher is currently producing the OT companion.

In terms of producing a digital copy, that likely won't happen until it is completed in print. I can confidently say, though, that it is not currently in production on WORDsearch's end, at least not at this time.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 30
LogosEmployee
Bill Nienhuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:22 PM

There are some significant copyright issues we must overcome if there is to be a Logos edition of TDOT. We're working on this, but we can make no publication forecast at this time.

Posts 8820
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2012 4:29 PM

Thanks for the update, Bill. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4399
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:07 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Bill's comment appears to be a confirmation of your earlier surmising, Donovan...only worse.          S-T-O-N-E-A-G-E

I've only been waiting for this series for about 15 years...waiting another 15 years won't hurt. Crying

Posts 2732
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 1:19 AM

David Paul:
I've only been waiting for this series for about 15 years...waiting another 15 years won't hurt. Crying

God bless you for your patience Yes

I use TWOT and NIDOTTE in between. It makes the waiting easier. Smile

Bohuslav

Page 4 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.