Collection Rules: Emptpy field

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:59 AM

Can I create a collect rule that says there is nothing in the my tags field?

This does not work for me, but it does, I think, illustrate the collection rule I am trying to create:

type:Bible-Commentary AND mytag:empty

The purpose of the rule would be to allow me to identify all the Bible-Commentaries that have not yet been tagged (this seems to be faster and more accurate way that to scroll through a list of several hundred).

Posts 75
Robert Kostenbauder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:32 AM

You might try the same rule but use: type:Bible-Commentary AND mytag:" ".  I tried it and it seemed to work for me. The double quotes have a space between them.

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:21 PM

Hi Robert:

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried your suggestion, but it did not work for me. It did, however, return some interesting results.

For example, while I have tagged all the the Zondervan Illustrated Background Commentaries (both OT and NT), the search query return volume 3 of the OT but not any of the other volumes.

Chuck

Posts 75
Robert Kostenbauder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:29 PM

Sorry it didn't work. I thought it had as I created a collection using that rule and it seemed to work for me.  Upon further investigation I found that it did return the one commentary I have tagged. 

Posts 27038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 4:16 PM

ChuckForsythe:
Can I create a collect rule that says there is nothing in the my tags field?

You could make a Suggestion. It would be useful for any field eg. Series

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 9:17 PM

It has been suggested here  

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:20 AM

Mind if I ask: What are you planning to do with that collection? If it's just so you can find out if you've got any commentaries you haven't tagged yet, so that you can go and tag them appropriately, then here's an alternative way to do it:

• Open your Library
  • Filter by type:commentary
  • Sort and Group by My Tags (click on the My Tags column heading)
  • The first entry in the grouping (which will show as an expandable heading of "--") will contain all commentaries where mytag is empty. You can click the triangle to the left of that heading to expand it and see all the untagged commentaries and tag them as needed.

If, on the other hand, you wanted to actually have a collection of "commentaries that don't fall into any of my other categories" to search through, then you can follow the above instructions, select all the untagged commentaries and apply a tag to them (e.g., "empty") and then you can make your collection based on this criterion. It won't be entirely dynamic though, as you'll have to redo add more tagging every so often when you buy new commentaries. But it's pretty straightforward to do.

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:09 AM

Rosie:

Thank you a TON; you solved my problem! 

I actually wanted to be able to see a list of all the commentaries I have not yet tagged.

I know creating collections using mytags does require a bit of routine work, but it is the only solution I have come up with that allows a collection of commentaries that fit my needs. There is such a broad range of different kinds of commentaries and my way of seeing (and using) them may not fit what others are doing. Being able to check my library every once in a while to make sure new commentaries are tagged is helpful.Your solution will make this vastly easier!

I created seven different collections of commentaries:

Academic

Exegetical

Expository

Intermediate

Popular

Single Volume

Study Bible Notes

Using the series title and and applying a global my tag to the entire series made the original work much easier.

I pray God will bless you!

Chuck

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:10 PM

ChuckForsythe:

Thank you a TON; you solved my problem! 

Great! I love it when I'm able to help like that... Smile

You've got more categories of commentaries than I do. I have five:

• Language
  • Critical/Scholarly (probably equivalent to your Academic)
  • Exegetical/Homiletical/Pastoral
  • Application/Devotional (probably mostly equivalent to your Popular)
  • Handbooks, Study Bible Notes, and One-Volume Commentaries

There's some overlap, too.

I've been thinking of moving the One-Volume Commentaries out into a separate collection.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 5:45 AM

Rosie Perera:
I've been thinking of moving the One-Volume Commentaries out into a separate collection.

I put a one-volume commentary in each category. That way, I can construct layouts that will be valid for any Scripture reference. I do not have a one-volume commentary that would fit with my Critical Commentaries (UBS Handbooks, etc).

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS