Demo Version

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:23 PM

Do you think it would be possible to build a "demo version" with, say, two or three commentaries, two or three Bibles, and a couple of resources, but only for a small slice of all the books? IE, suppose you provided one chapter of John, and perhaps one OT chapter, along with the commentaries sliced out to just that one pair of chapters, and perhaps a few relevant topics out of dictionaries, etc?

I think this would help people decide whether or not you like the software, etc. I have a couple of friends on the "cusp" of buying Logos, but they really want to see it in action, play with it, rather than just a video, etc.

Thoughts?

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 8:32 PM

I cannot agree more. Giving away just the engine free, albeit generous, does not help people to cross the threshold to purchase. Sure, the demo video helps, but nothing really beats being able to play around with it yourself.

Interestingly, another company that sells bible software, making use of the Libronix platform, has exactly what you're asking for, Russ. In fact, not only "a small slice of all the books", but 6 complete books! A bible, a commentary, a "bible maps & charts" book, a bible dictionary, a lexicon, and another book - Free and fully functional! But they don't seem to have updated it for ages, not even with the advent of L4. Play around with these for a while, and one (at least one who is serious about using bible software to study the bible) inevitably longs for more resources, not to mention all the excellent features of L4. It wouldn't take one very long to upgrade to one of the Logos base packages. Or perhaps, for this company, they hope that those who use their free demo will purchase from them their line of Libronix-compatible base packages instead.

But I'm sure Logos already knows all that, and having considered the pros and cons, has decided not to offer the free demo.

Sorry Russ, forum guidelines prevent me from linking you to the site. But if a "Free Libronix Demo" aptly summarises what will help your friends, try your friend Google.

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:33 AM

Someone could build a demo version with all the free books that are available in Logos:

Anyone stumble upon any others that are totally free?

Russ, you could tell your friends about those free books, they could "buy" them (you do have to go through the purchase process with creating an account and giving a credit card number and all, but you will be charged $0.00), and download the free L4 engine from:  http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

That would be enough to get a little flavor of what Logos is like. Lots of features wouldn't work without having bought one of the base packages: Biblical People/Places/Things, many of the Passage Guide sections, Exegetical Guide, Bible Word Study, Text Comparison, Pronunciations, Word Find Puzzle, etc. But they'd be able to use it as an e-book reader with linking and searching capabilities. And I'm preetty sure Home Page, Layouts, Notes, Favorites, Shortcuts, Clippings, and Reading Plans would work.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 2:33 AM

I'm going to be the dissenting voice here...sorry.

I tried (and recommended) this other program before I got Libronix 3. I used the demo version...and it did nothing to let me know just WHY I needed Libronix.

The video's did more for me to let me know what was possible.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:38 AM

The "essential library" from (i think) Nelson works pretty good for this.  It is only 10-20 dollars depending on where you get it from and it has a good cross section of books.  That is what I started off with 5 years ago not knowing what Logos was.  It was enough for me to get hooked and get me up to platinum and many other books as well.  

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:08 AM

Rosie Perera:

I've had links to some of these on my site for a long time

Proceed to the Nelson Ministry Services Department and follow the instructions for a copy of Libronix with some free books:

When you're done with that, proceed over to Logos.com or click this link to search for the free books they offer:

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:43 PM

Thanks! I'll get them into the free books first, and see where it goes from there...

:-)

Russ

Posts 25
Joe Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:07 PM

Russ, where do you live?  If you get together a group of people, one of our regional reps (like me) could come and give a demo and answer questions.  

You can always email me at joe.miller [at] logos.com

Blessings

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:10 PM

PS

I keep forgetting to post from the right account, so when you see my name (even without the coffee) you know it is me brothers and sisters :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:48 PM

Thomas Black:

Rosie Perera:

When you're done with that, proceed over to Logos.com or click this link to search for the free books they offer:

That link has a one other that I hadn't found:

But it is missing some other that I had found:

• The Abridged Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon of the Old Testament (http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/bdba)
  • The Scripture Alphabet of Animals (http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/animalph)
  • The Love Affairs Of A Bibliomaniac (http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/labfield)
  • Furthermore, some of the things on that link page are not books and are not for L4:

• Graphical Query Editor Addin
    • Libronix DLS Object Model Reference

Another item is no longer available:

• Nuevo Comentario Biblico : Siglo Veintiuno

They need to update that free books page!

Posts 1228
    Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 6:50 AM

Thomas Black:

Rosie Perera:

I've had links to some of these on my site for a long time

Proceed to the Nelson Ministry Services Department and follow the instructions for a copy of Libronix with some free books:

Hey Thomas,

Can you provide instructions for putting some of these in Logos 4?  The instructions on the Nelson website are for Logos 3.  I'd like to grab the ones that I don't have.

Thanks,

Ron

Posts 8660
    TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 6:59 AM

Ron Keyston Jr:

Hey Thomas,

Can you provide instructions for putting some of these in Logos 4?  The instructions on the Nelson website are for Logos 3.  I'd like to grab the ones that I don't have.

For the ones that are marked free on Logos' website, just add them to your cart and "purchase" them - the license and books will download the next time you open L4.

For the ones that Nelson is giving away at their own cost, you'll need to install L3, using their update link.  Sync your licenses and then open L4 - the same procedure of updating licenses and resources should then occur.

Posts 1228
    Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 7:03 AM

Yep, I already "purchased" the free ones from Logos.  I'll go install L3 and give that a try for the Nelson ones.  Thanks! Smile

Posts 1228
    Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 7:49 AM

Thomas Black:
    For the ones that Nelson is giving away at their own cost, you'll need to install L3, using their update link.  Sync your licenses and then open L4 - the same procedure of updating licenses and resources should then occur.

OK, in L3 I'm being presented with a dialog box asking if I'm a new or an existing user.  How do I get set up using my existing L4 credentials?  I don't see any obvious option if I choose existing user and I'm guessing I don't want to set up a "new" account.

EDIT - Nevermind, figured it out.

Posts 1228
    Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:36 AM

OK, I must be doing something wrong.  I got L3 set up using the same e-mail address that I use for L4.  I have the resources unlocked and working in L3.  I've done a "sync licenses".  I run L4 and run an "Update resources" and it tells me no updates available.

Posts 8660
    TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:42 AM

Hmm.

Are you sure the new books are not in your L4 library? 

Did you close L4 all the way, restart it, log in and is internet set to on?

Posts 1228
    Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:47 AM

Thomas Black:

Hmm.

Are you sure the new books are not in your L4 library? 

Did you close L4 all the way, restart it, log in and is internet set to on?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes Smile

I'm trying a "Scan C:\Program Files (x86)\Libronix DLS\Resources" right now, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything either.

It's not a huge deal if I can't get it to work, I just liked the concept of free books Stick out tongue

Maybe I'll call CS during my lunch hour if I haven't gotten it working by then.

Posts 8660
    TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:49 AM

CS might be your hope, I wonder if you've somehow gotten two separate licenses going (shouldn't if it's tied to the email addy). 

Posts 1228
    Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:59 AM

I think I may have gotten it (by fluke).  I had to reboot my computer for some MS updates, and when I came back up, I opened L3 and there was a "tip of the day" saying that I hadn't yet activated my Nelson eBible Demo.  I went through that process (though I thought I did that once already) and then re-synced licenses.  Upon opening L4, it is now "preparing my library" and indexing, so I'm guessing that it grabbed them.

Thanks for your help Thomas! Smile

Posts 8660
    TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:08 AM

And thanks for posting the process to fix it, that will help someone else you can be sure.

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS