Going Digital with my Notes and Highlights

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 42
Fos Zoe | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 1 2017 11:46 PM

In my Bible, I have a fairly simple, at least to me, method of notetaking centered around a highlighting theme which is as follows

Red - Sacraments/Mysteries: Baptism, Chrismation, Eucharist, etc

Brown - Worship - Incense etc

Orange - Doctrinal Theme or Practice. Salvation, Theosis, Sanctification, Church

Blue - Chain References. If you are familiar with a Thompson Chain Reference think of this as my personal Chain reference

Yellow - Translation notes concerning the Original languages

Magenta - Repeated phrases within a passage like in Genesis 1 "And God said...."

Green - Lectionary Readings

I would like some ideas of how to approach this.

I think of Red, Brown, and Orange as fairly simple. In my Bible the whole verse is highlighted and usually one word is written by it. These I was going to just add a note with the appropriate color highlight. I was wondering though if its one word for example, Baptism do I really want a note or just add a label, Baptism to a blank note? 

Blue highlights just have a reference. Tonight though when I entered a reference for Maccabees, it did not attach a hyperlink to it. Any thoughts as to why?

Yellow would have more detail than a one word theme so the notes would be more detailed but perhaps a specific label also?

The above seemed fairly straightforward but let me know if I should consider something else.

The last two are a little more difficult for me.

The Magenta if I highlight them just goes into a highlighting document or I could make them notes and attach a label called repetition. What do you think?

Green is the toughest for me to figure out because I use it to mark lectionary readings. In my bible this is done by a "[" and highlighting the first phrase of the first verse and then highlighting the last phrase followed by a "]" and writing when the passage is read. Not sure how to approach this one in electronic form.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!

Posts 18117
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 2 2017 9:11 AM

Printed page has physical limits for placing highlights, notes, ... while digital has more flexibility. Thread => more inductive symbols may be informative along with providing ideas: e.g. precept highlighting for repetition, highlighting style labels, graphic (could be in left OR right margin OR by word).

A thought for visual filters is one document per theme so can show/hide theme(s) as desired. May want to choose highlighting styles that can combine. Milestone search can be used for visual filter highlighting in Bibles and Commentaries; thread => Bug: 7.11 RC 1 Bible Milestone Visual Filter Highlighting has example.

Preaching Themes may be useful.

Fos Zoe:
Green is the toughest for me to figure out because I use it to mark lectionary readings. In my bible this is done by a "[" and highlighting the first phrase of the first verse and then highlighting the last phrase followed by a "]" and writing when the passage is read. Not sure how to approach this one in electronic form.

One idea is passage lists for lectionary readings (only show lectionary reading verses in Bible).

Fos Zoe:
Blue highlights just have a reference. Tonight though when I entered a reference for Maccabees, it did not attach a hyperlink to it. Any thoughts as to why?

Was one of the Bible Book abbreviations used for Maccabees reference ? Logos Help and Verbum Help have list of abbreviations:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25384
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 2 2017 5:31 PM

Fos Zoe:
The Magenta if I highlight them just goes into a highlighting document or I could make them notes and attach a label called repetition.

This quote from the wiki might help you see that there is little difference between Notes and Highlighting. You can direct your Highlighting to any Note file. But Highlighting and Labels are searchable within the resource and provide known "categories" to aid your search; unlike pure Notes.

If you Highlight, you can add a specific label to each style, together with default attributes. You can then use the Note file to attach/edit Labels as needed and add notes as required.

Fos Zoe:
I think of Red, Brown, and Orange as fairly simple

Create your own style and add a Label (the same label) to each. Add the attribute value e.g. Baptism when highlighting.

Fos Zoe:
Blue highlights just have a reference.

Create your own style and add a Label with Reference as an attribute. Add the attribute value e.g. Mt 5:21 when highlighting.

Fos Zoe:
Yellow would have more detail than a one word theme so the notes would be more detailed

Create your own style (e.g. My Yellow Note) and add a Label called Note with no default attributes. Add the comment in the Note file and attach a Note Indicator so you can see it in the resource. You search for these with {Label Note} or {Highlight My Yellow Note} because the category of highlight is indicated by both the label and the style name/color. Alternatively, you can have a default label attribute with a Text type, to which you add the comment when highlighting. This would be OK if your comment is fairly brief and you don't need the text formatting of a full Note e.g. bold, italic, font, hyperlink.

Fos Zoe:
Magenta - Repeated phrases within a passage like in Genesis 1 "And God said...."

As above a My Magenta style would categorise the Highlighting as "repeated phrase", no matter the Note file it is in. You could still include a label.

Fos Zoe:
Green is the toughest for me to figure out because I use it to mark lectionary readings.

You can create a Highlighting style using Insert Text, where "Text Before" is [ and "Text After" is ]  Because you still have to Highlight the full text of the reading, though, the actual style doesn't need inserted text markers to distinguish it as "lectionary reading". You can add a simple label.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 42
Fos Zoe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 6:38 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! I admit I am scared to start mostly because I fear getting well into transferring from my hard copy into the Logos world and then realizing I didn't make the most informed decision which would require me to go back and redo the work :) So still reading about visual filters and found some threads on milestones and highlighting.

Posts 25384
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 11:41 AM

The Logos wiki Table of Contents will help your research.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 18117
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 8:33 PM

Fos Zoe:
Thank you for the suggestions! I admit I am scared to start mostly because I fear getting well into transferring from my hard copy into the Logos world and then realizing I didn't make the most informed decision which would require me to go back and redo the work :)

Understand redo work since my initial visual filter for Logos Greek Morphology had everything in one filter, which was a bit too colorful. Logos wiki => Examples of visual filters has a later iteration with many visual filters that enabled desired subset to be chosen. Greek verbal system is more expressive than English so typically enable visual filters to show range of verbal expression.

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn. While adding year, series, and author to resource titles, my desired modification changed a bit along the way so went back and redid earlier title changes (add prefix instead of shortening original title).

Some redo efforts take more time than others so researching effective use is worthwhile plus recommend prototyping to verify implementation. Thankful digital changes can be (re)done. Also Thankful for visual filter menu enabling selection of desired item(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS