Best reading material

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 134
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 7 2017 5:07 AM

I know most on this site are scholars and advanced Bible students or would be.  What about the average person in the pew?  If you could suggest reading material, other than the Bible, that would help that person be a better Christian, what material would be on that list?

"Mere Christianity", "Pursuit of God", "Power of Prayer", for example. 

Posts 2392
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 5:47 AM

The problem is, there are no "averages". Everyone is at a different point on their walk with God. Everyone has a different background. A newly Muslim-converted-Christian would need different reading material than a veteran prayer warrior...

I can give you some of my personal favourites:

* John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

* Francis Chan, Crazy Love

* Philip Yancey, What's so Amazong about Grace?

* RT Kendall, A Vision of Jesus (although, some of his more recent books might be better suited, such as Total Forgiveness or Holy Spirit, is that You? I've not read them yet though.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 134
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 5:50 AM

Jan, you are certainly correct.  Maybe favorites would be a better choice.

Posts 1058
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 6:45 AM

Since I read it, I have felt like the #1 non-Bible book that every Christian should read is J.I. Packer's Knowing God.

Posts 371
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 8:31 AM

I really enjoyed Tozer's the Pursuit of God.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 2876
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 9:45 AM

I'd throw on, from my own experience, The Holiness of God by RC Sproul.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 759
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 1:48 PM

Reading is great, but don't forget learning by hearing!  My wife and I have an audio copy of Knowing God.  We listen to it while driving on long trips.  People who have long commutes can also take advantage of audio.  We have also listened to several of the sermons from the D.A. Carson collection.  Many of these sermons would be suitable for expanding the horizon of the person in the pew (such as myself  Big Smile).

Recent improvements in text to speech have made the Logos reader, at least on Windows, quite reasonable.

Posts 6649
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 1:59 PM

I have found these to be very helpful. I even gifted the set to a friend of mine and she loves it:

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 7 2017 4:45 PM

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=all+of+grace  by Spurgeon may also be good for you.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 53
Ezra Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 8 2017 9:08 PM

Being one of those average Joes, I would recommend for those who want to go further in their walk, "Why Revival Tarries" by Leonard Ravenhill.  There are a lot of good books, and a lot of good teachers/speakers/authors/pastors etc., but there are very few that hit me like this one did.  I did some serious weeping and praying while reading this. There is a sermon of his called "Where is the Fire?" on youtube or SermonAudio archives that gives you an audio taste of what to expect.

If there are any that are wanting to become a pastor, Spurgeon's "Lectures to my Students" is really good.  I found it a challenge to read, because of how the book was laid out physically, and challenged me spiritually.

"Desiring God" by John Piper is a good challenger as well.  Piper turns me off in some way.  It's not that I disagree with him, but sometimes, his passionate way of writing can be hard for me to relate to. But when I was passionate about something he was passionate about, wow!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS