I Need Real Truth About These Two

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 11 2017 3:15 AM

MacArthur’s Commentaries (NT) are on sale at 50% off ($299.99). My question is: Are they really, really, really, I mean really the exact same content as the sermon archive? (which by the way, is on sale at 50% off too).

I own the sermon archive, but wouldn’t mind getting the commentaries if they offer something new.

Thanks for any honest feedback on this πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

DAL

Posts 3199
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 4:38 AM

They are NOT exact "copies"- though there is a strong resemblance in style and content- the commentaries do take advantage of his sermons on each book, but do have greater depth to them.

I would say the commentaries add depth to the sermons that was not possible while being preached. The commentaries are of MUCH GREATER VALUE than the sermon archives- but I believe this about any of the sermon archives, which to me are a great disappointment and waste of money.

Posts 479
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 5:50 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

They are NOT exact "copies"- though there is a strong resemblance in style and content- the commentaries do take advantage of his sermons on each book, but do have greater depth to them.

I would say the commentaries add depth to the sermons that was not possible while being preached. The commentaries are of MUCH GREATER VALUE than the sermon archives- but I believe this about any of the sermon archives, which to me are a great disappointment and waste of money.

YesYes

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 6:15 AM

I agree with Whyndell Grizzard. The commentaries add depth to the sermons, and are of much greater value. 

I would have bought them if Dynamic Pricing was there, seeing that I own quite a few of them; or even if they were being sold individually at 50%.

Posts 3406
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 7:00 AM

Where did you find out about that sale DAL?  I wonder if there are any other "flash" sales going

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 7:17 AM

Mattillo:

Where did you find out about that sale DAL?  I wonder if there are any other "flash" sales going

https://www.logos.com/product/121460/the-macarthur-new-testament-commentary-series 

Posts 71
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 7:57 AM

Disappointing that there isn’t dynamic pricing available for the set or that individual volumes aren’t available at 50% off.  I have 2/3 of the set and would really like to complete it.  

Posts 2885
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:24 AM

Bryce Hufford:
Disappointing that there isn’t dynamic pricing available

Yeah, this one is a little disappointing. For only $300 I can get the last two volumes I'm missing from the complete series.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 9:03 AM

If I owned the commentaries I would not buy the sermons.  If I owned the sermons, I would make a value judgement on buying the commentaries. 

Posts 3406
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 10:46 AM

DAL:

Mattillo:

https://www.logos.com/product/121460/the-macarthur-new-testament-commentary-series 

I wasn't very clear and for that I apologize.  What I meant was... was the sale advertised at all or where you just browsing and saw them on sale? Either way I hope more "flash" sales do come

Posts 3406
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 10:47 AM

Everett Headley:

If I owned the commentaries I would not buy the sermons.  If I owned the sermons, I would make a value judgement on buying the commentaries. 

I own both but for me I had the commentaries first, which I enjoy immensely.  I bought the sermons later on because they also cover the Old Testament.  So I would say if you want some OT coverage, the sermons are nice regardless though you can access them for free over at their website GTY

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 11:02 AM

I own the sermon archive, and I feel that is the better deal. I'm not really sure how much the commentary sets really add...maybe just a little more depth. The archives cover way more of the Bible

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 12:08 PM

If LOGOS had this resource, it would be great; since this covers the Old Testament Commentary as well; being 2,040 pages.I have the Print Copy and it is wonderful.

Posts 87
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 1:55 PM

I would disagree with many of the posts above. Of course, the sermons were preached first, then the commentaries followed and were edited and built off of the research done in the sermons. So they are very similar in many ways. The commentaries were not written from scratch.

But the sermons were preached to a live audience and include many useful thoughts that make for good preaching that were left out of the commentaries. But the commentaries also left out much material that was good preaching in 1983 (like some illustrations), but doesn't really have a place in a commentary that will last 50 years. (Watergate is not the most contemporary example of power abuse any more.) The sermons have been sifted to provide a clean and concise exposition that is solid teaching. 

But the commentaries are not more in depth--the sermons were equally in depth. Of course, there will be valuable material in the commentaries that were not as clear in the sermons. But most the the material was in the sermons already. 

As an average, the commentary chapters are usually about two preached sermons. 

Buy the commentaries, and use the exegetical/expositional material there, and make your own sermons with your own illustrations. 

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 1:58 PM

Sermon archives are the better deal

Posts 736
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 2:59 PM

Mattillo:

It's on the Home Page. https://www.logos.com/

Dale Heath

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 3:07 PM

Dale E Heath:

Mattillo:

It's on the Home Page. https://www.logos.com/

Dale Heath

One week only. So I hope this is a new trend — to offer deeply discounted products for one week πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

DAL

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 3:09 PM

Keith Pang:

Sermon archives are the better deal

I must agree, since I already own them; hence, no need to spend extra money.  πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 6:28 PM

DAL:

I must agree, since I already own them; hence, no need to spend extra money.  πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

Same! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Posts 1851
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:06 PM

When I use the sermon archive, I like to hear the podcast/YouTube while reading it on Logos. Best combo. (sad that John Piper's archive don't have podcast link)

Or if I know what I'm preaching, I'll play the GTY app in the car's stereo, then review later at home on Wednesday with commentaries.

I like MacArthur's sermon archive because it has really good solid background materials, cuts the time for me when I start preparing the sermon .. So when I read hundreds other commentaries in my library, they make more sense & more familiar.

But if I haven't heard the sermon archive by Thursday, then I'll read the commentaries instead, because I probably don't have the time to hear/read sermon archive anymore.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS