Academic Collection

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 60
Natan de Carvalho | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 14 2017 9:43 AM

Whenever I run searches I find hundreds of results that will not be useful at all. I am trying to create a collection of only academic monographs, but I am failing miserably in distinguishing between academic and non-academic books in my library. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posts 507
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 10:09 AM

Would a search according to publishers help?  Creating a collection that only accesses academic publishers (Baker Academic, Brill, IVP, etc) or authors you are interested in reading may narrow the scope of what you want.  Just a shot in the dark.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 60
Natan de Carvalho | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 10:12 AM

Yeah that might help some, but it will be far from exhaustive, which means I can't rely in my own search. But that's a good start :)

Posts 18256
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 10:13 AM

Please elaborate about difference between academic and non-academic ?

One idea for filtering is:

Publisher:Academic

that includes Baker Academic , IVP Academic , and Sheffield Academic Press

Collection rule possibility is:

Publisher:Academic OR MyTag:Academic

that allows you to tag resource(s) as Academic for search inclusion.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18256
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 10:16 AM

Richard Villanueva:
Creating a collection that only accesses academic publishers (Baker Academic, Brill, IVP, etc) or authors you are interested in reading may narrow the scope of what you want.

Collection rule refinement:

Publisher:(Academic,Brill) OR MyTag:Academic

that could be expanded by adding Author(s)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 507
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 10:21 AM

Natan de Carvalho:
it will be far from exhaustive

It will be a challenge to have a search that is both exhaustive and still focused.  

This may be something you would establish be creating a couple different collections that meet specific resource criteria that you are looking for, then put them into a Custom Passage Guide?  Or run a search a couple times through the Collections you create.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 11:03 AM

Nathan, it seems you have some idea of which books you own are academic and which aren't, so you will need to do some of the work to create the collection you want.

I think KS4J's second post is what I'd start with. Tag individual books you believe are academic (say, A) and that are not by publishers with the word academic in their name, then create a collection on MyTag:A plus the publisher names just as KS4J suggested. 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 60
Natan de Carvalho | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 11:28 AM

Yes I will do that. The boring part is that I have to tag books individually every time I purchase new bundles, which takes a loooooong time. 

Posts 604
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 11:52 AM

Natan de Carvalho:

Yes I will do that. The boring part is that I have to tag books individually every time I purchase new bundles, which takes a loooooong time. 

Yes, it will take a LONG time, however, once it's done, it's done!!!!!!! I have a library with almost 16K resources and they have all been individually tagged. Many of them have multiple tags, especially the commentaries (book referenced I Peter, etc., type, academic, reformed, conservative, etc). The payoff will come only after those "hours" of tagging have been done. As I acquire new resources, I tag them as soon as I get them (and that usually only takes a couple of minutes now).

As I tag them, I also give each book a "star" rating...(0 (default) for new resource that hasn't been tagged, 1 for something that I probably won't use very often or something that I've read and didn't particularly impress me, 2 for something that has some interesting ideas, but not one of my "go to" resources, 3 (most often used) for something that I've read and liked and found, more often than not, that I will use in basic research, 4 for those that will be used more than most and 5 are reserved for personal favorites that are by authors that I know personally of have come to trust almost "completely."

The more you tag your library, the more it becomes yours to be used in your research. It does take a lot of time initially, but if you keep tagging just as soon as you get a new resource, it doesn't take long to maintain.  

Posts 60
Natan de Carvalho | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 11:57 AM

That is quite a decent library, and quite work you done, sir. I'm impressed. 

But let's say you upgrade to collector's edition, or you added a few extra expansion bundles. Tagging 300-3500 books at the time sounds quite exhaustive. Maybe Logos could incorporate some feature that undercuts that part of the work.

Posts 604
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 12:15 PM

Nathan, I had almost that many before I started tagging my resources. I set aside about an hour a day devoted to just tagging. It took several weeks at that rate to complete the task. Once your books are tagged (however many categories you choose), then they can be put into collections and those collections can be chosen to "limit" your research to only that particular topic/subject. You can access "collection rules" at https://faithlife.com/logos-collections/documents

You do not have to tag any of your resources, you can just put them into the various collections that you will find at the link about. However, if you do decide to tag your library, you will be able to make collections that are specific to your line of thought.

The time to do anything, tagging/or not, collections, etc., is now before you library gets even larger. And then maintain it as you buy new resources.

Good luck!

Posts 1073
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 12:42 PM

Bill Shewmaker:

You do not have to tag any of your resources, you can just put them into the various collections that you will find at the link about. ...

I have found that simply creating the collections, without doing any personalized tagging, has been quite helpful.

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 2:15 PM

Natan de Carvalho:

Coming from the generation that had shelves of paper books, the small extra time spent tagging or organizing my electronic library is little compared to the effort I expended trying to keep track of and find information in those print copies. You have it good, if I may say so, and so, now, do I. I hope your library can grow and grow and that you'll still feel the ocassional hour or so spent tagging resources is a small payment for the tremendous usability you'll gain.

BTW: I hope you know that you can tag a whole group of books at one time. Just select all the ones you want to tag at one time, then click the little circle with the i inside, type in the tag, and you're done. I'd recommend opening your Library in a maximized window to see more resources at a time. Select resources using CTRL-click (in Windows). Not too time consuming with new resources. Sort your Library by Last Updated and they will all show up together.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18256
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 14 2017 2:27 PM

Natan de Carvalho:
Tagging 300-3500 books at the time sounds quite exhaustive.

Adding prefixes to titles also takes time => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/139386/890581.aspx#890581 with search benefit that sorting by resource (title) is chronological.

Calvin wrote in the 1500's with translation into English later so title prefix has authored year with title suffix showing translation timeframe.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 449
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 2:12 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Publisher:(Academic,Brill)

KS4J, or anyone else - do you have a list of publishers that you would consider 'academic'? Some, like Brill, are obvious. But there are others I'm not as familiar with, like Clarendon Press.

Posts 60
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 3:41 AM

Thanks for this thread; it's been very helpful to me. I've done some tagging but need to be more specific if I want my searches to be more helpful. Thank you all for your posts.

Daniel Bender

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 4:08 AM

I have a number of academic collections, created by publisher and/or series. I have one for journals, one for commentaries, one for encyclopaedias and theological lexicons, and another for monographs. I think it would be helpful to share them here, but I probably should quickly review them first. I'll do that, then create a new thread.

Posts 333
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 6:31 AM

Mark Barnes:

I have a number of academic collections, created by publisher and/or series. I have one for journals, one for commentaries, one for encyclopaedias and theological lexicons, and another for monographs. I think it would be helpful to share them here, but I probably should quickly review them first. I'll do that, then create a new thread.

I would be interested in that!!!

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:36 AM

Charlene:

It's here: Suggested collection rules for academic works

Posts 333
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 1:27 PM

Mark Barnes:

Charlene:

It's here: Suggested collection rules for academic works