High Cost of Upgades

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Bura Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:38 AM

I'm told by sales staff that I have invested over $14k in my personal logos library 

I currently have the Portfolio 6 edition. 

The current Collectors edition runs $8,639.99 with no current library

The cost for me to upgrade from Portfolio to Collectors 7 is $5690.37

So I'm getting a $3K Credit for my existing Library. 

The sales person also preceded to sell me  Word Biblical Commentary.  Which I have purchased twice.  The first set I gave to a friend.  Then Purchased the newer version with more volumes.  So it begs the question does the upgrade process really take into consideration what I have.  This sales person could not even find that I have Word Biblical Commentary.  SMH. 

None of this included the multiple Scholars edition I have purchased for friends near and far. 

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.  I' have been a Logos fan for years. 

Posts 19760
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:49 AM

Hi Bura - and welcome to the forums

There is a limit to how we will be able to help here as most on these forums are fellow users.

But a few thoughts:

• I don’t have Portfolio but do have a number of denominational packages and my upgrade price to Collectors is about $3,300. So it very much depends on the overlap between the resources you have and what is included in newer packages
  • you mention buying various packages for various friends. That won’t be included in the calculation because they won’t be associated with your account 
  • strange the salesman didn’t recognise you have WBC. But it won’t affect Collectors as WBC is not included in any base packages as far as I know

Having said that, how can we help?

Graham

Posts 5
Bura Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 8:36 AM

Brother: 

Thanks for responding.

The $14k is as stated my personal library. 

The concern over Was that this sales person search and could find evidence that  purchased Word Biblical Commentary.  And yes I'm aware what is not included in collectors.  I was the one btw who suggested the side by side comparisons which Bob later implemented.  It was frustrating at the time to know be able to clearly discern what was in one set and not in another. 

Much Love Brother Graham

Blessings you and yours.

Posts 1541
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 9:48 AM

Much of your post is frustration with the phone salespeople. I have almost never dealt with them - last time was probably about ten years ago. This is indeed a problem, but one I cannot comment on, let alone help with.

From what I understand, when Logos 7 came out, Logos decided to separate our "libraries" from "feature sets" in the various upgrades. The "libraries" are the equivalent to physical books - "Feature Sets" are various computer databases to make the fancy Logos features work.

So if you have Logos 6 and want to go to 7, there are a confusing set of options.

1) Just download the desktop app to get the latest code base, but next to no new features for free

1a) Order the free "Basic" edition which includes a renewing free license to use a few resources.

2) Order one of the Feature sets to update the Logos databases while keeping your library (which all the above would do too) - coming from Portfolio, you probably want the Full Feature set instead of Basic, but look to see what you would use.

2a) At least for now, these Feature sets are included in some Essential Upgrade packages at a competitive price point.

3) You can upgrade your Library as well. These Base Package Libraries can be quite good deals if you want the books included. But the cost does add up. Do take a look at some of the denominational libraries as well. I know I added the current standard edition of Calvin's institutes by getting it a Logos 6 Reformed library cheaper than I could separately...

4) In addition there is the Logos Now program which will keep you current on your feature sets, and the Logos Cloud program where you can rent access to resources. With your large library, almost certainly the Cloud program is not really for you, but Logos Now may be.

Do remember that Logos is a business that wants to sell you stuff. They are not a ministry. As a business they do suggest you go up a level and add more and more. If the deal is worth it, go for it. If not, pick the option that makes the most sense for you.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 26056
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 10:05 AM

Bura Lee:

As to the "high cost," FL has an incentive to continue to rework the packages so that you will buy more. Yes, you do get "dynamic pricing" for previous purchases, but the "dynamic" part is based on the resources which you already own in the new package. Since the new package has many new resources added (and old ones removed) from previous packages, you will indeed have a high cost of acquisition when purchasing such a big collection. 

Bura Lee:
The sales person also preceded to sell me  Word Biblical Commentary.  Which I have purchased twice.

This is more of a concern. Do the resources still appear in your library? Have you tried opening them recently? 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 17212
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 10:32 AM

Bura Lee:

The current Collectors edition runs $8,639.99 with no current library

Seem to remember reading content changes between Collector's Edition 6 and Collector's Edition 7 had dynamic upgrade price over $ 1,500

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8671
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 11:48 AM

Hi, Bura. I recall a Bura Lee from earlier days on the Forums or the pre-forum user group. Are you one and the same?

FL is not calculating your total purchases when it gives you your price for a new collection. I'm sorry if that is what you expected. What you do get is a reduction based on only what you own that is in the new collection you are buying. 

Note, too, that the discount you receive is based on what you'd have to pay for those resources in the new collection, not what you paid for them originally. If you, like me, bought resources outside of collections, once those are in a collection we get credit only for their cost within the collection, which usually is quite a bit less than we paid for them because of the big discounts on collections. So you could spend $10,000 outside of collections and those same resources now in a collection might give you only a $5,000 discount. Make sense?

For me the upgrade question is not "How much discount do I get for previous purchases?" but "How many new resources would I be receiving for what I have to pay?" It is probable that there is so much new in Collector's 7 that was not in Portfolio 6 that you will be getting a substantial number of new volumes. If so, the cost per new resource may be very low. For me it would work out to about $2.00 a volume. I'd consider that a great deal if I wanted those volumes.

Just one other thought. If you are not a Logos Now subscriber, you might consider it before buying Collectors. The extra 5% discount you'd receive would more than offset the cost of the subscription. You might find that is true if you decide to upgrade to another collection besides Collector's.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS