Comparison between TDOT and VanGemeren's

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 206
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 15 2017 12:48 PM

I thought this has been asked before, but cannot find the post.  I am wondering what the differences are between these two resources.  I know, or would assume the TDOT is more exhaustive?  And the VanGemeren's would be more conservative?  But please, any input here would be great.  Thanks.

Posts 16552
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 3:53 PM

Michael S.:
I know, or would assume the TDOT is more exhaustive?

TDOT is also more expensive than NIDOTTE

TDOT (Botterweck, et al) => Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament (TDOT) (15 vols.)

NIDOTTE (VanGemeren) => New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (5 vols.)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 408
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 4:19 PM

It's too bad that Logos could not have the sale on TDOT that is going on elsewhere. A competitor has it for $149.99.

Posts 206
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 4:24 PM

Nord Zootman:

It's too bad that Logos could not have the sale on TDOT that is going on elsewhere. A competitor has it for $149.99.

Wow.  I wonder how they are able to sell it so cheap.  

Posts 2595
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 15 2017 4:51 PM

Nord Zootman:

Yep- and I jumped on it :)

Posts 1932
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 3:56 PM

Big Smile

I agree. I'd buy it in logos for $149.  WordSearch isn't the best Bible software out there so maybe they get it because the publisher feels bad for them? 

Posts 1187
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:37 AM

I saw this today and bought it right away: https://www.logos.com/product/5465/new-international-dictionary-of-old-testament-theology-and-exegesis 

Then I recalled this thread and started to wonder whether something is wrong. The NT counterpart is is also on sale https://www.logos.com/product/45403/new-international-dictionary-of-new-testament-theology-and-exegesis but the combined is not https://www.logos.com/product/129798/new-international-dictionary-of-theology-and-exegesis-old-and-new-testament 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 8690
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:51 AM

I couldn't resist myself at that price for NIDOTTE even if I don't do Hebrew...

I don't think something is wrong, or more wrong than usual, as this is just the way it is with this publisher's products (no dynamic pricing on the bundles either). But Logos will recognize that you own the bundle if you bought both parts.

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 7873
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 4:46 PM

NB.Mick:
But Logos will recognize that you own the bundle if you bought both parts.

Yes, that's my situation.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 779
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 6:32 PM

Both NIDOTTE and NIDNTTE are on sale, I have both and they are great resources. Even better since they are on sale! 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 808
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 7:28 PM

Keith Pang:

Both NIDOTTE and NIDNTTE are on sale, I have both and they are great resources. Even better since they are on sale! 

And yet another "silent" Zondervan sale from Logos. Like everyone else ,I always find out about these Zondervan sales from Accordance and WS and then check to see if they are on sale with Logos, which is pretty poor business from Logos IMHO.

The sale ends tomorrow (Feb 14th) with the competition, so I would imagine the same will apply to Logos

Posts 779
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 8:06 PM
David Carter:

And yet another "silent" Zondervan sale from Logos. Like everyone else ,I always find out about these Zondervan sales from Accordance and WS and then check to see if they are on sale with Logos, which is pretty poor business from Logos IMHO.

The sale ends tomorrow (Feb 14th) with the competition, so I would imagine the same will apply to Logos

Yeah I am not sure why that is either

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 206
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 9:38 AM

So, I got TDOT... what would I gain by getting the VanGemeren/DeSilva set?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.