Question - Working with the Mac Book Pro closed

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 16 2010 1:20 PM

Mac Life magazine this month has a review of a stand for the Mac Book/Pro that will stand the Mac Book/Pro up while closed and allow you to run the Mac Book/Pro using an external keyboard/mouse/monitor.  They noted the increased speed (in comparsion to just hooking the Mac Book up to an external monitor) with regards to a program like Photoshop.

Has any tried this set-up with L4 and their Mac Book/Pro?

Chris

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Posts 92
Felipe Chamy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 1:42 PM

Interesting

does it work just with Snow Leopard, or do I need a specific hardware MBP???

would love to hear about this and L4 Mac

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:48 PM

The article/review (It's part of a review for Twelvesouth Book Arc) doesn't say if any model Mac Book/Pro, OS, or hardware is needed.  It sounds like it's a feature of the Mac Book line-up.  Here's a couple of quotes from the article/review...

"Mac laptops have that ingenious 'lid-closed' mode, which lets you connect an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse then close the lid and wake the Mac back up by tapping a key.  This setup can actually speed up your Mac too.  With the lid closed, all of your graphics card's video memory is used for the external display, instead of being split between the external and the notebook display."

"Our Photoshop Actions test was 22 percent faster with the Mac's lid closed versus using the open laptop as an extended display."

Sounds like something to try when I get my hands on the newly refreshed Mac Book Pro's....

Chris

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Posts 1546
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:31 AM

It's called "clamshell mode." I have an old 1.83 c2d macbook with a dead screen, so I run it this way all the time. I suspect any performance gain is minimal, if you have dedicated graphics. With the  integrated graphics, at least the old ones, I can't even run my external monitor at the full 1920x1080 resolution unless I'm doing this.

The laptop doesn't have to stay closed, but closing it and waking it up while closed using external keyboard or mouse is how you activate this mode. I then open it back up so I can use the laptop keyboard, and the laptop display stays asleep while I use the external.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:49 AM

It's an ability MBP have had for awhile and I think my old PB could do it too. Your speed bump is from using 1 display instead of 2 displays. This boost would be in applications and/or processes that utilize the graphics cards heavily and/or rely on screen redraws.

I don't know how much Logos utilizes the processing power of the graphics card. I've done tests on my graphics cards for my day job, video production, in testing render options but not for Logos.   

I would think you'd get the same speed boost using the internal display as well instead of using 2 displays. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS