Extremely Frustrated

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 702
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 17 2017 8:37 AM

Denise:

I still remain mystified at video course people (no offense).  In college, I nearly died with lectures. I skipped all my math lectures in college and high math is my main professional tool of choice.

I get a book, start reading. Instantly the author is discussing a book I don't have. I don't get excited. One right now just can't let go of criticizing Jerome-Murphy, but ok.

I know many who really like videos, so obviously it's personal preference. But expecting side-reads. Hmmm.

It said I needed Platinum.  So, I buy video courses in a clear-eyed manner, knowing I may be short many resources, but accepting same.  Utilizing birthday, Christmas money, I can buy them.  Over time, I can overtake.

I never view them.  I do not want to hear them.  Read only......Y buy???  I have a course in my home.  And I do not have to meet any prof's standards, as I take no quizzes nor exams. My way is the highway I take to greater knowledge.

Posts 2828
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 17 2017 8:40 AM

Denise:
I still remain mystified at video course people (no offense).

In my experience, the Mobile Ed videos introduce content, but 90% of the practical education comes from readings. There's so much in the books that the instructor can't present (especially in a 6-minute video).

Posts 8637
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 17 2017 9:55 AM

Mark Barnes:
The age old dilemma. Study requires time, money and energy. The problem is that few of us have all three Smile. Teenagers and young adults have time and energy, but little money. Parents rarely have time, money or energy, unless their job involves study. The unemployed have time and energy, but no money. And retirees have time and sometimes money, but often little energy, unless they've managed to retire early.

How true!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 702
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 17 2017 11:03 AM

Mark Barnes:
That's in Starter and above, and it really is an excellent resource. It might be worth checking your upgrade price to Starter, especially given the current sale. You should find that it will be cheaper than the Encyclopaedia by itself.

Thanks, Mark.  Bought it.  The clincher is, I get Boice's ''Foundations,'' as well.

Posts 196
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 17 2017 3:48 PM

Marshall Harrison:

Hmm. Perhaps Logos would benefit from offering collections based on courses.

I'd be interested in that approach. Assuming dynamic pricing I'd just look at the total cost of the course including additional resources and budget accordingly. I think they'd also need to differentiate between the required and optional resources. I agree with Denise that much of the value of any course is locked away in the readings so I always purchase them. Unfortunately sometimes that means making non-Logos purchases because I have encountered courses that reference materials no available in the format. Jean Vanier being the most recent example I've encountered.

Jeremy

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 972
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 17 2017 3:53 PM

Marshall Harrison:

I'm shocked that they don't.  It seems like a obvious companion product.

Posts 702
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 17 2017 4:17 PM

EastTN:

Marshall Harrison:

I'm shocked that they don't.  It seems like a obvious companion product.

This would also shake loose products currently in bundles.

Posts 2811
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 6:58 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

They get you coming and going. They should include up front a list of all books needed like ... you know ... a real course at a school would do in a syllabus.

What Kevin said.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:01 AM

Michael Childs:

Kevin A. Purcell:

They get you coming and going. They should include up front a list of all books needed like ... you know ... a real course at a school would do in a syllabus.

What Kevin said.

What Kevin said was wrong. See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/156353/943769.aspx#943769 

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 201
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:05 AM

I really appreciate everyone's input and help. I'm happy now that I understand things better.

I'm still going broke though chasing endless resources. LOL

Posts 2828
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:09 AM

Michael Childs:

Kevin A. Purcell:

What Kevin said.

As NB.Mick pointed out, the list of books are available (either in the Courses tool, or the course's Faithlife group).

The only other place that FL could add the list would be on a course's product page.

I'd also like to see the list be made available much sooner for pre-pub courses, so we can buy necessary books when they are on sale well before the course ships. It's frustrating to find out after the fact that a course needed a book which recently had been on sale.

Posts 702
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:16 AM

NB.Mick:

Michael Childs:

Kevin A. Purcell:

What Kevin said.

What Kevin said was wrong. See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/156353/943769.aspx#943769 

Unless I have missed something, I see the documented list of Sugg. Readings + See Alsos available only after joining the FL Group.  I acquire this document by a click from the already purchased course.

The Product Course page should list the books in both these sections, greyed out if U own it + are logged in.

Posts 21173
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:26 AM

scooter:
Unless I have missed something, I see the documented list of Sugg. Readings + See Alsos available only after joining the FL Group.  I acquire this document by a click from the already purchased course.

You can get access to the documents on the Faithlife group simply by choosing to Follow the group - you don't need to purchase the course

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:35 AM

scooter:

NB.Mick:

Michael Childs:

Kevin A. Purcell:

What Kevin said.

As Graham explained, you don't need to purchase the course to obtain the document from the course's group. EDIT: You need to follow the group, though (regardless of course ownership). /EDIT

In addition to that, you don't need to own the course to see the list of recommended reading documents in the courses tool, which will show green checkmarks/grey locks, thus indicating your ownership of those resources (along with the number of times a resource will be suggested).

Posts 702
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:51 AM

NB.Mick:

As Graham explained, you don't need to purchase the course to obtain the document from the course's group. EDIT: You need to follow the group, though (regardless of course ownership). /EDIT

In addition to that, you don't need to own the course to see the list of recommended reading documents in the courses tool, which will show green checkmarks/grey locks, thus indicating your ownership of those resources (along with the number of times a resource will be suggested).

Thanks, NB.  The only way I know to get these docu. is to have the course.

I have ordered combo TH211 + TH212. Please give me the steps re how to get to these documents in advance.

Posts 21173
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:02 AM

For TH211 log into the Faithlife.com site and search for th211

Tap “doctrine of man” and then “follow”

Then select the Documents tab and you should see the documents

Posts 201
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:04 AM

Since I started tis thread yesterday morning, I have been playing with this and delving deeper. 

Using the spreadsheet from the FaithLife group you can easily sort on # of links  column to see how important a resource is to the course.

Using Tools/Courses you can see which suggested resources you own. But you can't sort the resources by the number of links. Still, scrolling down the list and looking at the # of links isn't to difficult.

Using the combination of the two really helps. For example I found that I would need to add approximately 30 resources to cover everything in NT176 but only need 18 new resources to cover ones with multiple links and the ones with the highest number of links are already in my library.

Two suggestions.

1. an easy way to add the missing resources to my wish list. You can do a quick buy already but I can't always afford that path.

2. Since you can already see a preview of the text for the missing resource it would be nice if the resource would show the text from the link. This would benefit the course taker but still not allow the preview to be so useful that no one would purchase it.

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:26 AM

scooter:
I have ordered combo TH211 + TH212. Please give me the steps re how to get to these documents in advance.

Sorry, according to its product page this course "Reformed Doctrine of God" is still in development, thus there is no Faithlife group yet and no entry in the courses tool - since not even a publication date is given on the page, it may very well be that the list of resources is not yet decided upon. 

I fully subscribe to Petah's wish above to see this kind of information as soon as it is available in the PrePub stage - this may help people acquire the resources they want to use in the course and on the other hand may convince people to sign up for the PrePub when they see they own a large share of the resources.  

Posts 702
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:28 AM

Graham Criddle:
For TH211 log into the Faithlife.com site and search for th211

Thank you, Graham.  I will remember, now.

This will work for courses where FL has entered its Readings List.

For Under Dev courses such as NT211, FL has not vouchsafed a list, as yet.  Petah is right: the sooner the better.

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 8:29 AM

Marshall Harrison:

Using the spreadsheet from the FaithLife group you can easily sort on # of links  column to see how important a resource is to the course.

Using Tools/Courses you can see which suggested resources you own. But you can't sort the resources by the number of links. Still, scrolling down the list and looking at the # of links isn't to difficult.

Using the combination of the two really helps.

Glad to hear that! 

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS