Disappointed in lack of distribution of resource

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 496
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 18 2017 10:21 AM

I was browsing through the sale page and happened upon the book of Timothy Keller about Christmas (https://www.logos.com/product/145016/hidden-christmas-the-surprising-truth-behind-the-birth-of-christ) at a very reasonable price. I started reading the first 7 pages available and really liked what I read. I decided to buy the book, and I was greeted with the following message:

"Unable to distribute Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ to your country."

What a huge disappointment. I wished Logos made a remark about this on the landing page. It would have saved me some time and huge disappointment.

Posts 27429
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:03 AM

I am sure it is very frustrating. Worse, however, is when trying to purchase Vyrso resources in the same situation... no appropriate warning is given! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 496
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:25 AM

alabama24:

I am sure it is very frustrating. Worse, however, is when trying to purchase Vyrso resources in the same situation... no appropriate warning is given! 

I just wonder why the publisher will not allow an electronic book to my country

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:28 PM

Sarel Slabbert:
I just wonder why the publisher will not allow an electronic book to my country

Could it be that a different company has distribution rights in your country?

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 12:57 PM

Sarel Slabbert:

"Unable to distribute Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ to your country."

What a huge disappointment.

That is frustrating. Publishing rights vary from country to country depending non how contracts are developed.

Sarel Slabbert:
I wished Logos made a remark about this on the landing page.

That would have been helpful.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 860
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 1:02 PM

Sarel Slabbert:
What a huge disappointment. I wished Logos made a remark about this on the landing page. It would have saved me some time and huge disappointment.

I'm very sorry about the confusion here. We usually add a note to the product page noting territory restrictions. In this case it slipped past us.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 2:44 PM

It seems that I can buy any ebook on Amazon Kindle. How is it that books are restricted on LOGOS and VYRSO?

Can someone please explain this to me????

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 3:30 PM

Was this cheaper earlier in the month?  I can't remember. 

Posts 293
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 12:24 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

It seems that I can buy any ebook on Amazon Kindle. How is it that books are restricted on LOGOS and VYRSO?

Can someone please explain this to me????

Probably two reasons:

- Amazon as huge multinational company has more relationships with various publishers than Faithlife

- Amazon will not even show you eBooks that you are not eligible to buy

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 2:25 AM

Kenute P. Curry:
It seems that I can buy any ebook on Amazon Kindle.

You can't buy any eBook on Amazon Kindle. They have separate sites for US, British, German, Japanese, etc. customers, so on amazon.com you only see ones available for sale in the US. Try visiting amazon.co.uk and seeing how many ebooks you can buy!

Vyrso is actually much better than Amazon for availability, at least for customers outside the US. There are often times when a book is only available on Amazon's US site (i.e. not to European or Asian customers), but is available at Vyrso for everyone.

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 5:45 AM

Thanks Bernhard and Mark Banes. Just trying to understand it all, because every restricted book on VYRSO, I have been able to buy on Amazon Kindle. Have never been turned down by Amazon Kindle, not even just once; that is not to say that I won't be. So, as I have already said; just trying to get some understanding of it all.

Posts 27429
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 6:18 AM

Kenute P. Curry:
I have been able to buy on Amazon Kindle. Have never been turned down by Amazon Kindle, not even just once

...but from your country's Amazon store, right?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 7:16 AM

I don't even know if we have an Amazon Store here in the Bahamas alabama24

Seriously, I don't. I do know that we are closely connected with the United States; especially Florida. Maybe that's it. I don't know.

Posts 293
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 8:05 AM

Are you using a Bahamas based address and credit card on both Amazon and Logos?

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 8:23 AM

No Bernhard

I use a U.S. based address, and a Bahamian Credit Card.

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 8:26 AM

Kenute P. Curry:

That's why you're seeing no restrictions on that site. If your registered Amazon address is in the US, then you'll be able to purchase everything on Amazon.com. If your registered address was in another country, you'd have to use another Amazon site to purchase eBooks, and you'd have very different availability.

Posts 293
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 9:14 AM

Mark Barnes:

Kenute P. Curry:

That's why you're seeing no restrictions on that site. If your registered Amazon address is in the US, then you'll be able to purchase everything on Amazon.com. If your registered address was in another country, you'd have to use another Amazon site to purchase eBooks, and you'd have very different availability.

Does your Faithlife account use the same address? I wonder, if Faithlife actually uses the credit card to determine your location?

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 10:54 AM

Bernhard:
Does your Faithlife account use the same address? I wonder, if Faithlife actually uses the credit card to determine your location?

Faithlife does use your credit card billing address to determine the users’ location. Amazon, surprisingly, allows users to arbitrarily set a location address without requiring verification via a credit card. 

Posts 1576
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 11:08 AM

Thank you gentlemen for clearing that issue up for me. Big Smile

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 11:15 AM

Mark Barnes:

Bernhard:

Faithlife does use your credit card billing address to determine the users’ location. Amazon, surprisingly, allows users to arbitrarily set a location address without requiring verification via a credit card. 

Maybe that differs according to various circumstances. At least, back in the day long ago when I tried Amazon to accept me buying from .com instead of .de, the system required some proof I was unable to deliver, so I kept stuck with .de for non-physical purchases.

Since the same publisher sells the ebook in Kindle format on Amazon.de as on Amazon.com, so the rights are not split up between various parochial legal companies, I think in the current instance it may be just the fact that the individual contracting with Logos has no mandate to negotiate global deals. It is weird (the current trend for de-globalization of the world will probably make such things worse).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS