Exodus 32:8

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 27 2017 9:34 PM

I am looking at this passage is the LES but I noticed the word sacrifice is not there. But in other lxx translations, it is. Is this an error in LES or a textual variant? 

They   have   turned   away   quickly   from   the   conduct   concerning   which
παρέβησαν1 ταχὺ2 ἐκ3 τῆς4 ὁδοῦ5 ἧς6
    parabainō   tachys ek ho hodos   hos
    VAAI3P   B P DGSF NGSF   RR-GSF
  I   commanded   them They   have   made   for   themselves   a   young   bull  
ἐνετείλω7 αὐτοῖς8 ἐποίησαν9 ἑαυτοῖς10 μόσχον11
  entellō autos     poieō   heautou   moschos  
  VAMI2S RP3DPM     VAAI3P   RF3DPM   NASM  
and   have   worshiped   it   and   even   said
καὶ12 προσκεκυνήκασιν13 αὐτῷ14 καὶ15 εἶπαν16
kai   proskyneō autos kai   legō
C   VRAI3P RP3DSM C   VAAI3P

Brannan, R., Penner, K. M., Loken, I., Aubrey, M., & Hoogendyk, I. (Eds.). (2012). The Lexham English Septuagint (Ex 32:8). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.
Posts 2768
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 28 2017 5:19 AM

Exodus 32:8

Exo 32:8 they have quickly gone out of the way which thou commandedst; they have made for themselves a calf, and worshipped it, and sacrificed to it, and said, These are thy gods, O Israel, who brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.    Brenton [[No split at V9]]

Exo 32:8 [ 8 ] They have deviated quickly from the way that you commanded them. They made for themselves a calf and did obeisance to it and offered sacrifices to it, and they said,  [ 9 ] These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt.   NETS

Exo 32:8 8 They have turned away quickly from the conduct concerning which I commanded them. They have made for themselves a young bull and have worshiped it and even said, 9 ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.’   LES

Have the translators seen the words translated as 'worshipped' and 'sacrifices' as just 'worshiped'?  That is how do you worship a golden calf?  

Posts 361
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 28 2017 5:40 AM

Blair,

The LES is based on Swete's edition of the LXX.

The <sacrifice> words are in Codex Alexandrinus but not in other txx of the LXX.

Stephen Miller

Australia

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS