Need help on "Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash (3 vols.)"

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 365
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 30 2017 7:31 AM

Please consider putting in a prepub order for Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash (3 vols.).   Thanks!!!

This reference work is unique in the entire world. It is the only work that has ever compiled, verse by verse, such extensive background quotations from Jewish literature around the time of Christ for every passage in the New Testament. But until now, it was only available in German.
With this resource in English, we no longer have to depend on commentators who confidently claim (sometimes incorrectly), “The rabbis at the time of Christ taught this or that,” because now all the relevant quotations from this vast and diverse rabbinic literature can be quickly found here in one place – and in English rather than the original Hebrew. Every pastor, every New Testament scholar, everyone interested in first century history, and every library, should have this work. It will greatly enrich our understanding of the historical setting in which Jesus and the apostles lived and taught, and deepen our understanding of how Jesus is the true Jewish Messiah, and enrich our understanding of the New Testament itself.

—Wayne Grudem, Research Professor of Theology and Biblical Studies, Phoenix Seminary

Posts 99
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 30 2017 8:42 AM

Yes

I placed my order on 2/4/17.

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 30 2017 9:57 AM

I placed my order in April 2013!!! This is STILL a standard reference and much needed for research!

Posts 10033
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 30 2017 2:29 PM

For anyone interested, the resource title (and Logos write-up) is somewhat constricting.

Just as an example in Jude, in addition to the Talmud and similar,  you have references to Josephus, Jubilees, Enoch, the Testaments of Benjamin and Naphtali, and the Targums, plus several OT apocrypha. It's pretty wide-ranging in discussion.

Posts 292
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 30 2017 10:36 PM

I've been in almost from the very beginning...still waiting. Sad

Posts 77
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 31 2017 2:46 AM

The German version is available in Logos.

Time to learn German :-)

Posts 365
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 15 2018 3:44 PM

How about some love for this great resource??   Thanks

Posts 10033
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 15 2018 4:58 PM

Hans:

The German version is available in Logos.

Time to learn German :-)

That's what I did (more accurately, guessing the german). I haven't seen a successful Logos translation project. But I could be wrong.

Posts 365
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 16 2018 5:30 AM

Alas, my German does not extend beyond auf wiedersehen so not an option for me 

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 16 2018 6:38 AM

Also no German here but would love the English version. As noted > I placed my order in April 2013!!! This is STILL a standard reference and much needed for research!

Posts 3110
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 16 2018 7:23 AM

Grudem highly recommends it!

https://today.faithlife.com/2017/10/24/

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 17 2018 7:03 AM

Robert Neely:
Please consider putting in a prepub order for Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash (3 vols.).   Thanks!!!

I placed an order on June 6th, 2013

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 12
bsc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:22 AM

What do we want? Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Midrash.

When do we want it?  Now!

Posts 365
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:38 PM

Amen!!!!

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 7:38 PM

Agreed since I placed my order in April 2013!

Posts 418
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 8:57 PM

I would love to see this work completed, My order went in on 28 March 2013, but I'm happy to keep a bid on the table because this is such a potentially useful work to have in the Logos library.

I do commend Faithlife for working on this and hope to see it made available! 

Keep well  Paul 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS