Mormon Leader Thomas Monson Dies at 90

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10462
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 3 2018 9:38 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/obituaries/thomas-monson-dies.html 

I know this forum is pretty negative in this area. And I'm not Mormon, though 'the west' has a high percent. 

The reason I posted is the curiousity of Monson opening the Mormon histories, and letting members make their own conclusions. And the 'opening' had some major money behind it. Not just words. And quite a bit of apologizing .... Mormon Meadows being one I watched; drove up there a lot.

Logos, maybe accidentally, is similar. Opening up information, long available to the few. I've been Bob's critic, but 'Logos' as a door to making your own decisions, has been really good. A good example into the future.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 3 2018 12:08 PM

I am sorry for his family's and friends loss... I may have many issues with his faith, but he still was a child of God. Condolences to all who morn his loss.

-dan

Posts 643
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 3 2018 2:35 PM

Dan Francis:

but he still was a child of God.

-dan

Ah hum...oh, where is that theological discussion forum when you need it?  Luke 20.36; John 1.12; John 11.52; Phil. 2.15

Posts 6665
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 3 2018 3:00 PM

Michael S.:

Dan Francis:

but he still was a child of God.

-dan

Ah hum...oh, where is that theological discussion forum when you need it?  Luke 20.36; John 1.12; John 11.52; Phil. 2.15

A child of God by nature of creation not spiritual birth. That’s how I see it.  We’re all children of God because he’s the father of his creation 👍😁👌

Posts 643
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 3 2018 5:54 PM

Weak, and definitely not supported Biblically.  The verses I cite leaves no room for that interpretation.  But again, this is not the theological discussion forum Wink

Posts 469
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 4 2018 6:17 AM

Michael S.:

Weak, and definitely not supported Biblically.  The verses I cite leaves no room for that interpretation.  But again, this is not the theological discussion forum Wink

True, but what about some other verses? 

Luke has no problem calling Adam a child of God (Luke 3:38), a fortiori all humans are children of God by virtue of our common ancestry in Adam. Not that it does as much good since in Adam all die (Romans 5:12-14; 1 Corinthians 15:22). As you rightly pointed out earlier, Michael S, what is needed is for us to become true children of God - something which comes, not by human descent (ie. through Adam or Abraham), but by being born again of God (John 1:13, 3:3-8). 

Plus, I wouldn't say this is a theological discussion, more one of biblical interpretation. Stick out tongue

Carpe verbum.

Posts 53
Ezra Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 6 2018 7:24 PM

Why wouldn't you have debates on a website that is in the business of selling books on the subject of Christianity?

Posts 6665
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 6 2018 7:55 PM

Michael S.:

Have you not read Acts 17:28-29; James 1:17; Psalm 68:5. Sound theology and sound interpretation reveal God is the Father of His creation and that has nothing to do with Him ALSO being a Father of those born AGAIN spiritually (John 3:3-5; etc.)

The Scriptural support is there for both interpretations. The problem is you are letting your emotions get in the way just because the deceased was a mormon.  Now, If I had said or anybody else had said that the mormon was a spiritual child of God, then we would have a problem. I guess the issue was Dan Not specifying what he meant, but then again, even if we knew what he meant, we still wouldn’t be allowed to discuss the issue anyway.

👍😉👌

DAL

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 6 2018 8:18 PM

Two other takes, one from Harvard Divinity School prof and The Atlantic. 

https://hds.harvard.edu/news/2018/01/05/after-monson-passing-what’s-next-mormon-church 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/mormon-prophet/549773/ 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 7 2018 10:20 AM

I meant Child in the broadest terms I was not meaning to imply any sort of sortiological implications as that would most likely go against forum rules. I may strongly disagree with his theology but am not going there.

-dan

Posts 6665
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 7 2018 10:31 AM

Dan Francis:

I meant Child in the broadest terms I was not meaning to imply any sort of sortiological implications as that would most likely go against forum rules. I may strongly disagree with his theology but am not going there.

-dan

I knew it! 👍😁👌 And it is a Biblical assessment strongly taught in the Bible. 

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS