Notes, Clippings, and Workflows

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 15 2018 1:22 PM

I know there have been numerous posts on the use of notes and clippings. Therefore, I am not looking for "how to's" on the functionality of these tools, but simply ideas to better utilize what I have. For instance, some pictures of layouts or ideas on workflow. I know about the videos available, so I am looking for forum user suggestions. 

Currently, I highlight each book or commentary in their own separate file, then I have a note file open for the particular set of verses I am going through where I type things into. At times, it feels like I am doubling up on work, but this is what makes sense to me (I think). 

Items that are open: Favorite Bible, Commentary, Passage List, Note file on Bible Book, Note file on commentary, etc.

Any help would be appreciated as I seek to continue studying God's Word and become more diligent in the use of Logos.

Posts 29624
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 17 2018 11:37 PM

Another bump for an unanswered post to which I have no relevant input.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 334
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 18 2018 7:48 AM

Hi Sean,

I'm not sure what you are using the notes and clippings for, but since you mentioned "work flow" then I will tell you how I use it for sermon prep. I do not use the notes tool when I am researching. I would rather use the clippings tool and if I need to make a note, I use the notes section at the bottom of the clipping. I will tag each clipping with a number, or the verse it comments on, or sermon point it might connect to, or with introduction or conclusion. This way I have an idea of where I can find it again when I'm done. When I have my research & clippings done, I will open up a mind mapping tool. I use Blumind because it fills my three requirements-  It's simple, I understand it, and it's free. Then I will go down through my clippings, grouping them together for different points of my sermon. Usually when I'm done I have a pretty basic outline and can see the flow of the sermon. This may not work for you, but it's the method to my madness. In my mind, notes and clippings when researching are an overkill to what I need to accomplish. 

Posts 526
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 18 2018 7:53 AM

Hi Sean, 

This is a great thread idea. 

---- notes ----

FWIW I try to keep my notes section as uncluttered as possible.

All notes directly on bible verses or passages go in my 'bible notes' note document. Each note is attached to the verse reference so that I can find it any Bible translation I have open, then I make sure to attach the references to any commentaries or logos books I'm quoting from so I can find the quotes again.

Next, all bible notes are color corindateted thematic as so: 

• Orange: God, sp. The Father or gn. God's character, attributes, etc.
  • Mauve: The Son - Jesus, kingship, royalty, etc; The Angel of the LORD.
  • Blue: The Holy Spirit, fruit of, gifts of, actions of
  • Re:  Sin, evil, warnings, judgment, etc.
  • Green: Salvation, Scripture, Revelation.
  • Gray: Ethical Issues
  • Purple: The Christian Life, the Church
  • Black: Cross-Refs, Original language, Background and context, Misc. 

Think of it like I'm creating for myself the largest, most comprehensive, custom study bible.

In the same way, I all highlights and notes on any none biblical material (books, commentaries, etc.) go into a single note document called 'General reading'. For this I use the following highlighters:

• Bookmark: self-explanatory; helpful when reading multiple books at one time.
  • Definitions: again fairly self-evident, used to highlight definitions of keywords and terms
  • Disagree: things I object too or think are plain wrong.
  • Key points: Easily used the most. My go-to highlighter for marking out the follow of an argument or book
  • Pastoral: any applications, insights, quotes that are particularly relevant to church leadership, pastoral care, counseling, discipleship, etc.
  • Questions: Something I am unclear on or need to research further. allows me to keep ready and come back if I need to
  • Questionable: Anything that makes me furrow my brow and go "hmmm". Often it is not about whether I agree or not, but whether the logic or conclusion seems flawed or faulty. Get used more often than you might think.
  • References?: Again, used more often than you think. Statements, quotations, statistics, etc. that an author has not sited e.g. Calvin famously said: "35% of statistics are made up of the spot. 10% of quotes are never referenced because the person quoted never said it."
  • Standout: great quotes, pure and simple.

Finally, all conference notes, bible study outlines, orders of service, and previous sermons are processed into another single note document and tagged with the relevant Bible references. Not only does this enhance the custom study bible ethos I'm pursuing, it also means I have sermons, sermon notes, bible studies, and service outlines ready at a moments notice. 

I also have a journal note document for any random thoughts and reflections I have throughout the day (or night).

I keep all these things in single note documents, A. for ease, B. I hate clutter, and C. the ability to keyword search 'Your documents' in Logos search really precludes the need to separate them out by book, passage, commentary etc. (imho). 

Finally, I see Logos as a tool nothing more. A very expensive, very powerful tool that helps me, and those I serve, grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. Thus, everything I do in Logos in terms of note taking is to leverage that tool to aid me in being changed God's word, and teach it to others, so that they would be changed also. Hence, I use logos to create the world's most comprehensive study bible. 

Question: What task do you want to apply your 'Logos tool' too? How can you use notes, highlights, etc. to achieve that goal?

---- Workflow----

I've never used clippings. Dunno why. 

As to workflow, I use my laptop (1) and Tablet as a dual monitor (2). 

Screen 1: has lexicons, interlinears, dictionaries, sermon documents on the left. Commentaries, other books, etc.

Screen 2: bibles with morphological visual filters. 

I've also found it helpful to create lots of collections eg. "Systematic theologies", or "dictionaries" or "Devotionals" or "Pastoral Care" and then use logos to keyword search them. I also add my most used ones to the passage guide.

---

Feel free to ask any questions, can provide screenshots if you'd like. Liam

Carpe verbum.

Posts 20
BobFar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 10:22 AM

Wow, this is a good thread and just what I am looking for.

I am currently trying to figure out how I want to do things. I have had Logos since Logos 3 and have always had all my notes on Bible verses in a single Note file. I thought about dividing it up into each book, but don't want the clutter.

I use the favorites to set up specific topics. For instance under M I will have the folder Marriage which I put different items.

I am currently thinking about getting away from the single notes file and using Favorites. The idea would be to create a folder Genesis. Then create a note file Genesis which would go into the folder Genesis. The note file would be my own commentary of notes on Genesis. I would then do this for each book and instead of going to Documents I would just go to my Favorites.

I hope others post here.

Posts 2136
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 11:26 AM

Bobby Farris Jr:
I am currently thinking about getting away from the single notes file and using Favorites.

One suggestion could be to CONTINUE to use Notes, AND copy them into "Favorites"  Think of your Note file as a book on the shelf and Favorites as your index or Card Catalog (for those who are old school Big Smile) For example I could jot down my notes on Genesis 12 in a Note document and then I can drag (which copies a shortcut or alias) that folder into my Genesis folder under Favorites AND my topical folders of Covenant, Mt. Moriah, Messianic Prophecy, etc.

One example of how this works when I have both Topical and Textual Favorites is: I am in a Seminary class studying "Baptism" as addressed in Romans 6:3-4. I have a "Romans 6:3-4 Personal Observations" Note File and I have dragged (created a shortcut in Favorites) to my Romans folder, My DR30060 (the class number) folder and my baptism folder.  I also have created Clippings Files for each textbook I consult and drag shortcuts of that clippings file into the appropriate TEXT and TOPICS. I also create a "Resource Specific Highlight Palette" that saves to a "Resource Specific Note File" I can drag shortcuts to "Four Views on Baptism" Clippings and Highlights into both my DR30060 Favorite Folder and my Baptism Favorite Folder.

In this way my DR 30060 Favorite Folder contains shortcuts to clipping documents from each of the textbooks I read for this class, Highlight/Note documents from each of the textbooks I read for the class and personal observations from each of the scripture texts I studied for this class.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 526
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 3:03 PM

David Thomas:

One example of how this works when I have both Topical and Textual Favorites is: I am in a Seminary class studying "Baptism" as addressed in Romans 6:3-4. I have a "Romans 6:3-4 Personal Observations" Note File and I have dragged (created a shortcut in Favorites) to my Romans folder, My DR30060 (the class number) folder and my baptism folder.  I also have created Clippings Files for each textbook I consult and drag shortcuts of that clippings file into the appropriate TEXT and TOPICS. I also create a "Resource Specific Highlight Palette" that saves to a "Resource Specific Note File" I can drag shortcuts to "Four Views on Baptism" Clippings and Highlights into both my DR30060 Favorite Folder and my Baptism Favorite Folder.

I dunno, if it works for you great. But it seems like a lot of work to set up and keep constantly maintained. I reckon that the smart money is still on keep things in one or two places and using the references and tags on each note entry to achieve the same end. In this way, each note document is like the draw of a filing cabinet, with the tags, and references all acting like the dividers inside the draw. Personally, I think this way of looking at it makes favorites redundant.

If you ask me, Logos is set up towards allowing its indexing to do the hard work of organizing your individual note entries so that its powerful search functions can sniff out what you need fast than fast. So, in your same class, I would simply open up my customised passage guide on Romans 6:3-4, which would not only mine all my resources and custom collections but would also pull out everything in my 'bible notes' document and 'general reading' relating to Romans 6:3-4 as well.

Then if I wanted to cast the net wider, I'd open topic guide, type 'Baptism' then select "search for <Topic Baptism> OR Baptism OR "Baptismal Rites" OR Baptisms OR Baptize" and set the range to 'Your Documents". Since I only have three core note files, I can find what I need swiftly without trawling through tons or individual documents relating to individual books or bible passages.

Simply, another perspective. Hope it helps.

Carpe verbum.

Posts 233
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 7:29 PM

This is my initial setup for sermon preparation. I have My Passage Guide, a Clipping, and Search for sermon illustrations ready on the left. I have various English, Greek, Hebrew, and German Bible translations in the middle, commentaries below which I will insert along the bottom. I create a Clipping file for the sermon. I write the sermon in a note file (organized by Scripture reference). When I am finished, I make a Powerpoint, a sermon hand out and print my sermon. 

Following the sermon, I publish my sermon on Patheos. 

I use a note file by year to write book reviews of books that I read (if they are not in Logos). 

I use a note file by year to write my daily devotional. Many times, these daily devotional will end up in a sermon. 

When I get to preparing sermons, then when I look in My Documents, I have a set of resources for sermon preparation. 

When I read a book that is in Logos, I write a book review note file. I highlight sentences, stories, quotes, and then tag them with topics. 

I have a jokes note file, stories note file, and quotes note file. I pick these up from places like Facebook or online and copy the information and the hyperlink. 

I also use a note file by year to plan out sermons and sermon series. 

After five years, these notes and clippings have improved my workflow. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Posts 93
Joey Midgett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 4:11 AM

I love this thread, keep the ideas coming. Me being fairly new to Logos, this thread has already helped me tremendously.

Posts 2136
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 3:29 PM

LMAM:
Simply, another perspective. Hope it helps.

Yes, some people use tags and searches. My system is derivative of my paper files that started long before I started using Logos in 2003 so it works with my pre-established workflow and org. To each his own!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 5:39 PM

I also love this thread.  Great information.  I am trying to search the forums but can't find anything.  Are there any other threads that show layouts that people use?  Or how they have notes setup?

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 2136
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 8:38 PM

Brad:
Are there any other threads that show layouts that people use?  Or how they have notes setup?

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/73828/516393.aspx#516393 

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 8:01 AM

Great thank you so much David.

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS