Fantastic new Presentation Options for L4

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:59 AM

With some of the improvements that have been made to L4 I wanted to make everyone aware of a great way of using L4 for Bible Study using a projector. Unfortunately I can't create a video for this but if someone who can understands what I'm saying below I think it would be beneficial.

Connect your computer to a projector in extended desktop mode. Open two instances of your preferred Bible linked together, one in your docked window and one in a floating window. Move the floating window to your projector display, turn off sympathetic highlighting in the floating window and set it to reading mode. Also turn off any highlighter pallets and notes you do not want displayed to the study (this may be a feature of the current beta not yet available to everyone). You may want to create a pallet called "presentation highlights." Assign each of those highlights a keyboard shortcut. Now select some text in the docked Bible, press your keyboard shortcut, and it will be highlighted in the floating window displayed to the Bible study or congregation. Plus you can increase the font to a manageable level and the Bible Study Does not get distracted by the cursor going across the screen.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:07 AM

Philip Spitzer:

With some of the improvements that have been made to L4 I wanted to make everyone aware of a great way of using L4 for Bible Study using a projector. Unfortunately I can't create a video for this but if someone who can understands what I'm saying below I think it would be beneficial.

Connect your computer to a projector in extended desktop mode. Open two instances of your preferred Bible linked together, one in your docked window and one in a floating window. Move the floating window to your projector display, turn off sympathetic highlighting in the floating window and set it to reading mode. Also turn off any highlighter pallets and notes you do not want displayed to the study (this may be a feature of the current beta not yet available to everyone). You may want to create a pallet called "presentation highlights." Assign each of those highlights a keyboard shortcut. Now select some text in the docked Bible, press your keyboard shortcut, and it will be highlighted in the floating window displayed to the Bible study or congregation. Plus you can increase the font to a manageable level and the Bible Study Does not get distracted by the cursor going across the screen.

I have never used Logos for a presentation, but I am intrigued by the idea, and I easily understood your procedure.  Thank you!  (I did pull out my lap top to look at an underlying Greek word in SS yesterday--that's "Sunday School" in case I have European friends reading this)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2004
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 7:33 AM

Philip Spitzer:

I have used Logos 4 for teaching exegetical classes and OT and NT survey classes in our district ministerial studies training classes. It is a great way to highlight what you are trying to teach.

Posts 3251
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:20 AM

Great Idea- to bad we don't have a way to mark this type of subject to a favorites so we can keep them, without having to search the forums again.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:27 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Great Idea- to bad we don't have a way to mark this type of subject to a favorites so we can keep them, without having to search the forums again.

Whyndell, it looks like we have the capability under the "more" button, but things are not showing up in our profile area . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:42 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

I agree.  What I have been doing the last several months is simply to copy and paste information like Phillip shared into a Word document called "Logos How To's"  It's a least a record for when I have time to investigate the ideas.

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:48 AM

What I've done, and it not might be the way others want to collect info from the forums, is to make a favorite of a thread in IE "Favorites" using folders arranged topically.

Posts 3251
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:16 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Whyndell, it looks like we have the capability under the "more" button, but things are not showing up in our profile area . . .

Exactly! Big Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:42 AM

Why not create a folder in Favorites in L4 and name it Forum Fav. Then copy the forum post to L4's favorites and rename it appropriately. i have my favorites off the forum in L4's Favorites.

see wiki Adding Internet Links to Favorites

This way you can save forum favorite posts to L4 and get to them easily.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 6
Terry Isabell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:11 PM

Philip, you posted some helpful info today about highlighting and  using L4 with a projector.

Assign each of those highlights a keyboard shortcut --  How do I do that?

Thank you!

Terry Smile

Posts 6
Terry Isabell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:14 PM

Steve, how do I go about copying those posts into that folder? I can't see an option to paste there.

Thank you,

Terry

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:22 PM

Terry Isabell:

This may be a feature in the Beta, I don't remember.

Right click on a highlight style and see if the is there

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:22 PM

Terry Isabell:

Philip, you posted some helpful info today about highlighting and  using L4 with a projector.

Thank you!

Terry Smile

I'm using the Beta but I think the ability is there in 4.0b. could be wrong, though. Open up your highlighting palletes (tools>highlighting). Right click on the highlighting style you want a shortcut for. near the bottom of the list should be a "shortcut" option with an arrow on the right. Click the arrow and select the letter you want to assign the shortcut to. then go to the resource you want to highlight, select the text you want to highlight and simply push the letter you assigned. If it is not available to you i guess you'll have to wait a couple weeks :-)

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:50 PM

Terry Isabell:
Steve, how do I go about copying those posts into that folder? I can't see an option to paste there.

Terry,

You actually copy a link from your browser into the Logos4 Favorites window. This is explained on the wiki page Adding Internet Links to Favorites . There are instructions there will illustrations. If it is still unclear let me know.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 6
Terry Isabell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:53 PM

My brothers, thank you so much for replying to my questions!  Apparently  I have the Beta version.  Mine says "Logos Bible Software 4.0b SR1 (4.02.3.7704) and yet, all I get with a rt mouse click on any of the Highlighting styles is the option of creating a new pallette.  There are 4 other options in the list (rt menu) but they are greyed out and non functional. Your work in showing me what you have is muchly appreciated.  Wow! This software has so much in it, I have a lot to learn.

I'll try to figure out why mine won't do what yours does.  Maybe someone will have some more input.

Terry

Posts 6
Terry Isabell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 7:13 PM

Steve, thanks!  I'm able now to add IE8 links to L4 Favorites.

Terry

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:10 PM

Terry Isabell:
Apparently  I have the Beta version.  Mine says "Logos Bible Software 4.0b SR1 (4.02.3.7704) and yet,

this is actually the current service release. The current beta release would say 4.0C. Keyboard shortcuts for highlighting styles must be a beta thing, then.

Posts 210
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:20 PM

Philip Spitzer:

this is actually the current service release. The current beta release would say 4.0C. Keyboard shortcuts for highlighting styles must be a beta thing, then.

It's not in the SR2 service release either.

Gerry

Posts 3707
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:43 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Mine show up in my profile area - I click my name in the upper right corner of the forum and my profile opens up.  On the left and side is a box called "Shared Favorites".  At the bottom of the box is a link to "View all favorites".  I just added these posts to my favorites and it shows up.  Am I missing something that you are trying to accomplish?

Be sure you are logged and not using the forum as a guest.  When I am out and about, I will occasionally use a library or school computer to access the forums - but then the default is be a guest rather than a registered user.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:21 AM

Floyd Johnson:
Mine show up in my profile area - I click my name in the upper right corner of the forum and my profile opens up.  On the left and side is a box called "Shared Favorites".  At the bottom of the box is a link to "View all favorites".  I just added these posts to my favorites and it shows up

Floyd,

How do you "add these posts to my favorites"? I click on "View all favorites," but all it says it that I have not added any favorites yet, but I cannot figure out how to add them.

Thanks for the help!

Charlene

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS