Security and Privacy Concern about Logos4 Phonning Home

Page 15 of 15 (285 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15
This post has 284 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 1943
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 3:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, Mark.

It's mostly academic for me. I'm not counseling people such that their personal information is in my prayer lists, nor am I a missionary in an authoritarian country. As long as Logos doesn't lose my credit card data, I don't worry about my clippings or searches. If they're compromised, maybe someone will read them and come to know the Lord.

Donnie

Posts 25856
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 6:04 PM

Donnie Hale:

Rather than trying to keep them in sync, can you just copy one installation in its entirety anytime the program, resources, and/or metadata are updated? It appears you'd have to leave the "Documents\{random}" folder alone, as it contains all your personal work product.

I have reservations about a copy of the entire \logos4 folder (below). I regularly update my laptop from the desktop computer using the basics of Method 1 or 2:-

• update the software as needed
  • delete the existing folders in \Data\{random} and \Documents\{random}
  • copy the \Data\{random} and \Documents\{random} folders from the backup

You don't have to copy the \Documents folder, particularly if the destination is an offline computer whose work you want to preserve.

Donnie Hale:
Given that L4 is a lot less dependent (implicitly or explicitly) on the registry than most Windows apps (primarily because it's a .NET app), it seems like a straight file system copy of the whole thing should have a chance of working?

If the installations have different versions I always update the software to avoid potential issues with the registry eg. when Smart Tags was introduced!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 6:28 PM

Nothing has changed since I first said it: From April 26th: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/15836/122701.aspx#122701

"The greatest Constitutional mind of the 20th Century is Robert Bork. He was right to say privacy rights are NOT enumerated in the US Constitution. The US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals agreed when they allowed the FBI to hack a 15 yr old's computer to catch him making bomb threats.

Logos syncing with the Cloud is not a new threat to your privacy. Pandora's box was opened years ago. Your private details are all over the web. Ever bought from Am@zon? They use a half-dozen database mirrors located around the world. Mainland China hosts one of their server farms. The US Govt. secured 100,000 blank, reusable, re-assignable, domestic wiretap warrants to fight "terrorism." Are there really 100,000 terrorists out there? Recently millions of credit card numbers were stolen in one breach.  Madison Avenue has been collecting your purchasing data for decades. Your new cable TV boxes can report back what you watch and what commercials you skip. It's a little late to start worrying, if you haven't already been wary. Logos 4 is the least of your worries.

When Lady Godiva rode the horse through town nude, she gave up her rights to privacy! So did the Emperor when he donned his new clothes."

In light of Amazon shutting down Wikileaks server access I just want to suggest everybody just avoid putting anything on computer you could not survive becoming public. There is NO WAY you can secure everything from everyone if you place it on a hard drive.  (If privacy is really what you want, just don't put it on your computer.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 29591
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:41 PM

Matthew C Jones:
is not a new threat to your privacy.

if you grew up in a small rural town or a large family, you would never have bought into the myth of privacy. The likelihood that you should be doing anything

Matthew C Jones:
you could not survive becoming public.
should be about zero.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 8:42 PM

MJ. Smith:

Matthew C Jones:
is not a new threat to your privacy.

if you grew up in a small rural town or a large family, you would never have bought into the myth of privacy. The likelihood that you should be doing anything

Matthew C Jones:
you could not survive becoming public.
should be about zero.

I grew up in a country with public baths. My bedroom walls were paper sliding doors. I lived in a city that never slept (Tokyo) with millions of people, half the population underground at any given time. I had to carry my alien registration with me at all times.

Then I returned to America and I lost my privacy.     Big Smile

can anybody say  "irs, atf, fbi, secret service, keystone cops, wiretaps and warrant-less searches?" (federal firearms license applicants enjoy the last one.)

Neither my bank nor the Social Security Administration has protected my private information. I don't expect my Bible software to do what they could not.

But I never allowed any of my secrets to hurt anyone through disclosure.Angel

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 15 of 15 (285 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 | RSS