Timeline Filter: more than one name at a time...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 22 2018 12:33 AM

Howdy from Texas,

I'm reading one of Lynn Austin's books, "Keepers of the Covenant," in Logos, and notice that she draws together Queen Esther and the prophet Ezra in her narrative.

I blush to say that, at 70 years of age, I did not know the two were coterminous.

So I went to the Timeline, and filtered on "Ezra."  What I wanted to do was see all of the references to *both* Ezra *and* Esther...in the Timeline.

Something tells me that's not going to be possible because some people will want, say, "Esau" and "Ezra," and those will be too far apart in the listing to be easily found.

Is there, or will there be, a way to filter the Timeline with more than one "subject?"  Thank you so much.

Paul L. White

Satisfied Logos Customer since 1.6

Posts 26117
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:01 AM

I don't find any events that include both but here is a timeline that contains events including either Ezra or Esther

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3648
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:07 AM

To clarify, MJ's screenshot: use commas as separators to list different entities you want to see in the timeline. To answer your question about being further apart, you can use the zoom capability to make sure you see all you want regardless of how distanced hits are in time. 

Posts 2055
LogosEmployee

Also you can use the "Show all matching events" in the "Fit" menu to change the zoom level so all filtered events are visible at once.

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 5:50 AM

Oh, Wow!  Hate to sound like a teenager, but just Wow!

I tried semicolon, and the use of AND as an operator.  But comma it was!  :-)

And thank you for teaching me about the various zoom, "all events," etc.

It appears that M.J. has a wide screen monitor.  The graphic includes a summary that mine doesn't have, in which it shows the beginning and end of Ezra's ministry in a green box.

My screen is more square, and my video memory is 1/2 gig.  Not to pester, and in all gratitude for all or your time, but I wonder if you can tell me what system requirements are necessary to see the graphic exactly as M.J. presents it?  Plus, I use Windows 7 SP1.  But my regular memory is maxed out at 16 GB, and my hard drive is a terabyte.

Blessings to all, and thank you so very much!  Comma separator, Zoom, and "show all matching events."  My jaw literally dropped!

Posts 2055
LogosEmployee

Paul L. White:

I tried semicolon, and the use of AND as an operator.  But comma it was!  :-)

AND would mean that you wanted both terms to show up in the same event (which would likely have given no results for something like Ezra AND Esther. However, something like Ezra AND exiles would work. You would want to use OR, although the comma operator is exactly the same in this context.

Paul L. White:

It appears that M.J. has a wide screen monitor.  The graphic includes a summary that mine doesn't have, in which it shows the beginning and end of Ezra's ministry in a green box.

My screen is more square, and my video memory is 1/2 gig.  Not to pester, and in all gratitude for all or your time, but I wonder if you can tell me what system requirements are necessary to see the graphic exactly as M.J. presents it?  Plus, I use Windows 7 SP1.  But my regular memory is maxed out at 16 GB, and my hard drive is a terabyte.

M.J. is using the "Graffiti" style. You can change the style in the panel toolbar just to the right of the "+" button. The summary text should always be visible, although the location will either be inside the box or outside the box depending on your zoom level. If you're seeing something different, posting a screenshot might help us explain what's happening.

Note also that you can hold down shift while using the mousewheel to zoom the view in and out.

Posts 21706
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 6:04 AM

Paul L. White:
The graphic includes a summary that mine doesn't have, in which it shows the beginning and end of Ezra's ministry in a green box.

Try changing the style.

In her screenshot MJ shows she us using "Graffiti". It is this style that gives the green box here. Its not a resource issue

Edit: Sorry I hadn't seen Andrew's subsequent reply before posting this.

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 6:19 AM

Okay, thank you both so much.  Attached is the graphic.

I had the wrong graphic in a previous reply, and then deleted the reply.

The mouse wheel!  I'd never had occasion to use it before.  As Gomer Pyle would say: "GawwwLLLeeeee!"  heh

Posts 21706
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:06 AM

Paul L. White:
Okay, thank you both so much.  Attached is the graphic.

You have a very long timespace selected

Try restricting the dates to something like 600-200BC and see if that gives you what you want

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:15 AM

Hi Mr. Criddle,

Thank you for the suggestion.  What happens is that there are some events that occur later in history regarding a document that has to do with Esther.  Thus, when you select "show all events," or simply just Esther and Ezra, those later events get included.

I did exactly as you recommended, and the software changed the dates to what you see in the attachment.  I'll have to conclude that it's the memory limitations on my graphics card that is causing the little green box not to appear.  But I sure appreciate your thoughts.

Blessings to all.

Posts 21706
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:46 AM

Paul L. White:
I did exactly as you recommended, and the software changed the dates to what you see in the attachment.  I'll have to conclude that it's the memory limitations on my graphics card that is causing the little green box not to appear.

I think the issue is more likely that you don't have either of "Biblical Studies" or "Biblical Events" selected under "Subject"

Posts 147
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 9:16 AM

Oh, wowwww!  Would you lookee there!

Holy Moley!

Thank you so much, Mr Criddle!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS