Recommendations For Hardware OS Running Logos 7

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 15
Kevin Ball | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 22 2018 12:01 PM

It is time to retire my old Windows laptop and upgrade to something newer to run Logos. I was just wondering what the community thinks is the best platform (Windows / iOS) and laptop / Macbook for running Logos? I want to use either a laptop or Mac Book for the portability as I am involved in a couple of bible studies and I am leaning toward a  Macbook Pro. I have been using an iPad for portability but as I found out, all the features of Logos are not available on an iPad.

So - what is the most stable platform (Windows, iOS) and what is the most user friendly / easy to get around in? I really hope the answer to both questions is the same platform. 

Recommendations for memory and hard drive sizes are appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 12:19 PM

Windows is probably better than Mac, but from what I have heard it is fairly comparable. I would base your choice on your preferred system. I use only Mac and would give up Logos before I gave up my Mac! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 17957
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 3:38 PM

Kevin Ball:
I was just wondering what the community thinks is the best platform (Windows / iOS) and laptop / Macbook for running Logos?

Logos and Verbum feature parity is 99% between platforms so easy to switch as desired. Platform choice depends on other required software. Apple has iCloud sync between iOS and macOS that is usable for calendar, contacts, files, ...

Faithlife currently supports:

• OS X 10.10 Yosemite (being dropped in 7.14 release)
  • OS X 10.11 El Capitan
  • macOS 10.12 Sierra
  • macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Microsoft version jump from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (ten) in 2015 may have helped motivate Apple name change from OS X (ten) to macOS in 2016. Apple users tend to do free upgrades to newer iOS and macOS. Hence => Announcement: Dropping support for Mac OSX 10.10 for Logos 7.14

Kevin Ball:
I want to use either a laptop or Mac Book for the portability as I am involved in a couple of bible studies and I am leaning toward a  Macbook Pro.

For portable Mac models, would look for fast SSD and processor.

Mac Benchmarks => https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks shows range of models:

• 4638 is the fastest MacBook Pro (mid 2017 Intel Core i7-7567U @ 3.5 GHz)
  • 3927 is the fastest MacBook (mid 2017 Intel Core i7-7Y75 @ 1.4 GHz)
  • 3581 is the fastest MacBook Air (early 2015 Intel Core i7-5650U @ 2.2 GHz)
  • 2488 is the slowest MacBook Pro (Intel Core i7-2635QM @ 2.0GHz) that can run macOS 10.13
  • 1454 is the slowest MacBook (late 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.3 GHz) that can run macOS 10.13
  • 988 is the slowest MacBook Air (late 2010 Intel Core 2 Duo U9400 @ 1.4 GHz) that can run macOS 10.13 

Blog => https://everymac.com/mac-answers/macos-high-sierra-faq/macos-high-sierra-1013-compatible-macs-system-requirements.html discusses Mac models that can run macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Learned 2017 MacBook models are significantly faster than prior year models: slowest one with Intel Core m3-7Y32 @ 1.2 GHz has 3522 benchmark while fastest 2016 MacBook with Intel Core m5-6Y54 @ 1.2 GHz has 3058 benchmark, which is 13 % slower (humanly noticeable). Fastest MacBook Pro (MBP) is almost 5 times faster than slowest MacBook Air (MBA) so a task that takes a minute of processing on fastest MBP would take nearly 5 minutes on slowest MBA.

Apple offers refurbished Macs => https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Newer portable Mac models tend to have memory that cannot be upgraded. Personally dreaming of 16 GB model with 256 GB or larger SSD (since my Logos4 folder is currently 139.65 GB plus need ~21 GB for indexing, which includes duplication of my 19.3 GB Library index with temporary index files). If want to run Logos and Verbum at the same time with my large library, then need 512 GB SSD or larger.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 5:26 PM

Kevin Ball:
So - what is the most stable platform (Windows, iOS) and what is the most user friendly / easy to get around in?

From a dedicated Windows user, you have to go Windows and Android. Too many hassles with MacOS these days - Windows 10 is more stable. iPad may be OK, but the iPhone (from my Grandson's experience) is more hassle than my Android phone.

iOS/Android devices won't run the 'desktop' app with all its features, but the mobile apps are maturing.

I use a laptop with 8 GB memory, 1 GB hardrive and a 5th generation (3 yrs old) i7 with two cores/four threads. Logos works fine, but I recommend a 512GB SSD for best results (as well as a new i7/i5 processor).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 6:24 PM

Dave Hooton:
Too many hassles with MacOS these days - Windows 10 is more stable.

BLASPHEMY! Smile

I am not quite sure what Dave is talking about (macOS or Logos on Mac). There are no major issues on macOS, but there are some mac specific Logos issues... just like there are some Windows specific ones! 

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:54 PM

alabama24:
I am not quite sure what Dave is talking about

MacOS of course, same as iOS....since Steve Jobs passed away.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17957
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 8:40 PM

Dave Hooton:
From a dedicated Windows user, you have to go Windows and Android. Too many hassles with MacOS these days - Windows 10 is more stable.

An ongoing result of Apple suing Microsoft about look and feel => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corp. is Microsoft modifying user interface more often than Mac. Apple tends to have easier way to do something while Microsoft has alternative(s). Start button on Windows cloned Apple menu. Apple's Dock (on bottom of screen) feels like a clone of Windows task bar. For system narrator voices, macOS includes many free high quality choices while Windows has many voices available for purchase from a variety of vendors.

For hassles, on the one hand is .NET 4.7.1 issues that needed updated fix from Microsoft while a number of Mac users recently needed solution 2 => https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/crash

Windows and Mac operating systems are complex, usable, and can be difficult to troubleshoot. Windows hardware tends to have lower up front cost while Mac hardware tends to have lower overall cost, which is being reflected by enterprise migration to Apple at Work => https://www.computerworld.com/article/3247793/apple-mac/apple-is-getting-very-very-serious-about-enterprise-it.html notes 75 % of enterprise users would choose Mac if they had a choice. Computer World has many Windows 10 articles => https://www.computerworld.com/category/microsoft-windows/ and Apple Mac articles => https://www.computerworld.com/category/apple-mac/

Apologies since now primarily using 2011 MacBook Air. Prior to moving last year had a larger desk with Windows and Mac side by side (with Logos and Verbum installed on both so used either one as desired). After move, have some Windows computers with SSD's that remain powered off (so not know how many sets of security patches will be needed to bring them up to date). Apple tends to have fewer security updates than Windows (so less time needed to download and update operating system).

Thankful can use macOS 10.12 Sierra on a 2011 MacBook Air. At that time, PC hardware shipped with Windows 7. Apple has provided a free OS X or macOS upgrade every year => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS

By default, Windows 10 shares a lot of your personal information with Microsoft. Windows 10 has privacy options => https://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

FYI: personally not like 2015 Android "hack" of receiving a text message that gives ownership of phone to remote text sender => https://thehackernews.com/2015/07/android-phone-hacking.html

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17957
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 8:49 PM

Dave Hooton:
MacOS of course, same as iOS....since Steve Jobs passed away.

Concur Apple has lost some "Insanely Great" direction that just works. Currently macOS and iOS run on different devices with iCloud sharing stuff.

Counterpoint is trying to remember variety of Windows blue screens and reboots.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15
Kevin Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 23 2018 7:08 AM

Thanks for all your comments and insight. This gives me lots to ponder (and pray about).

Posts 284
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 23 2018 8:29 AM

Kevin Ball:

It is time to retire my old Windows laptop and upgrade to something newer to run Logos. I was just wondering what the community thinks is the best platform (Windows / iOS) and laptop / Macbook for running Logos? I want to use either a laptop or Mac Book for the portability as I am involved in a couple of bible studies and I am leaning toward a  Macbook Pro. I have been using an iPad for portability but as I found out, all the features of Logos are not available on an iPad.

So - what is the most stable platform (Windows, iOS) and what is the most user friendly / easy to get around in? I really hope the answer to both questions is the same platform. 

Recommendations for memory and hard drive sizes are appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Go with MAC OS. MAC is just a more complete OS with less hindrances in the OS; DOS, virus software.  

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 28 2018 5:16 PM

If you need to use Microsoft Word with Logos, then go Windows.  Microsoft Word on a Mac runs fine but is not up to the job as much as the Windows version is.  If you go Apple, then get something like Mellel or maybe Nisus. 

I have Logos on 3 Macs and one Windows 10 machine.  Macs have no problems with Logos at all these days and macOS runs like a tank.  I'll take any UNIX/Linux/BSD derivative over a Windows box any day.  I worked in IT for 8 years and Windows used to make me cringe.  I have Windows for BibleWorks and some other software that requires Windows, but otherwise, I'd have just Macs and Linux boxes here. 

Adding a platform is not cheap and there is a learning curve attached to it.  You'll be adding other software that will cost.  I'm SO GLAD I switched to Macs.  They are like a dream come true compared to Windows, but Windows 10 is the most stable Windows that I have seen since maybe Windows 2000.  I started on a Commodore VIC-20.  :-)

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 28 2018 5:23 PM

Michael:
If you need to use Microsoft Word with Logos, then go Windows.  Microsoft Word on a Mac runs fine but is not up to the job as much as the Windows version is.

I don't agree. Word runs fine on Mac. Have you used it recently? NOTE: I am not recommending Word over other Mac alternatives, just saying that if you must have Word, don't let it stop you from getting a Mac. 

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 28 2018 5:40 PM

JT (alabama24):

Michael:
If you need to use Microsoft Word with Logos, then go Windows.  Microsoft Word on a Mac runs fine but is not up to the job as much as the Windows version is.

I don't agree. Word runs fine on Mac. Have you used it recently? NOTE: I am not recommending Word over other Mac alternatives, just saying that if you must have Word, don't let it stop you from getting a Mac. 

Hey, we can still be friends.  I used it today, and I used it yesterday.  I use it quite a lot, in fact.  It has improved drastically; I'll give you that.  I did not post my opinion for someone to come over and take a knife to it.  It's ~my~ opinion.  You voiced ~your~ opinion already.  Quoting me and stomping on my opinion and pressing me about when I used Word for Mac last does not strike me as kind or friendly  Maybe it runs fine for the type of work that you do with it.  Have a nice day.

Posts 17957
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 28 2018 9:27 PM

Michael:
If you need to use Microsoft Word with Logos, then go Windows.  Microsoft Word on a Mac runs fine but is not up to the job as much as the Windows version is.  If you go Apple, then get something like Mellel or maybe Nisus. 

Please elaborate about Word version(s) and Logos recommendation.

Thankful for complex text layout in LibreOffice (while my older Word for Mac leaves a bit to be desired for handling Hebrew).

Noticed in Nov 2016, Microsoft added bi-directional language support to Office 2016 => https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-write-a-document-right-to-left-e-g-in-Hebrew-on-a-Mac (article mentions Pages, Mellel, and Nisus with note about Nisus for academic papers)

Michael:
 I started on a Commodore VIC-20.  :-)

Dating self is punched paper tape, cassette tape, and 8 inch floppy disk for saving programs (over several years) before getting a Commodore VIC-20 while also using a Fat Mac => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_512K (later upgraded to a Mac Plus with an external Display).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 28 2018 9:59 PM

Michael:

Hey, we can still be friends.  I used it today, and I used it yesterday.  I use it quite a lot, in fact.  It has improved drastically; I'll give you that.  I did not post my opinion for someone to come over and take a knife to it.  It's ~my~ opinion.  You voiced ~your~ opinion already.  Quoting me and stomping on my opinion and pressing me about when I used Word for Mac last does not strike me as kind or friendly  Maybe it runs fine for the type of work that you do with it.  Have a nice day.

Woah. I have no idea what got your dander up. Yes, we can still be friends. Smile Disagreeing with someone isn’t “stomping” on them or taking a “knife” to their opinion.  As I stated, my purpose was simply to suggest that if someone “needs” to use Word, getting a Mac shouldn’t be a deal breaker. If you disagree, that is fine! 

Out of curiosity: what problems do you find with it? In what ways is the Mac version crippled or limited over the windows version? Ten years ago, I frequently had troubles when I submitted papers using Word for Mac. As an instructor now, I have no problems reading or writing .docx files with both peers and students. 

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 28 2018 10:05 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Michael:

Please elaborate about Word version(s) and Logos recommendation.

No.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17957
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 29 2018 9:22 AM

JT (alabama24):
Out of curiosity: what problems do you find with it? In what ways is the Mac version crippled or limited over the windows version? Ten years ago, I frequently had troubles when I submitted papers using Word for Mac. As an instructor now, I have no problems reading or writing .docx files with both peers and students. 

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.

Thankful for Office cross platform improvement (while remembering older versions being problematic so switched to LibreOffice). This discussion has provided me reason to consider Office 2016 on Mac.

Microsoft has a support article comparing Office 365 and Office 2016 => https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-the-difference-between-Office-365-and-Office-2016-ed447ebf-6060-46f9-9e90-a239bd27eb96

Wikipedia has Office 2016 article => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2016 that mentions 64 bit transition (long overdue) plus touch bar support.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS