Searches and the apocrypha

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 129
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:31 AM

Since, the apocrypha is not Scripture, how can I eliminate them from my searches of Scriptures? I have several Bible programs and Logos is the only one that includes them in their searches. They were added to the KJV as history but not Scriptures, etc.

GeorgeT

Posts 21928
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:03 AM

Which Bible(s) are you searching?

Where are you seeing these books included in searches?

Can you post a screenshot showing what you are seeing (use the paperclip icon)?

Posts 129
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:23 AM

KJV 1900 and the AV

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:26 AM

George T.:

Since, the apocrypha is not Scripture ... they were added to the KJV as history but not Scriptures, etc.

GeorgeT

Better invest in one of several great Logos resources on the formation of the canon. Think greek as a hint.

Posts 17964
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:53 AM

George T.:
Since, the apocrypha is not Scripture, how can I eliminate them from my searches of Scriptures?

Suggest changing All Passages search filter to Old and New Testament

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 129
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 11:10 AM

Thanks, that Works

God Bless,
GeorgeT

Posts 26531
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 11:51 PM

George T.:
Since, the apocrypha is not Scripture, how can I eliminate them from my searches of Scriptures?

The canon used by the search depends upon the canon of your highest priority Bible, IIRC. I believe that if the AV were your first choice instead of KJV1900, the apocrypha would not appear in your search results.

George T.:
They were added to the KJV as history but not Scriptures, etc.

I would suggest that you research this statement in light of the Book of Common Prayer of 1662 where you will find parts of the apocrypha used as scriptural lessons e.g. Wisdom 1 on the feast of the Holy Innocents. Why? Because one of the joys of Logos is that it allows us to do searches that improve our precision.:-) And yes, I'm one of those people who is overly fascinated with the variety of canons and their use.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26531
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 12:16 AM

For anyone curious, doing a quick concordance on The Book of Common Prayer from the Original Manuscript: Attached to the Act of Uniformity of 1662. London; Edinburgh; Glasgow; Melbourne; Sydney; New York: Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1892. and not screening the results to see whether the Bible reference is a Scripture lesson or something else, the use of the apocrypha is:

• 74 occurrences of Sirach
  • 29 occurrences of Wisdom of Solomon
  • 16 occurrences of Judith
  • 15 occurrences of Tobit
  • 5 occurrences of Baruch
  • 1 occurrence of Letter of Jeremiah

Isn't Logos cool?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 17964
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 5:31 AM

MJ. Smith:

George T.:

The canon used by the search depends upon the canon of your highest priority Bible, IIRC. I believe that if the AV were your first choice instead of KJV1900, the apocrypha would not appear in your search results.

Scope of All Passages depends on Bible(s) being searched:

Highest Prioritized Bible is LEB that does not have apocrypha (deuterocanonical). Searching Top Bibles includes NEB (with not symbol for not found in LEB).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS