Slowness - a video

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 133
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 30 2018 4:02 PM

Hi there,

frustrated by Logos 7 slowness recently, I made a video to show what it is we mean when we say that:

https://youtu.be/pY0sEo0QIE8

Posts 8748
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 30 2018 10:04 PM

This video appears to be blocked in the USA.

Posts 133
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 1:57 AM

Try now. Poorly chosen sound track. 

Vid goes for 1 min 19 seconds. 

The most significant part, for my workflow, is 0:47-1:06... look how long that right click menu takes to populate! 

Posts 8748
LogosEmployee

Andrew116:

The most significant part, for my workflow, is 0:47-1:06... look how long that right click menu takes to populate! 

It was designed to populate in stages, so that you don't have to wait for all the data to show up. It looks like the lemma item (which is what you are using) appears at 3s, and you should be able to to interact with it immediately.

Posts 133
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 1:15 PM

So you’re happy with a three second delay between right clicking on a word and being able to search for it?

delay in your competitor is about 0 seeds 

Posts 41
Steven Leavitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 3:02 PM

Honestly, your video says that it has lots of ram, but I think you would benefit from upping it to 16 GB. I have a Mac, and even though I think that speed can be improved overall, the Logos program isn't running as slow as yours. According to my activity monitor, it shows that Im using about 10 GB in the memory used portion. I don't fully understand RAM in all that jazz, but I know that sometimes that can be an issue. Today's operating system alone seem to need a minimum of 8 GB just to run smoothly without programs being open.

Just my 2 cents. I do hope you get this figured out. 

Posts 8748
LogosEmployee

Andrew116:

So you’re happy with a three second delay between right clicking on a word and being able to search for it?

All I said was that you shouldn't need to wait for the full 20 seconds, as implied in your video. I wasn't sure if you knew that or not, or were simply pointing out the time it takes for full population of the menu.

Posts 3840
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 7:43 PM

Steven Leavitt:
According to my activity monitor, it shows that Im using about 10 GB in the memory used portion. I don't fully understand RAM in all that jazz, but I know that sometimes that can be an issue. Today's operating system alone seem to need a minimum of 8 GB just to run smoothly without programs being open.

I'm seeing similar stats (10 Gb memory used, with Logos using 3 Gb) on my 2015 MacBook Pro.

While I'm sure that FL could continue to tweak performance, I'd agree with Steven that memory is a factor. Logos will be more responsive with 16 Gb. 

FYI, my startup time is between 10-15 seconds, and the context menu populates very quickly. In fact, until I watched your video, I never realized that the right side populated in stages, as it had not been noticeable before.

Hope you can find a cost-effective solution to eliminate the slowness you're seeing.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS