Leaving Logos in a Will

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 31 2018 6:48 PM

I was nearly certain this would be my maiden post, only to realize I had made a brief response to another long ago.

Even though I have been invisible on this forum, I have been a Logos user since 2003.  I have taught High School and Adult Sunday School Classes and Bible Study for most of my adult life.  I'm 76.  I use Logos for personal study and class preparation.  I have been a devoted lurker on the forums since day one, and am hugely indebted to so very many of you.  Thank you!  I miss Rosie desperately!  

What is forcing me out of the closet now is the fact that my and my wife's existing wills are embarrassingly out of date.  We are reworking. 

I vaguely remember reading on the forum years ago that one's licence could be left to another.  I did a brief search; found nothing.  I called Logos and got no solid direction as to procedures or reguirements -- really only that the licence is a single user agreement and can not be shared among members of a familly, or institution, or congregation.  I don't believe this is a big issue at Logos.

Accordingly, I would very much appreciate:

• any specific guidelines that any one of you might have, or could possibly point to.
  • any personal experiences making such arrangements.
  • can a copy of Logos once bequeathed, be left further to a 3rd party?
  • I am not through as a user yet, selecting a definite inheriter at this point is difficult.  Writing a will now, designating a beneficiary now, only to have the will executed years from now to an individual whose life has undergone signifcant change and is no longer a valid candidate concerrns me.
  • any general comments, suggestions.

Thank you for your consideration.  It feels good to finally wander among so many good, concerned, and trusted old acquaintances.

Phil

Posts 774
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 7:00 PM

I have it in my will to give my library to my church and let them give it to whoever they think would benefit the most from it -- a missionary, church planter, elder, seminarian, etc.

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 10:01 PM

I have had similar thoughts - except I would leave it to my seminary or to a Christian college to be given to a future seminarian.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 5:18 AM

Phil Cooper:
I vaguely remember reading on the forum years ago that one's licence could be left to another.  I did a brief search; found nothing.

Here are several discussions about this on the forums:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/80892/566231.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/66151/461751.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/153126.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/153239.aspx

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 6:58 AM

Phil Cooper:
I am not through as a user yet, selecting a definite inheriter at this point is difficult.  Writing a will now, designating a beneficiary now, only to have the will executed years from now to an individual whose life has undergone signifcant change and is no longer a valid candidate concerrns me.

In the UK, this would be best handled informally, outside of a will. It would work like this:

1. In your will you would note that you wish Logos (or your personal library, etc.) to be distributed in accordance with any letter found with your will. Your executors (who are hopefully trusted relatives or friends) do not have a legal obligation to follow your wishes, but if you've chosen your executors well, they will do what you have asked.
  2. You would then write what is normally called a letter of wishes that would be filed with your will. In that letter of wishes, you would explain to your friend or relative that you wish Logos to be given to someone who would particularly benefit from it. You could explain, in your own non-legal words, what sort of person you want them to find, or suggest possible names. It would then be up to them to execute your wishes to the best of their ability.

Another benefit of a letter of wishes is that it can be updated in the future without a lawyer.

Posts 4
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 16 2018 12:28 PM

Gentlemen,

Thank each of you for your prompt and so very appropriate replies.  You successfully steered me away from identifying a specific beneficiary to designating a seminary to do so for me at the at the appropriate time.

It required a bit of a merry chase.  I was finally able to arrange lunch with my minister, who recommended his seminary, which has a relationship with Logos, and thereby licenses a copy to each tuition paying student.  Bequeathing is not practical. My minister then furnished a list of three likely seminaries, the second of which I contacted was delighted, arrangements have been made.

Thank you again for proving again the concern and valuable support from the Logos community.

Phil

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS