Need to improve Logos Maps

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
Charles Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 22 2009 6:55 AM

Recently in one of my seminary classes a professor used the BibleWorks Mapping feature, projecting it on the large screen for the class. I was impressed with it's flexibility, and it's rich set of interactive features. The maps were large, detailed, scalable, readable, and there was an enormous set of tools for creating, printing, labeling, coloring maps. I would love for Logos to develop something similar.  While I love Logos and have used it for many years, I believe it handles charts, maps and graphics of all kinds very poorly. PLEASE work in this, both the mapping feature and some serious improvements in handling graphics of all kinds.

Thanks and God bless

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:03 AM

Agree

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 6
Adam Borries | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:54 AM

I'm not familiar with BibleWorks' Maps.  Do you know of anywhere I can see a video demo?

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 10:10 AM

BibleWorks Maps are nice, especially w/ their close integration with the biblical texts, but there are some challenges for satisfactory printing and editing. Try BibleMapper if you want to edit your own maps, but it is a standalone program not integrated with biblical texts. There is full info HERE.

Posts 19
Charles Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 10:24 AM

I agree Bible Mapper is good, but one of the great strengths of Logos is the way the resources are integrated. However, this map thing is a systemic weakness in Logos that includes it handling of all types of graphics, not just maps. As far as I can tell maps and charts are not scalable and are rendered in such poor resolution that they are very grainy when copied for use in presentations or classes, etc (properly credited of course :-)) and they are often very difficult to read on the screen, especially with old eyes like mine.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 10:33 AM

WOW, you mean, Logos isn't purrr-fect?????  SHOCK!  :)  I don't say that sarcastically to you at all.  I reflect that I do know that logos has weaknesses, and yet, there is SO MUCh they do right, and continue to improve, I think it is only a matter of time.  One thing I like is that they have decent forums for feedback, such as these forums, the "report typo" feature (although I am not sure when or how those changes are made), etc.  Other software I own you just have to sort of "eat" your frustration with their mistakes and anomolies.  At least with Logos we have a few outlets.  I am SO PLEASED with Logos, I almost find it shocking when they are subpar at something.  But the good far outweighs the bad.  Kind of like owning a Jaguar: the pure pleasure of it makes you overlook it's quirks and annoyances.

Not that I have ever driven, much less owned, a Jag . . . I drive a 94 Accord EX (with a sunroof!) that is in need of repairs and is worth $563 trade-in . . . lol.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 11:41 AM

Charles Williams:
Recently in one of my seminary classes a professor used the BibleWorks Mapping feature, projecting it on the large screen for the class. I was impressed with it's flexibility, and it's rich set of interactive features. The maps were large, detailed, scalable, readable, and there was an enormous set of tools for creating, printing, labeling, coloring maps. I would love for Logos to develop something similar.  While I love Logos and have used it for many years, I believe it handles charts, maps and graphics of all kinds very poorly. PLEASE work in this, both the mapping feature and some serious improvements in handling graphics of all kinds.

This is probably one of the longest requested features. Ever since I started using Logos in 2000, there have been many, many requests.

The good news is that as far as resources goes, Libronix rocks.  However, I would love to see some more maps incorporated and would even be willing to pay extra for the feature.  Among other things, I would love to see something similar to "Then and Now" maps that allow you to see where these locations are presently located in modern times in relation to political boundaries and cities.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 1:30 PM

Yes, I agree maps need improvement. I have seen Bible Works map module connected to Google Earth, you could use or create layers of interest etc. Really good. I love maps and I would like to have those not only for the biblical history, but for the Church history (especially Europe) something like historical Atlas. I would buy it as a separate module if needed. Also, in some resources, like ISBE there are some good maps, but to get to them is not easy. I would like to see some kind of graphic finder (like Google pictures) in Logos.

Bohuslav

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:24 PM

Logos has been working on an upgrade for some time. In a presentation I did for BibleTech08 (ie 1.5 years ago), Vince Setterholm shared a map from the new collection. (You can see it HERE on the top of page 6. The maps on the left are the current ones with their confusing orientation, garish colors, and overdone highlighting. The one on the left is the attractive new one.)

I think the delay is that Logos is trying to determine if they simply want to offer new maps or if they want to integrate a mapping module (ie, an interactive, editable map).

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 8:03 PM

Mark Hoffman:

Logos has been working on an upgrade for some time. In a presentation I did for BibleTech08 (ie 1.5 years ago), Vince Setterholm shared a map from the new collection. (You can see it HERE on the top of page 6. The maps on the left are the current ones with their confusing orientation, garish colors, and overdone highlighting. The one on the left is the attractive new one.)

I think the delay is that Logos is trying to determine if they simply want to offer new maps or if they want to integrate a mapping module (ie, an interactive, editable map).

It looks very good.  This is more like what I would want them to look like.  There are also areas which could use some mapping such as the Seven Churches of Asia.  I'm sure I could think of many other things as well.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 7:14 AM

Charles Williams:
PLEASE work in this, both the mapping feature and some serious improvements in handling graphics of all kinds.

Talk about irony:

What's in My Library: Altas (Bible)

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 25
Steve Cheek | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2009 6:40 PM

It would be awesome to be able to overlay modern day countries on Biblical maps.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2009 9:58 AM

Consensus appears to be we want better maps. But I am wondering about the currently available Logos maps. Looking under Products-All Products-Reference-Atlas I see 11 relevant titles. I wondered if there is any additional benefit to having all the products listed? These three I do not have in my resources:

Logos Bible Atlas '99 Free KJV
Logos Basic Map Set
The Logos Bible Map Set

I am assuming the Basic Map Set is contained within the Deluxe Map Set (same author.) I am wondering if the Bible Map Set is also redundant.  The Bible Atlas '99 may actually have different content but does not integrate with Logos. Up till now I have supplemented Logos maps with third party stuff.  Does anybody know or have any recommendations about the usefulness of adding the last three resources listed above?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2009 10:16 AM

Matthew C Jones:

I am assuming the Basic Map Set is contained within the Deluxe Map Set (same author.) I am wondering if the Bible Map Set is also redundant.  The Bible Atlas '99 may actually have different content but does not integrate with Logos. Up till now I have supplemented Logos maps with third party stuff.  Does anybody know or have any recommendations about the usefulness of adding the last three resources listed above?

I have both the basic map set and the deluxe set.  To the best of my recollection the deluxe set does not include the basic.   I seldom use them, however, since they are truly sad so I may misremember.  I generally attempt to locate an applicable map in some other resource or go to the web (They're that bad).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2009 10:38 AM

George Somsel:
I have both the basic map set and the deluxe set.  To the best of my recollection the deluxe set does not include the basic.   I seldom use them, however, since they are truly sad so I may misremember.  I generally attempt to locate an applicable map in some other resource or go to the web (They're that bad).

It's true, they are that bad.  I've had both map sets for years and almost never have been able to use them.  Wouldn't it be awesome if when you are reading about a journey of Paul or Jesus and youy could right clikc and have a map pop up of the area?  And then you could cut and paste that map into your sermon notes or into a PowerPoint slide?  I know I'm just dreaming.  The current maps not only  scale poorly and are ugly, but they are almost completely unsearchable.  I have nebver seen a map come up when using the passage guide, and I sure wish they could make the maps useable.  Want me to go really outside the box?  How about if Images of The Holy Land could also link when appropriate passages are searched or the passage guide is used.

I know I'm dreaming, but some times, wondering "what if" can be good.

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2009 12:26 PM

I agree that a lot of work needs to be done to improve the maps in Logos, as well as in other areas of graphics such as charts and pictures.

The following improvements need to be done to the maps:

1)  Degrees of longitude and latitude need to be shown.

2)  Relief maps must have a legend to show height above or below sea level.

3)  Distances between cities and towns must be shown.

4)  All the features in the old Logos Bible Atlas, as well as the abandomed Logos atlas program, must be included as well as all the other features

already mentioned in this forum.

5)  This must be part of the main Libronix program integrated with the other resources.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS