Finding Translations of the Writings of the Church Fathers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 22
Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 1 2018 12:05 PM

Hello,

I am looking for instances of interchangeable usage of the words τέλος and συντέλεια in ancient Greek writings. When I do word searches in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae, a lot of texts from the church fathers are listed in the results, and I need to search for English translations of those texts.

Johannes Quasten’s 4-volume series Patrology gives a list of editions and translations of the writings of the church fathers. Since the series was published in the 1950’s, there are many new translations not listed in it. Is there a more modern book like Quasten’s Patrology which lists all currently available translations? It would make it easier for me to search for translations on the Internet.

Posts 31932
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 19 2018 2:36 AM

Bumping this in hopes someone with the appropriate expertise sees it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2877
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 19 2018 8:16 AM

MJ. Smith:

Bumping this in hopes someone with the appropriate expertise sees it.

I bump this, too.  Much needed.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3
Brock Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2020 4:28 AM

«τέλος» means: end, final, purpose (eg. Αριστοτέλης [Aristotle] from Άριστος [the best, perfect] + Τέλος [purpose])

«συντέλεια» means the end of something, still used with that meaning today

For the Church Fathers, you can try to search from here : http://patristica.net/graeca/ 

Posts 22
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2020 6:11 AM

I am aware of the meanings of the words τέλος and συντέλεια. The given link lists volumes from Patrologia Greaca, which contains original Greek texts of many Greek writings along with Latin translations. I am looking for English translations.

Posts 3
Brock Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2020 6:42 AM

Alexander:

I am looking for instances of interchangeable usage of the words τέλος and συντέλεια in ancient Greek writings. When I do word searches in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae, a lot of texts from the church fathers are listed in the results, and I need to search for English translations of those texts.

Alexander:

I am aware of the meanings of the words τέλος and συντέλεια. The given link lists volumes from Patrologia Greaca, which contains original Greek texts of many Greek writings along with Latin translations. I am looking for English translations.

«Καθημένου δὲ αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ τοῦ ῎Ορους τῶν ᾽Ελαιῶν προσῆλθον αὐτῷ οἱ μαθηταὶ κατ᾽ ἰδίαν λέγοντες, Εἰπὲ ἡμῖν πότε ταῦτα ἔσται, καὶ τί τὸ σημεῖον τῆς σῆς παρουσίας καὶ συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος» ΟΜΙΛΙΑ ΟΕ´ MPG 58,686

«“‘And as He sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him privately, saying, Tell us when shall these things be? and
what shall be the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world?"»

«περι της συντέλειας τών Ιεροσολύμων, άλλα Πέτρον και Ίωάννην άτε πλείονα παρρησίαν Εχοντας»  ΟΜΙΛΙΑ ΟΕ´ MPG 58,687

«concerning the end of Jerusalem, but Peter and John,‘ as having greater freedom of speech»

https://archive.org/details/aselectlibrary10unknuoft/page/450/mode/2up

«μέν ό Αντίχριστος μεθ'ον ή συντέλεια, και αι κολάσεις αι έπ τη συντέλεια κα τιμωρίαι αφόρητοι οί δέ τή μέθη τής»  ΟΜΙΛΙΑ ΟΖ´ MPG 58,704

«Antichrist indeed shall appear, after whom is the end, and the punishments at the end, and vengeance intolerable;»

https://archive.org/details/aselectlibrary10unknuoft/page/464/mode/2up

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2020 6:56 AM

Alexander:

For a one-to-one, you'd need what Logos presents as interlinears (matching up alignments). The only one I know of is Apostolic Fathers, which is a very small subset of Church Fathers (and basically 3 'fathers' for your purposes). A Basic search using greek quickly pulls the english in Brannon's translation. Absent someone else, 2 panels, the hard way.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS