The Year Jesus Died

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 748
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 11 2018 2:17 AM

I am reading in the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary on the gospel of John.  The date they give for Christ's crucifixion is A.D. 33.  This differs from my previous understanding. Could someone suggest resources to study the dates in the life of Christ or search criteria for Logos that will shed some light on why some resources differ on the dates?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 11 2018 4:03 AM

The Logos Timeline tool indicates the Early Date (AD 30 and the Late Date AD 33) If you click on each of those events, a list of the resources associated with that entry will be shown.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 11 2018 5:47 AM

As I’m sure you know, Jesus’ death is tied to the Passover. The problem is dating the Passover accounts given in the Synoptic Gospels and the Gospel of John, so you will want to look for resources in your library which address the issue of Passover Chronology. Keener does in The Historical Jesus of the Gospels and his thorough commentary on the Gospel of John. However, nearly all the commentaries you have on the Synoptic Gospels and John should at least touch on the subject, as will your Bible Encyclopedias, dictionaries and Introductions. They will generally also have a nice bibliography – of Biblical and other ancient sources – to continue your journey. Have fun in your studies!

Edit: I forgot to mention Journal articles. These are a great place to look, as well. One which is cited quite frequently in my resources is Are Both the Synoptics and John Correct about the Date of Jesus' Death? from the Journal of Biblical Literature. Another is The Date of the Crucifixion from the Journal of the American Scientific Affiliation. Not in Logos but sometimes going outside is necessary.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 11 2018 8:57 AM

Adding, and listing the key time questions:

- Born? Matthew's vs Luke's, a difference of approx 10 years or so.

- Luke's 30 years at ministry; literal or a change in jewish male role equivalent?

- John's 3 passovers, or the synoptic's well within a year (Jame's warning)

- Passover; which one (as Scott noted).

And lastly,

- Tracking Paul backwards (has a hard date) to Stephan, a missing 2-year issue, but collides with the possible Jesus calculations

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4789
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 12:36 PM

I know the ESV Study Bible has a decent article on this topic though it is an article in a study bible so it won't have everything you are looking for.  Otherwise Harold Hoehner wrote several article in BibSac and they were eventually turned into a book called the Chronological Aspects of the Life of Christ.  If you have the BibSac journals you'll have those articles in Logos.  Otherwise, you can buy the above book somewhere else get a jist if interested.

Posts 631
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 2:33 PM

Denise:
- Born? Matthew's vs Luke's, a difference of approx 10 years or so.

Really? Please explain.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 4:32 PM

Let's remember the OP only asked for how to research; not what theories were most meritorious. Personally I doubt anyone knew.

Mat 2.1 for 4 bc or earlier, presuming Herod the Great, and not subsequent Herod versions (along with 2 Bethlehems)

Luk 1.5 similar wording, except it's John the Baptist. From subsequent wording, one might infer Jesus was 'on the way'

Luk 2.1-2 moves the dates considerably forward (appox 10 yrs). Various commentators try to move the wording backwards, or a different leader/census

Luk 3.23 Jesus begins ministry at 30 (the usual way to arrive at his death-age)

Joh 8.57 goes over the edge, so a non-literal meaning is needed (why Paul's dating can rule out a literal John)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 631
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 1:54 PM

Thanks Denise. That's pretty much where I thought you would go.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS