Back to Windows - Requirements for smooth Logos7

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 50
ML1992 | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 12 2018 10:32 AM

I’m going back to Windows, and I wanna use Logos pretty smoothly. Can somebody give me some info, Because I don’t wanna spend on specs that I dont need to run logos smoothly. I know I need a SSD for example, but on the rest I am a bit confused.

Basically, I don’t own a lot of resources, I only use the German Silver Pack, and that pretty much all I need since i can fully work with those language resources that are in there. And some people tell, that u would need a good graphics device... is this true? I mean, its not a game is it...

i thought of:

some SSD (dunno how big tho)

8GB RAM

Win10

and the rest is not that important,

please help me !

Greets

Posts 50
ML1992 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 10:35 AM

And that would lead me into some kind of Lenovo i guess, are these worth to buy?

Posts 17812
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 12 2018 11:40 AM

ML1992:
I mean, its not a game is it...

Logos is a resource intensive application that benefits from gaming configuration with solid state disk (SSD), fast processor, fast graphics, and adequate RAM. Visual filter highlighting and some interactive have graphic intensity.

For SSD, newer PCIe and NVMe are notably faster. 

Another item to consider is screen resolution and size.

Windows hardware tends to be less expensive up front (albeit needs more effort to keep software up to date than macOS).

Thankful for 99% feature parity between Windows and Mac so can switch platforms as desired (currently my primary laptop is a 2011 MacBook Air)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2186
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:27 PM

I'm still on a Sandy Bridge i3 4GB RAM and the older SSD. If you bought a new machine with 8GB RAM and more modern SSD you'd be plenty fast .

I like Lenovo but you ought to look at a Dell XPS 13 or 15. They are considered the benchmark machine for a Win laptop.You don't need the latest model either and you can snag a bargain in Dell's outlet site. Ditto Lenovo's outlet.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 50
ML1992 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 8:53 AM

What do you think of this one?

“Lenovo V320-17IKB 81AH005LGE”

Win10, 8GB RAM, 256SSD, i5 and huge 17,3’’ Dispay

Posts 8811
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 1:14 PM

ML1992:

What do you think of this one?

“Lenovo V320-17IKB 81AH005LGE”

Win10, 8GB RAM, 256SSD, i5 and huge 17,3’’ Dispay

You will notice a huge improvement with this configuration. SSD is the way to go.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 24482
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 1:39 PM

The 256 GB SSD would be minimum. Based on usage of your current (hard) drive is that sufficient? e.g. if you use 220 GB, allow an extra 20%, meaning you need at least 264 GB. So you need a 512 GB drive in this case.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 15 2018 5:23 AM

I scrounged and saved to get a quad core i7 along with the other recommendations. I had an i5 and it suffered tremendously - even with SSD. So, since you are asking for recommendations, I would get quad core i7, if possible.

Posts 8811
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 15 2018 5:59 AM

Bill Cook:
I had an i5 and it suffered tremendously - even with SSD.

That is interesting because I have an i5 with a 500 GB SSD and it has worked really well for a few years. When I went to purchase it a few years ago I checked the stats and didn't think it was worth the price to get an i7. I think the lesson here is to do the work of comparing all of the products and reading the current reviews.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 746
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 15 2018 6:12 AM

RAM is pretty cheap. I'd load up the system to the max. I have 16

Posts 17812
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 15 2018 6:51 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Bill Cook:
I had an i5 and it suffered tremendously - even with SSD.

That is interesting because I have an i5 with a 500 GB SSD and it has worked really well for a few years.

Suspect different generations of i5. CPU benchmarks => https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks show 7th Generation i7-7700K single core benchmark of 5707 being slightly faster than 8th Generation i5-8600K benchmark of 5701. Both are nearly 250 % faster than 1st Generation i5-750 benchmark of 2300 (so complete tasks in less than half the time). Later generations of i3 have substantial speed improvements so they are slightly slower than i7 while first generation i3-330UM is noticeably slower with benchmark of 951 (takes six times longer to compute task compared to fastest i7).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 15 2018 8:21 AM

Mine was an earlier i5 - dual core. So, it was very slow with Logos, comparatively. I don't remember which generation or its specs. I do remember it being slow.

Posts 8811
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 15 2018 2:04 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Suspect different generations of i5.

Very true as you have pointed out.

My processor numbers are Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300M CPU 2.60GHz 2.6 GHz and I have not noticed any speed issues running Logos.

Posts 608
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 15 2018 2:15 PM

I think its worth mentioning that a cheapish graphics card help as well over and above a built in one.

I ended up buying a second hand i7 computer and put a ssd in it. It was as cheap as a new i5 but the processor is faster. I also ran on a ivyleaf i5 and that was fast enough as well (until in broke)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS