tagging new downloads

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 14 2018 9:37 AM

Now that I'm finally tagging my monographs, I was thinking:  I often get numbers of books downloaded at the same time.  They are not always linked by publisher, series, or author.  Is there some quick way to find them in my library so I can tag them?  

Thank you

Posts 10761
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:00 AM

Larry Craig:
I often get numbers of books downloaded at the same time.  They are not always linked by publisher, series, or author.  Is there some quick way to find them in my library so I can tag them? 

You will want to sort the library view by "last updated" 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 627
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:03 AM

Larry Craig:

Now that I'm finally tagging my monographs, I was thinking:  I often get numbers of books downloaded at the same time.  They are not always linked by publisher, series, or author.  Is there some quick way to find them in my library so I can tag them?  

Thank you

I always "tag" my resources by stars (0-5). A "0" means that I haven't tagged that resource yet. I also have a collection called "0 Stars" into which go all the new resources until I tag them. When you open your library, you can open to search "My Tags" and sort them accordingly. I search for "0" stars and it limits the library to only those resources that have a star rating of "0". The last "tag" I put on any resource is a "star" rating and that way if I am interrupted for some reason while I'm tagging, I can always search for "0" stars.

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:05 AM

thank you, but why am I not seeing this option anywhere?

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:17 AM

thank you

I think your answer raises more questions for me though.  Are these stars the same as ratings?  I don't know anything about those either.  I don't see how to tag by star, unless you mean  you just highlight a whole bunch of books and put a O on them.  If I do that, I wouldn't be tagging my books as they get downloaded, but they would just be in a pile of untagged resources, right?

Posts 28470
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:45 AM

Larry Craig:

thank you, but why am I not seeing this option anywhere?

The library consists of a series of columns, which can be turned on or off, and positioned as desired. Right click on one of the headings and a selection menu will appear. In the library, scroll left and right. To rearrange the columns, click & drag the headings. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 627
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:47 AM

Larry Craig:

thank you

I think your answer raises more questions for me though.  Are these stars the same as ratings?  I don't know anything about those either.  I don't see how to tag by star, unless you mean  you just highlight a whole bunch of books and put a O on them.  If I do that, I wouldn't be tagging my books as they get downloaded, but they would just be in a pile of untagged resources, right?

Sorry for the confusion. As a new resource comes to your computer, there are no "stars." My collection "0 Stars" has a rule stating "myrating:0" and all of the new resources that haven't been rated will automatically go there. When I open my collections and select, "0 star" from the list of collections, it opens that panel. Then I open my library in another panel. The same way that you tagged your resources, you can add the rating.

To create the "0 Star Resources" collection, go to the "Tools" tab which will open another drop down menu. The first item on the menu should be under "Library" and it will be where you click to open the collections panel. Name the new collection "0 Star Resources (or whatever you wish that will remind you to rate these resources). Then add the rule: "mytag:0" (without the "". As soon as you complete that rule: the collection box should fill with the unrated resources. 

In the library panel, just to the right of the "find" box, there will be a "search all" that has a dashed underline. Click on that "search all" and a drop down box will open with a list of all available collections, etc., in your library that will then temporarily limit your search by whatever collection you choose. (In my drop down menu, I have: "search all," "personal books," and then a list of my collections and the 3rd one from the top (on my list, yours may differ) is "0 Star Resources." I can now see which books haven't been rated and can now begin the process of rating each resource. In my system a "1" is one that I will use very little, if at all, a "2" is one that I like, but maybe not enough to be used all the time, a "3" (where many of my resources are) means that I will use this resource most of the time, a "4" means that I'm very likely to use this resource ahead of most of the others and a "5" means that these resources get my first attention. Your ratings may differ.

Once I have placed a star rating of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 on a resource, that resource will "disappear" from my "0 star" collection. It takes a bit of time to do this initially, but after it is completed, rating new resources as they come in, is a piece of cake.

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:51 AM

thank you.  That was really helpful.

Posts 627
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:52 AM

Posts 11
Phil Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:53 AM

At the beginning of tagging my resources I searched in the library panel for "Title:* ANDNOT Mytag:*". this displayed all non tagged resources. If you are only tagging monographs then you could use monograph:* instead of title:*. Now I just sort by the Mytag column and the untagged resources are at the top or bottom of the list with no tag identified.

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 11:00 AM

thank you.  I am in the middle of a project.  I will need to go over this in detail later to see how it all works.

thanks again

Posts 877
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 14 2018 11:04 AM

thank you

I tried tagging by separating all my monographs, but every time it updated it, it went right back to the beginning.  I found that when I just go through the whole titles list, any item I tag only goes to the top of the page, so I don't lose my place.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS