Dataset Updates: February 20, 2018

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 9:12 PM

Thanks Dave for your help. I tried looking through some of the manuals but they don't make sense to me.

Peter

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 9:13 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Keep Smiling Smile
am now Big Smile

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 3647
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 2:25 AM

Is poetic language used to describe God's intervention in the figurative language of shooting arrows or riding clouds to be classified as a physical appearance theophany? 

Posts 22
LogosEmployee
Jimmy Parks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 9:36 AM

This is the definition used for the dataset. 

"Definition: A theophany is a physical, visual, or audible manifestation of God in his full glory and power. The event takes place in the context of the present earth and history, and not in a heavenly visitation."

An event where God comes down to earth on a cloud would fit this definition. The restricting factor for poetic/metaphorical language is whether is represents Gods physical presence in some way, and is not just a representation of his strength or power. 

Posts 24701
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 27 2018 4:05 PM

PL:

Thanks Dave for your help. I tried looking through some of the manuals but they don't make sense to me.

Peter

https://wiki.logos.com/Upgrading_to_Logos_7#Features shows where most datasets are used (in Guide sections, Searches, Visual Filters, but not Interactives).

Then use them as needed

• in Interactives and Guides
  • in a resource's Visual Filters menu
  • in the Context menu, below Lemma & Strong's on the right side,  the entries come from datasets
    • hover to see Preaching Themes, Cultural Concepts, Literary Typing, etc. Expand as necessary.
    • expand Label to see the different types of Label
    • select an entry
    • select a Search from the left side
    • the dataset documentation should explain the Search characteristics in more detail

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 11:24 AM

Thank you Dave for a very helpful reference.

Peter

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2018 12:37 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
The documentation will soon be updated

Hi Rick, I got the recently updated documentation yesterday and noticed that the section about accessing this in the Bible Browser has been removed. Was this intentional? Does this mean it will not be accessible in the Bible Browser? 

Also, the examples in the documentation still do not produce results by simply clicking on them (which kind of defeats the purpose of them being hyperlinked). They also seem to open up a basic search, but in my opinion, it seems more appropriate for them to open up a bible search. 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1264
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2018 12:43 PM

James Taylor:
Hi Rick, I got the recently updated documentation yesterday and noticed that the section about accessing this in the Bible Browser has been removed. Was this intentional? Does this mean it will not be accessible in the Bible Browser?

Yes, at present the dataset (Theophanies, correct?) is not included in the data accessed by Bible Browser. My guess is that it will eventually be integrated, but I have no idea on time frame.

James Taylor:
Also, the examples in the documentation still do not produce results by simply clicking on them (which kind of defeats the purpose of them being hyperlinked). They also seem to open up a basic search, but in my opinion, it seems more appropriate for them to open up a bible search. 

I'll notify the appropriate parties about this.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2018 12:58 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
I'll notify the appropriate parties about this.

Thanks Rick, I really look forward to the possible integration of this data in the Bible Browser, I personally feel that It would get the most use there. 

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS