A 18--Activity busy, then crashed

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10
David Whitaker | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 21 2010 10:53 AM

1. I opened  L4 and did a search for a passage. It all seemed to work fine.

2. I looked for another Bible (NLT), which seemed to take some time--about a minute to get through my library

3. Then I left it open to do some work on email. I noticed my fan running at high speed, so checked my "Activity Monitor" and saw the following": 2872 Logos Bible Software 4 Dave 186.4 29 465.71 MB Intel 1.58 GB. The "CPU" for L4 was running at 186.4. There was no search going on, nor did I see the indexing icon working. So I'm not sure what was going on.

4. Then as I was preparing this report, L4 just crashed. 

3324.Archive.zip

Thanks!

Posts 10
David Whitaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 11:11 AM

Here's a screen shot of my activity monitor--if that will help:

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 11:36 AM

David:

Could you be a bit more explicit with your steps? For instance for step one, did you do a search for the passage (which passage) from the HomePage? And in step two, what do you mean you looked for another bible? Did you use the command bar? The Library window?  Finally, is this reproducible? Thank you for the logs by the way. 

Posts 10
David Whitaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 12:05 PM

Yes, it is repeatable:

1. I opened up L4 and typed in "Isa 29" and hit the "go" button

2. Within a few seconds, I could start to here the fan starting to run faster

Here's the screen shot of L4, followed by the screen shot of my Activity Monitor and current log

5417.Archive.zip

Posts 10
David Whitaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 12:07 PM

I forgot to mention that I have to "force quit" to close L4

Thanks for your quick response!

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 12:18 PM

David:

Looking at the screenshot it seems you are doing a guide for the entire chapter. Could you tone down the range a bit and see if you have similar results?

Posts 10
David Whitaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 12:27 PM

That made a difference:

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 12:38 PM

David: 

I thought this might be the case. When I tried it on the Mac mini I have here at work it crashed trying to do that search (unsurprisingly). It even took a very long time on the imac with double the RAM and 3x the CPU. 

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 4:22 PM

Tommy, just to clarify and maybe alleviate any concerns from those reading along.  The crash is due to memory leaks of some kind, but once these get optimized in the Beta cycle, these larger searches should not be a problem.  Correct?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2010 4:25 PM

Joe Miller:

Tommy, just to clarify and maybe alleviate any concerns from those reading along.  The crash is due to memory leaks of some kind, but once these get optimized in the Beta cycle, these larger searches should not be a problem.  Correct?

Correct. In fact, I'm working on some of those optimizations right now (well, right now, I'm writing a forum post, but you get the idea...). No promises when it will get in, but some of this stuff should speed up before beta.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS