Theological Dictionary of the N.T. - How to use effectively?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 80
Steve Brannon | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 23 2010 5:55 AM

Our pastor recommended the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament as a fantastic resource.  I bought the One Volume version.

So far, I like the resource for it's content, but I find it difficult to use.  The TOC is in Greek.  I can't figure out how to search it from an open resource.  I can't figure out how to search it at all!  When I want to look something up, it's scroll-look, scroll-look, scroll-look... There has to be a better way!

If anyone has any experience with this resource (on the Mac) and can help me, I would appreciate it.

Steve

Posts 73
Boris Repschinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 23 2010 6:44 AM

It is a great resource, though occasionally a bit dated. Perhaps the easiest way to deal with it - and the big version, too - is to start it from a reverse interlinear. This will link to the Greek TOC of the dictionary. Don't try to read it through, but read the bible, and when you come across a word that interests you look it up in ThDNT.

Boris

Boris Repschinski

Professor of NT Studies

University of Innsbruck

Posts 80
Steve Brannon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 10:50 AM

It's not fast, but it works!

thanks,
Steve 

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:02 PM

You can also prioritize it in your library and then run an exegetical guide on the passage in question, it should be faster that way.

I would recommend getting the complete version at some point. I use it all the time along with BDAG, Liddel & Scott, and the Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament. These are included in some the the major Logos Base Collections (Gold or Platinum). Those are the major Greek Dictionaries.

Blessings!

Posts 654
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:22 PM

NIDOTT is arranged according to Hebrew words and NIDNTT using English words. When using the exegetical guide for NIDNTT, does NIDNTT show up as a Greek dictionary when you click on a Greek word? I have put some dictionaries like the TDNT in my exegetical guide even though the definition doesn't show up automatically (it stays blank and doesn't provide a definition). Yet if you click on it, you will be sent right to the correct word when the TDNT opens. Does this same thing occur with NIDNTT?

Posts 80
Steve Brannon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:15 PM

Can you explain what you mean by "prioritize it in your library"?  I have no idea what this means.

Thanks,
Steve 

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 4:00 AM

Logos 4 uses your resources on a priority basis...preferred first, and on down the ladder.

Go to your library, right click the resource, and the choose "pritorize this resource" and that will put it on the priority list...then you can drag it up to where you want it to appear in the list....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 80
Steve Brannon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 7:11 AM

Thanks to all for the valuable information, and helping me learn "how to fish".

This brings up a new question (perhaps for a new thread?): How do I discover all these hidden features in L4?  My Mac copy has no "Help" menu item.  Where is everyone else learning about these features and preferences?

Steve

Posts 5089
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 7:14 AM

but 1513 in Scotland

This community is the best place to learn (and share) tips for using L4.

And what to do when L4 decides that it doesn't want to be used.

Tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 21
Scott Gourley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 10:29 AM

did you write something before . . . "but 1513" . . . and it not post?  I was really interested in a response from the previous post.  I've been trying to make the transition from 3 to 4, and like the previous post stated, there's no help menu as yet.

Posts 5089
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 11:29 AM

Hi Scott

I really shouldn't try and be too cleaver. The line above says that the time is 7 something AM. Which is true for a subsection of the forum users but isn't (like one book I read) a universal truth.

I was non-too-subtly trying to make the point that it was 15:13 in Scotland.

By the way it is now 19:23 in Scotland and the forum remains the best place to get help, advice and tips for using the Alphas.

The developers are around - but they are mostly interested in gathering up Log files for their Log fires - the rest of us a learning as we go along and doing our best to point each other in the right direction. Welcome to the awkward squad.

That and trying to wind up the developers by telling them that their program doesn't work right yet keeps us amused during tea breaks.

So if you have any particular problems fire away.

Tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:04 PM

Mike Binks:
but 1513 in Scotland

Thanks for explaining that Mike. I thought that it was some profound reference to what happened in 1513 to Scotland, when James IV and many of his nobles were killed at the Battle of Flodden. (A dark day indeed! The floo'ers o' the forest are a' wa'ed awa'. Trans: The flowers of the forest are all withered away.)

Every blessing. If anyone is preaching tomorrow, may you know His empowering grace.

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 5089
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 2:12 PM

Nah, Alan

Just a simple soul me.

But thanks for your prayer - it moved me to prayer myself.

Yes! Its a pity about poor old James - just goes to show that when visiting the neighbours it is best not to take the army with you - leads to all sorts of misunderstandings.

Successful invasions in history must be very few and far between.

Tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 5:54 AM

Alan Macgregor:
I thought that it was some profound reference to what happened in 1513 to Scotland, when James IV and many of his nobles were killed at the Battle of Flodden.

Hmm

One of these days, I want visit a place where there are buildings older than that country I am a citizen of, maybe it will teach me some humility. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS