NEW: New Courses Available for Pre-Order

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 358
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 23 2018 3:07 PM

Our newest courses available for pre-order are TH351 Perspectives on Justification by Faith: Five Views on Its Meaning and Significance and CH321 History and Theology of John Calvin by Michael Allen.

TH351 Perspectives on Justification by Faith: Five Views on Its Meaning and Significance 

The doctrine of justification is central to the Christian faith. However, believers from different backgrounds have a variety of different understandings of what exactly being “justified by faith” means. In this course, five preeminent theologians present their perspectives on justification:

• Edith M. Humphrey—An Eastern Orthodox Perspective
  • Scott Hahn—A Roman Catholic Perspective
  • Matthew Bates—A Perspective on Faith as Allegiance in Justification
  • Michael F. Bird—A Reformed Perspective Nuanced by Historical Considerations
  • D.A. Carson—A Biblical-Theological Perspective

Each speaker explores what justification is, what faith is, and what the relationship between justification and faith is. You’ll come away from the course with a more distinct understanding of the different positions on justification and a renewed appreciation for God’s work of salvation.

CH321 History and Theology of John Calvin 

In History and Theology of John Calvin (CH321) Dr. Michael Allen examines the life of one of the most influential sixteenth-century Reformers. Dr. Allen looks at the cultural context of Calvin’s life, exploring the forces that shaped him and the people he learned from. He then delves into the beliefs of Calvin, looking specifically at his extensive work Institutes of the Christian Religion. You’ll come away from the course with a fuller understanding of John Calvin, what he believed, and how his theology has influenced Christian thought ever since.

Posts 513
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2018 12:02 PM

Miles,

Mobile Ed course on the Theology of John Calvin seems to be very abbreviated. Considering that we're are celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, I would think we would have a fuller accounting of John Calvin's history and theology. I'm sure 4 hours is better than nothing, but in my opinion doesn't begin to do the subject justice.

Can this course be expanded? 

Posts 4905
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2018 12:44 PM

I expected it would have been longer also Bobby but happy to have this offered all the same.

Posts 513
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2018 1:50 PM

Perhaps they can do a part 2 and even part 3. We have so many resources on John Calvin, that it would be nice to have an expert help us navigate everything. I would love to see a course just on the institutes as well.

Jean Henri Merle d’Aubigne’s work entitled "History of the Reformation in Europe in the Time of Calvin" is 8 volumes and 4,789 pages long. I look forward to studying more about Calvin than I have before.  

Posts 12
LogosEmployee
Thom Blair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2018 4:24 PM

Hi Bobby,

Here's a course on Calvin that was recently announced: https://www.logos.com/product/150391/mobile-ed-ch321-history-and-theology-of-john-calvin

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 5:06 AM

Thom Blair:

Hi Bobby,

Here's a course on Calvin that was recently announced: https://www.logos.com/product/150391/mobile-ed-ch321-history-and-theology-of-john-calvin

This is the same course as above in the OP; did you mean to post something else?

Posts 12
LogosEmployee
Thom Blair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 10:00 AM
Apologies, no. I misread Bobby's comment.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS