Can some Accordance users help me?

Page 3 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 55 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 10107
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 6:48 AM

Joseph Sollenberger:

Your innate comfort level with multitasking among divergent operations will really control your success in working with multiple Bible software platforms.

It is much akin to automobiles. Do you prefer Ford or Chevy or would you like both? After all, both will transport you from home to work and back.

Shalom,

Joseph

Correctomento. I keep 3 Bible software open, until a periodic reboot. Whichever one can deliver quickest in the format I want.

As to which would I recommend to someone new, it'd depend on the person, not the software. Are they a real pastor, or desk-jockey? Is money tight? OL that important? Are they going to trying to use it in a group (several users)? And so on.

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:37 AM

Denise:
Correctomento

I believe you meant "Correctamundo." Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10107
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 8:46 AM

JT (alabama24):

Denise:
Correctomento

I believe you meant "Correctamundo." Smile

I really need to brush up on my pseudo-spanish. The apostle Paul was far more talented in greek word creationing.

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 9:24 AM

Denise:
I really need to brush up on my pseudo-spanish.

That's not pseudo-spanish. That's Fonzarelli.

-Donnie

Posts 1915
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 6:27 PM

Originally my goal was to have all my content in Logos if possible. I even wouldn't heavily use resources I couldn't get in Logos (such as web-based resources). Now that I've moved to Nota Bene for my academic word processor and store all my citations in Ibidem, I've broadened my sources since I consolidate all my research in Nota Bene now.

In terms of Logos vs Accordance, I used to only crossgrade a handful of resources to Accordance (they have a crossgrade program which allows for discounts) if I felt I needed it on a regular basis in my Accordance workflow instead of bouncing between Logos and Accordance. I only crossgraded a couple commentaries to Accordance and always did the bulk of my commentary pricing in Logos. Overall, I'll probably still mainly crossgrade the resources I use on a regular basis to Accordance, although I have a little more of an incentive Now to crossgrade more resources in Accordance than try to run everything under Logos.

In terms of Olive Tree, I had a small library with them, but Olive Tree allowed me to donate my account to a student, and I ended up phasing it out in terms of simplicity. Right now I use Logos+Accordance+WORDsearch, and I may add YouVersion or Glo Bible into my workflow.

In terms of program speed, during research projects, I tend to keep all three programs open. I only close them when I'm not actively using them since I also have a secular job and have to run other non-biblical tools when I'm not knee-deep in biblical research. I should probably just keep everything open and leverage macOS virtual desktops instead and put my Bible stuff in a desktop and my work stuff in another desktop. On my older iMac, it would have been more painful to do so. On my iMac Pro, I have plenty of room to breathe.

In terms of the Information Panel, the delay doesn't really bother me. It's more the overall size/placement of it. I haven't found a way to comfortably display it yet when teaching like I can with the Accordance Instant Details pane. I've tried both when teaching and Accordance just performs better in a teaching environment. I've tended to heavily do my research in Logos then do my teaching in Accordance. 

In terms of the tooltip font, this may be doable in Windows. I remember back on Windows when I worked in a weather program I had to stream live on air, its tooltip fonts were tiny and hard to read. I was able to go in and bump up the tooltip font and change the color of tooltips to make them easier to read. Not sure if this can be done directly on macOS or how it'd work with Logos. I agree it's a feature Logos should look at adding. It's one major reason I've been using Accordance over Logos in teaching.

In terms of BDAG/HALOT, I thought Logos somehow implemented this feature. Thanks for sharing that. I'll check it out.

Nathan Parker

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 7:04 PM

Donnie Hale:
That's not pseudo-spanish. That's Fonzarelli.

Give that man an "Ayyy!" 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 20
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 28 2018 7:53 PM

With Accordance, when I install a resource, I'm done.  No indexing, which is a big win!  Yes

Posts 42
Cromwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 6:17 AM

Andrew116:
Go to Visual Filters menu on BDAG/HALOT and choose emphasise active references. 

This one tip has made a massive difference to my study.  Thanks!

Andrew - do you have any more top tips to share?

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 6:51 AM

Nathan Parker:
In terms of the Information Panel, the delay doesn't really bother me. It's more the overall size/placement of it. I haven't found a way to comfortably display it yet when teaching like I can with the Accordance Instant Details pane.

I'm don't understand what you're saying....! Is there something that can't be done in terms of placement/size?

Tiny and in the corner:

Using up half the screen:

In the middle:

In a floating window:

Is there some other configuration that's important to you?

Posts 10107
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 8:01 AM

Can't speak for Nathan, but 'popup' isn't in the Logos series. It was in Libby. It means I have to keep the Logos windows smaller than the available screen to allow info and highlighting panels. But users probably vary in prefs.

Posts 1915
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 6:51 PM
What I'm looking for is a way to get the Information Panel horizontally at the bottom of the screen in a way where it doesn't take up too much screen real estate (similar to Accordance's Instant Details pane).

Nathan Parker

Posts 128
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 7:59 PM

Is your monitor landscape or portrait?

As screens get wider, don't vertical panels take up less space?

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2018 10:32 PM

Andrew116:

I agree! Especially considering the ability to add/remove/reorder sections of the info panel, I think that a small vertical panel makes much more sense than horizontally. The panel could vertically span more panes if one wants to see more information without scrolling. However, using a small pane–just large enough to have the most relevant information remain constantly in view–maximizes screen real-estate (I argue that it's better than Accordance), while allowing a user to quickly scroll for more sections. Horizontal scrolling might be OK with a trackpad or magic mouse, but most users will consider vertical scrolling to be the only viable option.

I concur that if the AMOUNT of information that you want constantly displayed is STATIC, and IF that amount fits perfectly into the alotted horizontal pane, then that would be a good option. I find, however, that the Logos implementation is much more flexible and powerful, but that's just 'my lousy opinion'! 🤪

Posts 1915
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 1:39 PM

Andrew116:

Is your monitor landscape or portrait?

When I last taught, I was working off a Surface Book which had a wacky 3:2 resolution, plus overall Windows did a horrible job at high density screen scaling. I could never comfortably work off of that machine (plus I found out I'm not "Windows compatible"). Now that I'm on an iMac Pro, I have a stunning 5K retina display that works great on scaling overall. I'll give the Info Panel a spin again on my iMac Pro now and see if I can more comfortably work with it on this screen.

No matter what I did on the Surface Book to adjust the scaling of Logos, it was either too tiny or too blurry. Accordance even had a few issues at the start but resolved them in an update where I could comfortably use it for teaching. I'll spend some UI time on my iMac Pro now that I have a machine that works and see how I'll want to teach off of this machine. Everything that was "half-baked" and wacky on my Surface Book "just works" on the iMac Pro.

Btw Andrew, send me an email to parkernathan[at]me[dot]com (replace bracketed text with punctuation) when you have a free moment. Got something I want to run by you off the Logos forums.

Nathan Parker

Posts 128
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 9:02 PM

Hehe surface pro, there’s your first problem :P

Posts 1915
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2018 9:24 PM

Andrew116:

Hehe surface pro, there’s your first problem :P

Tell me about it. I ended up giving the Surface away and moving to an iMac Pro. So glad to be back on a Mac! :-)

Nathan Parker

Page 3 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS