Oxford Commentary

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5302
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:50 PM

I am getting a wee bit confused as i read in the forums here. Some places I see that i should be able to open up the item and view it as a monograph. Other places say that the old file cannot be viewed on the macintosh. I was under the impression that whatever files the windows version can read the file but not the mac. Will this be corrected in the future or will the mac version never be able to read old .lls files???

-dan

PS:I am not yet a user of L4 since i won;t have a macbook pro for a few more days..

Posts 4834
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 10:22 AM

Daniel 

Perhaps you could give us some more information on 'Oxford Commentary' if I search on it in Logos products I get no hits!

As far as I am aware every book you can buy from Logos can be read on the Mac.

There are some features of the Windows beta that have yet to be transferred to the Mac but they are all on the way.

Tootle pip

Mike

Posts 1496
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 11:45 AM

The Oxford 1-volume commentary was in an old format. I don't think it even got put into L3 format, because Logos doesn't have permission to do so. Windows L4 can read the old formats, so I have access to the Oxford commentary on my old Dell, but Mac L4 can't read the old formats. At least, such is the explanation I was given. I've posted on the Oxford commentary several times both here, and back in the pre-forum days.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Bible-Commentary/dp/B000RPGAW0

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 4834
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:55 PM

The promise is that the mac version of logos will be at least as feature rich as the Windows version.

So I guess you may just have to hold them to the promise.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:14 PM

Might be a bug.  Seems like reading a particular resource format would be something the base code would handle, not UI.  My point is that one would expect the Mac engine to already recognize the resource.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:31 PM

Ben:
Windows L4 can read the old formats, so I have access to the Oxford commentary on my old Dell, but Mac L4 can't read the old formats.

Ben,

The resource reading code is EXACTLY the same code on Windows and Mac. I know, because I worked on porting it. There's no extra code in Windows for reading old formats that was left out of Mac. If what you're saying is true, then it's a bug in L4 Mac and something we should fix.

Did you try to import the Oxford commentary into your library on L4 Mac? What steps did you take?

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:34 PM

DanielWFrancis:
am getting a wee bit confused as i read in the forums here. Some places I see that i should be able to open up the item and view it as a monograph. Other places say that the old file cannot be viewed on the macintosh. I was under the impression that whatever files the windows version can read the file but not the mac.

Everything that is readable on Windows should be readable on Mac. If a particular book doesn't work on Mac and does on Windows, then we'll have to see if it's a bug in the Mac code somewhere or in the resource itself.

Posts 1496
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 7:07 PM

It's simply not there, and to my knowledge it's the only one of my books that shows up in L4 on my old Dell, but not on my Mac.

When I installed L4 Mac, I did it the standard way, and all my books downloaded. But Oxford didn't, and I wasn't surprised, because I was told by someone on staff, way back with the first Mac engine, that Oxford wouldn't work on the Mac side. My brother, who also switched to Mac, and only owns the NET Bible and Oxford commentary also doesn't have the Oxford show up.

I haven't tried to import it manually because a) I'm not sure how b) I shouldn't need to (if it's totally compatile, why hasn't it downloaded with my other licensed books?) and c) I never tried, since I was told so long ago by one of the Logos folks that it couldn't be updated and therefore wouldn't be available for Mac.

So... what steps should I take to try to get it in?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 7:17 PM

1) Stick the disk in the CD drive

2) Type Scan Optical Media in the command bar

3) Close and Reopen Logos

4) Logos should look for the files and install on the machine

Hope this works

Posts 1496
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 8:27 PM

I don't have the disk anymore. (Pretty sure, anyway.) I copied the files from the Dell with a flash drive, and tried to open them in L4, but error messages. I don't think "scan optical media" looks at USB flash drives, but I tried that too and it didn't find anything.

The Oxford commentary is a Logos 2 book, comes in two files with .lsf and .lix extensions. oxbibcom.lsf and oxbibcom.lix

http://www.logos.com/ArticleViewer/252

And they open just fine in L4 Windows.

Edit: hunted around, found this old thread. http://community.logos.com/forums/t/206.aspx I'm still not sure how to "convert" the old version to the new version as some say can be done there.

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 8:33 PM

Well, try and open the files in L4 Mac again and then post logs.

Idea: perhaps if you burn the files onto a cd you can use scan optical media to install the files

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:24 PM

Ben:
don't have the disk anymore. (Pretty sure, anyway.) I copied the files from the Dell with a flash drive, and tried to open them in L4, but error messages. I don't think "scan optical media" looks at USB flash drives, but I tried that too and it didn't find anything.

There is also a "Scan <Path>" command in addition to "Scan optical media". So here's what you can do:

1) Copy the files to the USB Key

2) Put the USB Key in your Mac

3) Wait for the to show up. Note the name of the drive, "USB Key" or "My Key" or whatever.

4) Enter "Scan /Volumes/<Drive Name>" into the command bar where <Drive name> is the name of the drive on your desktop.

5) Restart Logos 4.

6) The indexer should start up with "Preparing your library" for a little longer than usual while it scans that folder for the new files.

7) Once the indexer finishes, check if the books have shown up in your library. (If the books aren't there, save the Indexer.log file and restart).

8) If you restart and the books still arent' there, post your current logs and your previous Indexer.log and we'll take a look.

Tom

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:35 PM

Thanks for the scan path trick.  That could be useful

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2010 9:20 AM

Thanks, Tom, for another Philpot gem. Once again I'm adding this as a favourite. Smile

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 1496
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 5:21 AM

No luck. I'll post my logs, but I'm not sure they'll be useful. I haven't had A18 successfully close in the last few days. Either it hangs and I have to kill it manually, or it crashes. Either way, I'm not sure the scan command gets saved.

7002.log.zip

Posts 3176
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 11:35 AM

Everyone:

For what its worth. In order to make sure the correct path is being typed in I found a way to show the file path that should be typed in Finder. It maybe that you aren't adding something that needs to be added. You could also try copying the file to your desktop and scan from there.

Rather than re-hash the instructions I'll just link to them.

Ben:

Do you know the file name? I can see if I can load it to my machine. And to clarify as to what the whole LLS books wont work on that Mac thing was about. The Mac version of Libronix was never created to read the LSF/LIX files types which LLS used. So the statement that the LLS books would never work on the Mac was isolated to Libronix.

Posts 1496
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 11:45 AM

The files are named oxbibcom.lsf and oxbibcom.lix.

I don't understand how this "The Mac version of Libronix was never created to read the LSF/LIX files types which LLS used. So the statement that the LLS books would never work on the Mac was isolated to Libronix"

is compatible with the statement that everything readable on the PC version is readable on the Mac version.

In fact, I'm not sure what that quoted statement means at all. "the statement that the LLS books would never work on the Mac was isolated to Libronix"   What does it mean? Libronix=Logos=LLS, no?

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Ben:
Libronix=Logos=LLS, no?

No. Libronix DLS 1.x.x for Mac, the original Mac software released by Logos is a wholly distinct product from Logos 4 Mac. Except for the fact that they a) both work on the Mac and b) are produced by Logos, they have little (if anything) in common. They are entirely separate codebases.

So, Libronix DLS 1.x.x doesn't consume old resources.

Logos 4, on the other hand, should work the same on both Windows and Mac with regard to resources. So, if Logos 4 Windows reads it, Logos 4 Mac should as well.

Colloquially, when referring to the Mac versions, "Libronix" refers to the Libronix DLS 1.x series software for the Mac.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 3176
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 2:15 PM

Ben:

Allow me to clarify, and my apologies for repetition of any pieces of information you already know.

Prior to my post you stated two things which were the main items which I wanted to address.

"but Mac L4 can't read the old formats. At least, such is the explanation I was given." *link

And

"c) I never tried, since I was told so long ago by one of the Logos folks that it couldn't be updated and therefore wouldn't be available for Mac." *link

Prior to Libronix Digital Library System Logos used what was called Logos Library System (LLS) The books that were created in the era of LLS were written with specific extensions .lix and .lsf. 

Then came Libronix Digital Library System or Libronix DLS. Resources written specifically for that system were written with the file extension .lbxlls. Furthermore Libronix for Windows was always designed to read the LLS format of .lsf and .lix. In the case of the Mac version of Libronix however this was not so. the .lsf and .lix files were never able to be read by Libronx DLS for Mac 1.2.2 or any of its prior iterations. 

Finally Logos 4 has arrived. The file extensions for books written specifically or Logos 4 are .logos4. With that said Logos4 reads .lsf/.lix files but where available will end up replacing them with .logos4 files of the same resource, and the same goes for files written with the .lbxlls format. 

To reiterate my point, the Mac version of Libronix DLS would not read the .lix/.lsf format because that was never implemented for Libronix DLS on the Mac. However as Tom stated, Logos4 should. Finally it should be kept in mind that  if we have lost the ability to distribute a book--any book-- we will not have it available for you or anyone to download because we have lost legal authority to distribute the files--whether they have the license or not.

I hope that clarifies my post.

Posts 3176
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 3:53 PM

Everyone:

Right now there is a bug in the scan function. Tom is working on it as we speak.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS