Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 52 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2018 11:50 AM

Friedrich:
About going to essentials, perhaps email

It is a mute point since FL has reversed course. LN has returned, under a new name. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2018 4:51 PM

JT (alabama24):

It is a mute point since FL has reversed course. LN has returned, under a new name. 

Moot Point vs. Mute Point Wink

You may have heard coworkers or acquaintances refer to an inconsequential or irrelevant point as a moot point, or maybe you’ve heard mute point instead. Fans of the TV show Friends may have heard a third variation: moo point (because, according to Joey, a cow’s opinion doesn’t matter). But which expression is correct, and what exactly does it mean?

The correct phrase is moot point. A moot point can be either an issue open for debate, or a matter of no practical value or importance because it’s hypothetical. The latter is more common in modern American English. The term comes from British law where it describes a hypothetical point of discussion used as teaching exercise for law students. This finds its roots in an early noun sense of moot: “an assembly of the people in early England exercising political, administrative, and judicial powers.”

The word mute means “silent; refraining from speech or utterance,” and the pairing mute point has no canonized meaning in standard English. However, it’s easy to imagine how this mistake might make sense in some contexts, and perhaps that’s why it’s so frequently confused with moot point. In a book of wordplay called Wordbirds: An Irreverent Lexicon for the 21st Century, Liesl Schillinger humorously defines a mute point as follows: “When somebody in a group makes a good suggestion, but somehow nobody hears it.” In a similar vein, Urban Dictionary defines it as “addressing the participants of a conference call while your phone is on mute.”

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2018 7:26 PM

The funny thing... I knew that and still spelled it wrong. Smile

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 2:11 AM

I had actually assumed auto-correct got you somehow (many is a time I had to resend a correction to what it corrected Smile) but I just had to share the funny definition.

Thank you for taking it in the spirit it was sent. Yes

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 4:39 AM

Celeste Fiorillo:

Update on what I said earlier - and good news for Now members who are on Connect Starter - you'll get two codes this month!

For March:

If you have Logos Now only: use NOWFREEBOOKMAR18

If you have Logos Now & Faithlife Connect Starter: use NOWFREEBOOKMAR18 and FREECLASSICMAR

If you have Faithlife Connect Essentials & higher: use FREECLASSICMAR

Starting in April:

We will use the same code and offer for both Now and Faithlife Connect. It will be updated on www.logos.com/now-members and https://connect.faithlife.com/get-started  

Thank you Celeste. I suppose it would be too much to ask that you keep the word "NOW" in the free book code? It would remind us Now users of our heritage and it would remind FL of what happened in the last two weeks. Kind of like the ancient Israelites did with monuments of stone for important milestones.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 4:42 AM

Scott E. Mahle:

I had actually assumed auto-correct got you somehow (many is a time I had to resend a correction to what it corrected Smile) but I just had to share the funny definition.

Thank you for taking it in the spirit it was sent. Yes

I get caught by auto-correct all the time. I once sent "thong" to my daughter when my iPhone corrected my spelling of "thing". I also have a bad habit of replying to the wrong text message.

Posts 205
Marshall Harrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 4:48 AM

Nathan Parker:

Sounds good. I grabbed the LN book, and I'll get the Connect books when they migrate us to Connect Essentials (No Library). 

Thanks!

I grabbed all of them. But I did that last week before Bob announced Connect Essentials (no library) for us Now users. Not sure what will happen when the final migration takes place but I trust that Bob will do right by us.

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 1:24 PM

JT (alabama24):

Friedrich:
About going to essentials, perhaps email

i'd prefer you mute this discussion and not bump it since I have since made that connection...Wink

i'm going to drink some vermouth with my mute moose since all else is moot.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 1:36 PM

Friedrich:
mute moose

Perhaps a mutation.  Or a stuffer mutilation.

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2018 6:12 PM

Zip it! Stick out tongue

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2018 6:48 AM

scooter:

Friedrich:
mute moose

Perhaps a mutation.  Or a stuffer mutilation.

Big SmileBig Smile

a moosetation.

Posts 26
Troy Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2018 11:34 AM

I have a buddy from Holland who says "mook point".  He thought that was we were saying. heh

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2018 12:12 PM

Troy Allen:

I have a buddy from Holland who says "mook point".  He thought that was we were saying. heh

Big Smile

Mookie played for the Red Sox, I think.  Why they care about him in Holland, or the points he makes, is beyond me...Stick out tongue

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS