Skip Beta Full Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10
Harry Swayne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:19 PM

I attended the WAMM conference event at 1st Baptist Glenarden (REDZONE) last Saturday.  I overheard the Logos rep set up with his wares that The Logos 4 Mac was being released this summer in its full version!  My pastor will actually be getting the full version from him for MAC!

Am I the only one who has heard this great news?

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:30 PM

I'm not a logos employee, but I think that is the goal. HOWEVER, for the devs sake, we ought to be gracious and take summer to mean something like late August and not late May Big Smile  I'd like a full featured product as much as anyone, but I want to allow the devs to do their best work possible

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:32 PM

Also, its possible that "full Logos 4" could mean "feature complete, but not optimized for speed" Hmm

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 4:46 PM

As far as I am aware, no timetable has been mentioned, but I would be very surprised to see the full thing by summer's end. A beta is *possible* by the end of the summer, but we'll have to wait and see.

Posts 1518
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 8:49 PM

I just installed Windows 7 with Boot Camp because I couldn't take it anymore. I felt like I was driving brand new BMW with major electrical problems. Sure I had leather seats and cold AC, but the engine would turn off for no reason and only half my dash would light up.

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:32 PM

Chris Roberts:

As far as I am aware, no timetable has been mentioned, but I would be very surprised to see the full thing by summer's end. A beta is *possible* by the end of the summer, but we'll have to wait and see.

Why don't you believe so? We are almost there, almost all the feature are in. We do need some optimization but I can see it by June or July! Just curious to see why you don't think so.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 10:04 PM

Jerry Walker:
We are almost there, almost all the feature are in.

I guess that is a matter of perspective. There is still quite a bit missing. Even though *some* notes are visible, notes is still essentially not present. Same for markup. None of the interlinear tools work. Nothing exists for Parallel Resource Associations. No passage lists. No prayer lists. No handouts. No clippings. Of the features that are present, some of them are minimally present and many of them have bugs.

That's a quick analysis. I'm sure the complete list of differences is a bit longer. Many of the missing features are not things that I use often, but they will still be needed before we can call it feature parity. Also, optimization will need quite a bit. From my own use, the Alphas are growing slower and more unstable. I'm actually using the Alphas less than before (though one reason for that is the introduction of Passage Lists in the PC version - I love those). But this was a problem I had in the original PC beta. Progress was evident but it was sometimes too slow to use, especially in a VM. Logos cleaned all that up in the PC version, I'm sure they will clean up the Mac version. It's just going to take a little while.

As I have stated before, I'm pleased with the progress. I'm encouraged to see the increasing focus on the Mac version and I have no doubt the program will get where it needs to be. The Mac team is working hard and we are seeing good progress from their efforts. And I am sure the Mac team is working hard on those missing features and they may be farther along than I expect, I just don't want to have false expectations as to how long (or short) it will take to bring L4 Mac to parity with the PC version. 

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 11:36 PM

Chris Roberts:

Jerry Walker:
We are almost there, almost all the feature are in.

I guess that is a matter of perspective. There is still quite a bit missing. Even though *some* notes are visible, notes is still essentially not present. Same for markup. None of the interlinear tools work. Nothing exists for Parallel Resource Associations. No passage lists. No prayer lists. No handouts. No clippings. Of the features that are present, some of them are minimally present and many of them have bugs.

Here is the official list from the Release notes

Works (but still being improved)

• Home Page
  • Resource Display
  • Basic Search
  • Bible Search
  • Passage Guide (some sections still outstanding)
  • Bible Word Study (most sections in progress)
  • Exegetical Guide
  • Media Resources
  • Layout Menu
  • Context Menu
  • Information Panel
  • Power Lookup
  • Biblical People
  • Bible Explorer
  • Cited By
  • Guide Template Editor
  • Favorites
  • Program Settings
  • Text Comparison
  • Biblical Places
  • Biblical Things
  • History
  • Copy Bible Verses
  • Morph Search
  • Highlighting (Visual Markup)
  • Collections
  • Reading Lists
  • Reading Plan
  • Passage Analysis
  • Visual Filters

Not Yet Implemented (in no particular order)

• Syntax Search
  • Notes
  • Clause Visualizer
  • Timelines
  • Audio Bible
  • Reverse Interlinear
  • Clippings
  • Handouts
  • Word Find Puzzle
  • Graph Bible Search Results

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 24 2010 11:45 PM

Thanks Joe. When I look at that list I see the remaining things on the list minor (with the exception of RI and notes) but I think we almost there! Soon real Soon!

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2010 12:27 AM

You are welcome.  Here are some screenshots to help those not using Mac Alpha

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/16126/122293.aspx#122293

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2010 9:54 AM

Harry Swayne:

I attended the WAMM conference event at 1st Baptist Glenarden (REDZONE) last Saturday.  I overheard the Logos rep set up with his wares that The Logos 4 Mac was being released this summer in its full version!  My pastor will actually be getting the full version from him for MAC!

Am I the only one who has heard this great news?

We still have no official release date for Logos 4 for Mac. The representative with whom you spoke is either misinformed or overly optimistic Smile.

Also note that I'm not saying that we won't release it during the summer--we've added quite a few developers in Bellevue, recently, and the effect that this will have on the schedule is difficult to predict (each developer takes a different amount of time to get up to speed, has different strengths, etc.).

I'm only saying that we have no official release date, so plan accordingly.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2010 12:50 PM

Whether L4 for Mac skips to 'beta' phase or not is merely an issue of semantics. The application still needs the feature set completing, it needs the bugs ironing out, and it still needs optimising for performance. What we call it during these stages makes little difference, it will still take the time it takes. In the mean time it's becoming more and more useful with each alpha release.

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 4:41 AM

Actually I have had the most trouble with 18 than any previous Alpha, I could not rely on it at all, anything I tried to do caused it to crash. I'll just wait for 19 now.

Posts 27
Dave Ketah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 7:26 AM

Ditto that.  I have had a number of the problems that others have documented on this board with A18, which seems to be the least stable of all of them thus far.

Posts 25
Jason Alligood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 9:06 AM

Interesting. I've found A18 to be the most stable so far.  Usable for not only my seminary studies, but sermon and lesson prep as well.  I don't say this by way of rubbing salt in anyone's wounds, but just by way of curiosity.  Seems to be some different experiences out there.Huh?

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 9:07 AM

Dennis and Dave,

I don't recognize your names from the Mac forum. If you could post there with what is crashing and with your logs, that would help the developers fix them and speed up development.  The more bug reports we get, the faster we move toward a final release Cool

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2010 9:49 AM

Jason Alligood:

Interesting. I've found A18 to be the most stable so far.  Usable for not only my seminary studies, but sermon and lesson prep as well.  I don't say this by way of rubbing salt in anyone's wounds, but just by way of curiosity.  Seems to be some different experiences out there.Huh?

Same here...A18 has been the most stable (and most snappy) Mac L4 Beta on MY system thus far. A17 was the worst - I couldn't open it without crashing.  Lightning   I still have to use the Windows version for my studies (I need all the interlinears), but I am VERY pleased with the progress of L4 Mac. Yes

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS