1 Samuel 17:4 is Missing in On-Screen Bible

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Paul Ellis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 10 2018 4:07 PM

About a month ago, the sermon series reached 1 Samuel 17, and so, I added it to Proclaim in the On-Screen Bible. When I flipped through it, though, I noticed that it wouldn't display 1 Samuel 17:4. When it reached the v3-4 slide, only verse 3 was in dark text, though verse 4 was visible in the faded gray text used for text before and after the displayed verse. When the slide advanced, it was showing verse 5.

I tried to set one slide specifically to verse 4, and when moving to that slide, it flipped to a blank space prior to the start of chapter 17 (though verse 1 onward is visible in the faded gray text), and then back to the next verse when moving to the next slide.

I tried a different Bible version (ESV originally, and I don't remember which one the second time), but it had the same behaviour.

This was all on my home computer. I tried again the next morning, on the church computer, and the same thing happened. I ended up using "Bible" instead of "On-Screen Bible", and that worked fine.

It's my turn to run Proclaim again this weekend, and I just tried it again, but the same thing is happening to this passage.

I did one more test this time: is appears to only happen when using the third style type for On-Screen Bible.

Please fix the display of 1 Samuel 17:4.

Posts 262
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 10:19 AM

Hello Paul,

Thank you for pointing this out!  We'll look into addressing it.

Posts 9
Paul Ellis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 10:07 AM

Hello, I have Proclaim 2.10.0.0008 installed and am today seeing the same behaviour. This is more than 9 months later, so I thought I should stir this thread up again.

Posts 9586
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 12:49 PM

Paul, I'm just popping your thread back up. Actually, they don't like me, so they'll more quickly fix it!

But I was curious why Proclaim might jump past this specific verse. Initially I thought it might be the scary proportions of the gentleman. Many in the congregation might swoon.

But the more likely culprit is the english 'champion'. Apparently, the problem is literally thousands of years old ... probably early versions of Proclaim stumbled and quite validly.

For the well-outfitted Logos owner:

- A message from Ugarit requires a less humbling messenger ... someone not so 'average'

- The Targum translator mightily struggles with the word, unsatisfyingly

- Qumranian war-planners go for an infantryman 

- The greek translator goes for just strong

- The latin translator switches sides with spurious, which seems to come from an early greek version

- Which leads to the early english XXXXX (not having the correct father)

This may well be Proclaim's issue.  Happy New Year!

Posts 4420
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 8:01 AM

Denise:
This may well be Proclaim's issue.  Happy New Year!

Happy New Yer Denise; I think you may be onto something!

With an idle moment to fiddle  it seems for 1 Samuel 17 4 we can have the following results...

ESV – No

GNB – Yes (no champions here)

LEB – No

AV – No

AMP – No

NIV Anglicised – Yes (and we have a champion)

The Message – Yes

NRSV – No

NLT – No (and with a champion)

then I got bored but at least I bumped the post again.

Posts 9586
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 8:21 AM

Idea

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS