How do I use my lexicon?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 11 2018 3:44 PM

I am using the BDB for Hebrew and am not sure, really, how to properly utilize it during my Bible study. 

I understand that lexicons provide a gloss, which comes up in various places (info tab, for example), but other than that I don't know how to appreciate the information presented. 

Every time I double-click on word my Logos opens my BDB up to that lemma. I do have outline formatting enabled, which helps me visibly see the content, but I still don't really know what to do with it. 

Any good video (or otherwise) explanations out there? Thanks.

Alex

Posts 2060
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 7:33 PM

Alexander Fogassy:

I am using the BDB for Hebrew and am not sure, really, how to properly utilize it during my Bible study. 

I understand that lexicons provide a gloss, which comes up in various places (info tab, for example), but other than that I don't know how to appreciate the information presented. 

Every time I double-click on word my Logos opens my BDB up to that lemma. I do have outline formatting enabled, which helps me visibly see the content, but I still don't really know what to do with it. 

Any good video (or otherwise) explanations out there? Thanks.

Alex

Not sure this is what you're looking for, but it's a start. https://www.logos.com/logos-pro/lexicon-outlining 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 23706
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 9:01 PM

Alexander Fogassy:

Outline Formatting certainly helps with the presentation of BDB, but you (like me) will get more useful information from DBL Hebrew.  

The Noun feminine (n.f. or n.fem) is the part of speech and gender of the Hebrew word (lemma) for "love", as opposed to the Verb "to love".

BDB refers/links to the DBL Hebrew entry via the code GK173. Both refer to the Enhanced Strong's lexicon entry S160 or Str 160, and to the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament entry (TWOT 29c); which could be useful if you have them. Those codes come from the days of hard copy books, but Logos still uses them as links. From the word in your bible, the right click Context menu gives you a choice of lexicons to use, whilst a double-click in a Hebrew bible will access your preferred lexicon (BDB).

The BDB in this case gives examples of two forms of 'love' - 'human to human' and 'God to human' - whilst the words above are different forms that the lemma (or dictionary word) can take in actual use. The latter is probably not that interesting unless you are a Hebrew scholar e.g. the English dictionary word 'draw' gives rise to 'drew', 'drawn', 'draw', 'draws' in actual use. The DBL is less technical.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 9:12 AM

Thank you Dave.

And yes I am interested in the technical value that the BDB and other lexicons offer, as I am in seminary, but what you posted is very helpful as well. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS