MM: Let's get serious for a second about commentaries...

Page 2 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 100 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 5
David Schroder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 11:27 AM

I have found the best resources online to be the Denver Seminary Annotated Bibliographies (https://denverseminary.edu/resources/news-and-articles/new-testament-exegesis-bibliography-2018/ and https://denverseminary.edu/resources/news-and-articles/annotated-old-testament-bibliography-2018/)

These:

(1) Are updated yearly by scholars whose livelihood depends on them staying up to date;

(2) Encompass a wide breadth of scholarship (i.e. not just evangelical); yet

(3) Are biased towards recommending evangelical views.

I strongly prefer the Denver Seminary lists to Bestcommentaries.com because they aren't weighted towards older material (it takes time for new commentaries to build up ratings). I prefer the lists to recommendations from e.g. Challies or Carson because they are by committee and (in theory) less prone to random favoritism.

You can review those lists for yourselves but the clear winners seem to be Baker and Pillar for NT (and Baker on OT wisdom/poetry) and NIC for both OT and NT, but there's lots of WBC, TOTC/TNTC, Anchor Bible, etc.

Posts 942
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 11:57 AM

David Schroder:

I have found the best resources online to be the Denver Seminary Annotated Bibliographies (https://denverseminary.edu/resources/news-and-articles/new-testament-exegesis-bibliography-2018/ and https://denverseminary.edu/resources/news-and-articles/annotated-old-testament-bibliography-2018/)

These:

(1) Are updated yearly by scholars whose livelihood depends on them staying up to date;

(2) Encompass a wide breadth of scholarship (i.e. not just evangelical); yet

(3) Are biased towards recommending evangelical views.

I strongly prefer the Denver Seminary lists to Bestcommentaries.com because they aren't weighted towards older material (it takes time for new commentaries to build up ratings). I prefer the lists to recommendations from e.g. Challies or Carson because they are by committee and (in theory) less prone to random favoritism.

You can review those lists for yourselves but the clear winners seem to be Baker and Pillar for NT (and Baker on OT wisdom/poetry) and NIC for both OT and NT, but there's lots of WBC, TOTC/TNTC, Anchor Bible, etc.

David

Thanks for the links I had lost them and a Google search no longer finds them.

Alex

One thing I think the NT link to the Denver recommendations shows is how highly rated the ZECNT commentaries are. I'm just a lowly lay preacher. You are probably studying Greek. But one of the things I like is that the ZECNT commentaries are the only advanced commentaries I can read and make sense of - and yet are highly rated too. The New International Greek NT series you refer to probably only makes sense to those better equipped to read a commentary with the Greek regularly referred to. The ZECNT is based on the Greek but does so in a way that most can understand.

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:19 PM

Great, thank you. 

Where, if I were interested, could I purchase the Denver Seminary commentaries? Any rumors of Logos incorporating them? 

And I'm assuming they are electronic in some form?

Alex

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:22 PM

Oops, sorry. I see that what you're talking about is an alternate list. 

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:29 PM

Anyone know of a list that gives the best commentaries for each Book, from the Dispensational perspective? Or at least from authors with dispensational leanikngs?

Posts 5
David Schroder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:42 PM

Alexander Fogassy:

Anyone know of a list that gives the best commentaries for each Book, from the Dispensational perspective? Or at least from authors with dispensational leanikngs?

I'm not a dispensational expert but I believe several of the NAC OT commentaries on prophecy (e.g. Ezekiel, Daniel, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi) are dispensational in outlook. Or at least solidly premillennial. As far as NT, I know Darrell Bock has some well-rated commentaries on the Gospels and Acts.

Posts 1839
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:44 PM

EEC is good, but it is incomplete. By the time it is complete it may replace one of my top 5.

At one time Expositor's Bible Commentary was the "must have" evangelical students/pastors. But newer series have come so that now it Rarely  breaks the top 5 of BestCommentaries. I have noticed that some new volumes don't make BestComm simply because they haven't been around long enough to accumulate the votes.

Commentary selection will always be a "snapshot" from a movie timeline. And several other comments share that individual volumes may be better than collecting sets.

By securing these 5 sets, I trust that I will have 3-4 of the top 5 for any given book for the next 10 years.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 435
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:46 PM

Alexander Fogassy:

Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary's Basic Library Booklist includes a number of volumes that fit this description. The list is eclectic, however, so it'll vary from book to book.

http://www.dbts.edu/2018/02/02/2018-faculty-recommended-booklist/

http://www.dbts.edu/basic-library-booklist/ 

Posts 1074
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:47 PM

Hi.

As I understand it, BestCommentaries base their rankings on reviews and curated libraries etc.... which is   approach but it will tend to skew towards commentaries that have been released long enough to make it into such reviews and libraries ... skewing the results towards age over the newer commentaries such as ZECNT.

I found myself wondering the purpose of your library etc. For example, I use NICOT/NT a lot. I have WBC and hardly use it (it was one of my first purchases, many years ago). Other than the peculiar format, I do not find it adds much to NICOT/NT in terms of content (please do not shoot me down!) ... I find that they are similar role. In contrast, something like the NIVAC which has a different remit might be considered. When used in conjunction with each other, I find these two sets to cover most of what I need, but neither would be sufficient on its own.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 435
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 12:58 PM

David Schroder:

Alexander Fogassy:

I'm not a dispensational expert but I believe several of the NAC OT commentaries on prophecy (e.g. Ezekiel, Daniel, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi) are dispensational in outlook. Or at least solidly premillennial. As far as NT, I know Darrell Bock has some well-rated commentaries on the Gospels and Acts.

Indeed, you can also look for scholars and publishers associated with historically dispensational(-leaning) colleges, universities, and seminaries. Certain Baptist, evangelical, and fundamentalist publishers are likely to include more authors along these lines. EEC also seems to have a number of volumes that would fit this description. It too, however, tends to be more broadly conservative and evangelical.

Posts 17973
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 1:13 PM

Alexander Fogassy:
Where, if I were interested, could I purchase the Denver Seminary commentaries?

Thankful for personal book files => PB-Denver Seminary Annotated Bibliographies/Recommendations with links to Logos resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 1:13 PM

David Thomas:

EEC is good, but it is incomplete. By the time it is complete it may replace one of my top 5.

At one time Expositor's Bible Commentary was the "must have" evangelical students/pastors. But newer series have come so that now it Rarely  breaks the top 5 of BestCommentaries. I have noticed that some new volumes don't make BestComm simply because they haven't been around long enough to accumulate the votes.

Commentary selection will always be a "snapshot" from a movie timeline. And several other comments share that individual volumes may be better than collecting sets.

By securing these 5 sets, I trust that I will have 3-4 of the top 5 for any given book for the next 10 years.

David, my dispensationalist bretheren, can you tell me what your top 5 commentaries are? I know you mentioned Pillar already. 

Posts 1839
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 1:18 PM

HEre is a collection of the Best NT on each book from someone "in the camp" https://www.logos.com/product/136960/challies-recommends-best-new-testament-commentaries 

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 1:37 PM

Denise:

Well, Beloved, I guess I disagree maybe?

I can't imagine inerrancy and WBC in the same sentence. In fact, I often find Herm more conservative than WBC. I'm not an inerrancy person (nor an errancy person). Early Christians appear quite comfortable with textual varients.

Disagreement can be healthy. I think it potentially can expand one's views and offer options that before were absent or at least nascent. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offer criticism. Old habits are difficult to break. Although I see your point I'm so used to WBC my knee-jerk will be to turn to it first and view every other commentary I consult through its lens.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 7
Plip | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 2:16 PM

David Thomas:

HEre is a collection of the Best NT on each book from someone "in the camp" https://www.logos.com/product/136960/challies-recommends-best-new-testament-commentaries 

By "in the camp," do you mean dispensational? Or inerrantist? Because while Tim Challies is decidedly inerrantist, he is definitely not dispensational. Here's a post from his blog in which he explains why he is not dispensational: https://www.challies.com/articles/why-i-am-not-dispensational/

To Alex: I think it might be a challenge to find the level of commentary I think you're looking for written by someone, as you said, "dispensational to the core." Darrell Bock's commentaries fit that category, but off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else. Perhaps it's just a blind spot of mine and there are many others.

Posts 942
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 2:47 PM

Plip:

David Thomas:

By "in the camp," do you mean dispensational? Or inerrantist? Because while Tim Challies is decidedly inerrantist, he is definitely not dispensational. Here's a post from his blog in which he explains why he is not dispensational: https://www.challies.com/articles/why-i-am-not-dispensational/

To Alex: I think it might be a challenge to find the level of commentary I think you're looking for written by someone, as you said, "dispensational to the core." Darrell Bock's commentaries fit that category, but off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else. Perhaps it's just a blind spot of mine and there are many others.

I believe the NAC and REBC (certainly the original EBC) series are written by those from the dispensationalist camp. Whereas the other series mentioned in this post don't have a requirement for that theology. 

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 2:47 PM

The Expositor's Bible Commentary  (EBC) certainly fits well the Dispensational requirement but the NICNT/OT is always the go-to resource ...  Morris, Bruce, Moo, Waltke, Robertson, et al, (there were giants in the earth in those days).

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 3:52 PM

Alexander Fogassy:
So, that being said...what are your thoughts?

If you ever want to shake things up, try consulting ACCS.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 4:22 PM

Alexander Fogassy:
So, that being said...what are your thoughts?

If you're an evangelical wanting the best heavyweight evangelical commentaries, I would personally recommend, in this order:

1. NICOT/NICNT (I'm not sure it's still the best overall for the NT, but nothing can touch it for the OT)
  2. ZECNT (a new series, but I'm very impressed with it)
  3. BECNT (relatively new, and consistently good)
  4. Pillar
  5. NAC
  6. EEC
  7. WBC

Slightly less heavyweight, but still excellent at what they're trying to do, I would recommend, in this order:

1. Expositors
  2. Tyndale
  3. BST
  4. Socio-rhetorical
  5. NIVAC

Bear in mind that the scoring system at BestCommentaries favours slightly older commentaries (because they'll have more recommendations than commentaries that have only recently been released).

Also remember that not all authors from every series will meet your inerrancy criteria, if you define that as the Chicago statement does. The series I've listed above that have the highest proportions of non-inerrancy writers would be WBC (by some distance), Socio-rhetorical and NICOT/NICNT. That said, none of the volumes are sceptical.

Page 2 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS