MM: Let's get serious for a second about commentaries...

Page 5 of 6 (101 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 100 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 687
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 4:11 AM

Dan Francis:

DAL:

WBC used to cover the whole Bible, but with O’Brien’s volumes not available anymore........I hope they can replace them soon.

DAL

Not quite 1Cornthians and Acts have yet to be published although I expect they will show up sooner than later unless the authors die first which is a real possibility with one who last I heard was battling cancer. 

-Dan

Which one?

Posts 617
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 4:16 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

Which one?

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_Biblical_Commentary) Acts is being written by Steven J. Walton and 1 Corinthians by Andrew D. Clarke. Not sure which of the two is ill.

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 4:30 AM

Dan Francis:

DAL:

WBC used to cover the whole Bible, but with O’Brien’s volumes not available anymore........I hope they can replace them soon.

DAL

Not quite 1Cornthians and Acts have yet to be published although I expect they will show up sooner than later unless the authors die first which is a real possibility with one who last I heard was battling cancer. 

-Dan

You are correct Dan! I forgot that Acts and the others never made it out of prepub. That was confusing!

DAL

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 8:13 AM

Ryan:

Kevin A Lewis:

Which one?

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_Biblical_Commentary) Acts is being written by Steven J. Walton and 1 Corinthians by Andrew D. Clarke. Not sure which of the two is ill.

Waltons university page had him listed as being away due to cancer treatment and had no further information but I cannot find the information again, this was several months ago I saw it and hopefully he has had a good outcome.

-dan  

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 8:26 AM

He seems to be attending conferences though so the treatment must have gone welL.  I know years ago a friend of his reported to people on the Accordance forum he was close to completion but who knows what that means when you have spent over a decade writing.

-Dan 

Posts 195
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 12:11 PM

Joshua Tan:

Mark Barnes:

3. BECNT (relatively new, and consistently good)

I've been holding out for a sale but it seems like Logos never has one for this particular series by Baker. Sad

I am in the same boat. It's too bad that for whatever reason the BECNT was not included in this MM sale. I'm guessing there is some kind of publisher restriction, which makes me think that a major sale on this commentary anytime soon is unlikely. Sad

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 7:46 AM

For those interested in the list put out by Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary (posted earlier in this thread, link: http://www.dbts.edu/basic-library-booklist/), I took a minute and made this spreadsheet (attached). 

It's a snapshot of which books (and how many) are ranked according to the list, 1-5. Grand totals for the Old, New, and entire Bible are also included in parentheses (it's hard to explain, but intuitive when you open it up). 

I did this for the NICOT, NAC, WBC, EBC, and EBCrevised for the OT and

(all of the above) plus NICNT, ZECNT, and Pillar for the NT. 

I hope at least somebody finds this helpful, haha. 

* I did not include BECNT or Tyndale series because they are not included this MM, even though DBTS does have them ranked quite frequently. The DBTS list also aggregates several books together as one entry (for example, 1 and 2 Samuel is one "book"), but in my counting I considered each book separate. 

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 7:47 AM

3808.Commentary Survey.xlsx

I'm not sure if this attachment actually attached...

Posts 777
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 8:11 AM

Alexander Fogassy:

3808.Commentary Survey.xlsx

I'm not sure if this attachment actually attached...

It did, thanks!

I did something similar. I used a ranking of 1-5 to see which of the NICOT/NICNT volumes I didn't already own were in the top 5 at bestcommentaries.com. Of the 25 I didn't already own, 16 were in the top 5. That was enough to convince me to purchase it during the MM sale.

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 11:06 AM

That's excellent to hear, Bill!

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 11:36 AM

All I know is that If NICOT/NT wins and I buy it, I may have (almost) reached the pinnacle of the Theological Library I’ve always wanted. NIC would add the final set of great commentaries I’ve always wanted; and at MM discount, it may very well be within reach. Let’s keep those fingers crossed!

DAL

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 12:19 PM

DAL,

Can you go over what you have that makes up your awesome library?

Alex

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 12:51 PM

I agree with Alex.  I'd love to learn more about your library, DAL.

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 2:58 PM

As far a top resources, I've been upgrading since Libronix and adding several top denominational packages.  Hence, that adds a lot of resources.  As far as top commentaries, I own most of the popular ones that I've acquired little by little (WBC, NIGTC, PNTC, NIVAC, HERMENEIA, NIB, etc.).  I really don't care much about Anchor or ICC since they are way too expensive and old for my taste.

I own several language resources BDAG/HALOT and other low level dictionaries and lexicons.

And to top it all off, since Libronix, I've been upgrading all my top Spanish Base Packages. 

So pretty much, I have a huge bilingual library with top resources, including some NIC volumes in Spanish and in English; which hopefully, I'll get to complete this year.

God has been awesome to me!

DAL

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 6:59 PM

DAL,

That is incredible.

Can you describe what kind of learning you've gained from this library?

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2018 8:45 PM

Anyone have data on the Paideia NT commentary set? Seems interesting...

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 2:12 AM

Alexander Fogassy:

DAL,

That is incredible.

In a nutshell, I’m a better student of the Word, more organized and faster creating lessons.

DAL

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 9:31 AM

Alrighty then!  Let me go for a short nap and by the time I wake up NICOT/NT will be the new MM2018 winner, and I’ll be checking all the good resources I like and then run some numbers to see what I’d like to do and decide from there. Feliz Siesta amigos 💤 😴 

DAL

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 10:12 AM

DAL:

Alrighty then!  Let me go for a short nap and by the time I wake up NICOT/NT will be the new MM2018 winner, and I’ll be checking all the good resources I like and then run some numbers to see what I’d like to do and decide from there. Feliz Siesta amigos 💤 😴 

DAL

Enjoy your Siesta. In my dreams I'd like to wake up and find all the publishers have decided to make individual volumes from all the commentary sets available separately at the same discounts as the sets. 

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 3:44 PM

Alexander Fogassy:

DAL,

That is incredible.

Much like DAL, I too have been collecting resources since Libronix. Its been over 11 years and the price of a used car, but I am incredibly pleased with my library. I always make sure to upgrade when new versions come out - that seems to be the best way to get most of the more expensive resources at a decent price.

The one thing I've noticed over the years is how quickly and thoroughly I can research any particular word, verse, or topic. Also, proper citation is no longer an issue. My eyes have been opened to my past ignorance when it comes to biblical knowledge. After Bible college, I thought I knew it all. I was very wrong. I am honestly shocked at how many pastors (even of large churches) use so few quality resources to create their sermons. This needs to be a high priority on the church budget. I think if my library like how a mechanic thinks of his tools. Without the right tools, the job is not going to get done properly.

Page 5 of 6 (101 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS