Why should someone buy Logos instead of QuickVerse?

Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2220
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:33 AM

Reb Bacchus:

My pastor and a couple of folks from my church are using Quick Verse.  I've used Logos almost from the time the company started, but I've never used Quick Verse.  What are some of the most important advantages Logos has over the other software?  Oh, and have all the Family Christian Bookstores stopped carrying Logos or is it just my local store?

I have quickverse from version to the letest version Platinum 2010 ,you cannot compare it ,if you could tell the defference between Mercedes and Fiat 600 ,then you will be able to know the difference quickverse is not comparable in content and quallity with Logos ,the tools in Logos and the access of different books with Greek aand Hebrews and dictionaries etc. its awsame, I have also the letest version of PC bible software Professional. this is better than Quickverse ,but it hs its own limitation in comparing to Logos, I am very satisfied with Logos ,I need the other softswares ,for the purpose of cerain books available them ,just to save money,had it not be the case I would n't need them. 

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2220
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:35 AM

Tes:
rom version

From version 6 to versionn 2010

Sorry I am in hurry to go to the church ,I apologize for any misunderstandings

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3156
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:49 AM

Tes:
tell the defference between Mercedes and Fiat 600

. . . you need to explain to Americans what a "Fiat 600" is.  Although, since they have taken over Chrysler, maybe more know them . . . Stick out tongue  (just kidding, mein Freund!)

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 1656
Forum MVP
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 8:12 AM

Dan

A Fiat 600 is a tiny car powered by a 600cc engine. Strictly utilitarian but with style.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac 21.5" • 3.06 GHz • 12GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 1 TB HDD

MacBook Air 13.3" • 1.8 GHz • 4 GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 256 GB SSD

iPad 64GB WiFi

iPhone 5s 32 GB

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:06 AM

This is a harder question than it was back Oct. of last year, Logos 4 has complicated the question at this point because it is not a finished product.

The best reasons I see for owning Logos rather than Quickverse,  are the overall system allows you to study at a deeper level in a shorter period of time with Logos and for the same amount of money you get a lot more up to date books with Logos.  For 600 dollars in QuickVerse you get a nice selection of Public Domain Books, but not much else.  I really think of QuickVerse as the Queen of the Public  Domain programs.

If a person understands the go button on Libronix 3 you can out preform QuickVerse with ease and it is easy to use.  However, if you want to go beyond the go buttons with some good training you can go even farther with Libronix 3. 

However, since the Logos 4 program has come out here are some of the drawbacks to Logos compared to QuckVerse.  You can run QuickVerse on almost any computer these days, but that can not be said about Logos 4, QucikVerse allows for printing, QuickVerse has better note taking ability, and QuickVerse allows pdf files to be used with in the system, and even better it allows you to build your own Public Domain books into the system and enjoy the same features you do with their normal books, such as searching.

Currently QuickVerse has those advantages over Logos 4, but if you compare Libronix 3 with QuickVerse they don't have so many of those advantages.  Libronix 3 can be used on almost any computer, you can buy the add in and make your own modules or download and use almost 1000 public domain books for L3.  L3 is easy to use if you stick with the go buttoms and it has many more up to date copyrighted books when compared at the same price range than QuickVerse has. Logos also has many more resources for advance studies and the system will allow you to do so many more things if you are willing to study up on how to use all the extra features.

I would rather use the free program called the Word than QuickVerse, it is a better program for studies.

However Libronix 3 is much better than the Word, and when Logos 4 is ready for prime time it will blow Libronix 3 away too! Although they got to get to run better on more computers!

Logos allows you to study at what ever level you want to and it has a huge amount of high quality books to put into the system, public domain and copyrighted material too!

QuickVerse gets blown away at the upper levels of bible study or research.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 277
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:31 AM

I am wandering which of the enthusiastic for Logos community has been seriously challenged to compare an elite professional level graphic based post-modern "revolutionary" interface with a "public domain" bible program...as one poster has described it.  Its sort of like owning a Mercedes and constantly talking about how inferior those crappy Chrysler PT Cruisers are.  A love for Logos, and the pursuit of the endless new release, does not in any way detract from the use and significance of QV products.  Different places in the market for different folks whom, I think, cant or wont spend nearly $8000.00 for the ultimate e-book Bible Library...but that's just me.  

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 12:56 PM

Jim Dunne:

I hadn't heard of NowBible before, so I googled it.  Interesting gadget - but it seems a bit pricey for a piece of hardware that just does one thing.  JMO, of course.

Blessings,

Jim D.

Jim,

I also use the Franklin BIB 475 pocket Bible.  Frankly, I use it only for their Daily Devotions.  Neither NowBible nor Logos can beat it for that purpose.  It picks out one really pertinent verse for each day.  In my opinion, the NowBible with the Dramatized reading of any of six different Bibles is the best for listening.  The NowBible has a very loud speaker so I can set it up every morning before I turn on my PC to read the entire Bible in a year with great dramatizations.  The sound is synchronized to the print so I can read and listen at the same time.  Then I conclude by playing my own sacred music which I loaded on to it.  The speaker on that little device is awesome.  The Logos voice used to play back Bibles is just a computerized, boring voice.  The dramatized reading is fantastic for me.

However, as others have said for deep research, Logos beats all.   

In Christ, blessings. 

Posts 4971
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 2:21 PM

ReneAtchley:

I am wandering which of the enthusiastic for Logos community has been seriously challenged to compare an elite professional level graphic based post-modern "revolutionary" interface with a "public domain" bible program...as one poster has described it.  Its sort of like owning a Mercedes and constantly talking about how inferior those crappy Chrysler PT Cruisers are.  A love for Logos, and the pursuit of the endless new release, does not in any way detract from the use and significance of QV products.  Different places in the market for different folks whom, I think, cant or wont spend nearly $8000.00 for the ultimate e-book Bible Library...but that's just me.  

I agree that we don't need to talk down other programs.  But if someone asks to to compare the two, then the car analogy is apt.  However, the $8000 dollar price tag is hyperbole.  A decent logos library can be had for a few hundred dollars.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 3:23 PM

ReneAtchley,  I am not sure, but I think your remarks were directed at my comments about QuickVerse and The Word. 

First off it really makes no difference, but I teach believers how to use all kinds of different software to study the scriptures,and very seldom is it a Logos product.

I own most of the models from last year including Quick Verse.  But that really doesn't matter because the question being addressed concerns only QuickVerse.  There is no doubt in my mind that it is a good product and that it does some really great things, my point is that it is over priced for what it does.

It contains a lot of public domain  for the 600 dollars you pay for their current top of the line model which is on sale right now!  The second main point that makes it over priced to me is the function of the program compared to Logos or even a good free bible study program.  I  am not comparing their product to online bible or esword, but to the Word program, Unless you have seen and used the Word program as well as the QuickVerse program, you may be judging the free programs by the wrong standard..

I agree with you, not everyone can or will fork over the big money for the biggest and best study system on the market, but they can spend the same 600 dollars on a Logos library, and then download the 1000 free pbbs and have a program that will out preform the QuckVerse system both in quality of books and in the level of research possible in the shortest period of time.  Or they can down load a free program with over 1000 resources and still compete with if not out preform QuickVerse.

Since you must have the QuickVerse system and Logos, where do you find that it out preforms Logos?  Where does it out preform the Word?  I really would like to know, if there is something that I have missed, it is important for me to know, because I want believer's to be able to study the scriptures with the best systems out there for the price they have to pay.

Getting back to the question asked on this thread dollar for dollar Logos is the better buy than QuickVerse not only in the books you get, but in what the program can do,  and if you understand the reports and the big orange ball it gets the information to you easier than QuickVerse, but it still allows those that want to learn the details of the system how to dig deeper even quicker.

Once Logos 4 is out in it's completed form it will be even better, with the possible exception of needing a more powerful computer.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 14298
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:34 PM

Is my memory failing again? or were we asked to not name other products because of the search engine issue? No, not complaining about the initial question and answers - but using QV etc. would solve the search engine issue.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 277
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:51 PM

To be honest Jim I'm not sure exactly what bone your picking here.  QV is a totally different product for a totally different population with a totally different function since it is a Bible program proper....as I have pointed out on several different occasion's.   To argue that Logos is a better buy when its initial price at almost every price point is higher than all but the Platinum level for QV seems like an academic argument over which shade of blue is the true shade of blue.  If a consumer wants the cutting edge professional post-modern revolutionary networked super interface then Logos is certainly the superior product at every point.  If a consumer just wants to do some simple straight forward devotions and limited exegetical work then QV has a place and maybe a better fit then the mid to upper level of Logos products imo.  Each has appeals to certain individuals with certain needs.   Is a Mercedes a better car than a PT Cruiser to get groceries?  Guess it depends on what one needs and how much money they have I suppose.

Posts 14298
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:55 PM

ReneAtchley:
If a consumer wants the cutting edge professional post-modern revolutionary networked super interface then Logos is certainly the superior product

I've been cheated! I demand a refund! I didn't get the post-modern revolutionary versionSad

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:11 PM

ReneAtchley,you ask what bone I have to pick, Well the thread is about why should someone buy Logos instead of QV, I am saying Logos is a better value book for book and the actual program is much better for any level of study, and Logos has bible programs starting as low as 150 dollars at full retail, not 600 dollars like you mention, and if a person then adds the free pbbs (about a 1000 books) to this program they have a very nice Library that is easy to use, (go to the grocery store), but it also can do those other things(fine dinning) if you decided you want to later!  There are at least 3  QV programs that cost more than 150 dollars even at their sale prices and they are mostly public domain books, they are easy to use ,but can not be up graded to the Logos level. 

But if you are really wanting a low cost program  people should look into the free program that I mentioned, you would not believe how much that program can do at no cost. 

Still for my money a person is better off going with Logos and adding to the program as you need different books, you still have a program that is not limited like the QV is and a program has not only public domain books but the best choice of copyrighted books for the money.

Nothing like a good side by side demo of different systems to see what fits a persons pocket book and needs too bad this is not possible over the internet.

I have noticed a lot of your posts, and read them carefully, and I could be wrong, but I don't believe you understand all the things that can be done with Libronix 3 without going to a camp, I can understand that, I don't think Logos ever marketed the use of Libronix 3 correctly for those just starting out in bible study, they have a weakness in that area.

The fault is not in the program, but rather Logos does a poor job training people in how to use the system if all you want is a simple way to study the bible and to do advance reseach by only using the big reports and the go button.  You don't need all the other stuff, but everyone thinks you do!  And that is wrong.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 2226
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 2:29 AM

MJ. Smith:
Is my memory failing again? or were we asked to not name other products because of the search engine issue?

I am not sure what you mean by this MJ. Could you throw some light on this? As i think the participant on this thread have complied and are within the forum rules of not "promoting or linking to competitors " software. Am i misunderstanding you, pardon me as it will not be the first? I am not aware one could not mention another software, i may have missed this but i can't find that info in the forum.

I know you were not complaining or making a big deal out of this, just curious to know moreSmile.

Blessing.

Ted 

Posts 4508
Forum MVP
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 2:59 AM

Ted Hans:
am not sure what you mean by this MJ. Could you throw some light on this? As i think the participant on this thread have complied and are within the forum rules of not "promoting or linking to competitors " software. Am i misunderstanding you, pardon me as it will not be the first? I am not aware one could not mention another software, i may have missed this but i can't find that info in the forum.

I believe that our dear Martha is referring to the post where Dan Pritchett said that when you mention the name of a product in the forum, "bots" pick them up and the become "hits" in a search engine search...and in turn, the Logos forum becomes an advertising venue for a competitor's product.

I hope that came out right...Dan's post was a good one but I can't find it at the moment.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2226
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 3:11 AM

Robert Pavich:

I believe that our dear Martha is referring to the post where Dan Pritchett said that when you mention the name of a product in the forum, "bots" pick them up and the become "hits" in a search engine search...and in turn, the Logos forum becomes an advertising venue for a competitor's product.

I hope that came out right...Dan's post was a good one but I can't find it at the moment

Ha, thanks Bob i forgot about that. I very much appreciate the reminder.

Ted

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 4:31 AM

MJ. Smith:

Is my memory failing again? or were we asked to not name other products because of the search engine issue? No, not complaining about the initial question and answers - but using QV etc. would solve the search engine issue.

But is there is not also the advantage of when someone is searching for information on QV, gets a hit to this thread, and can see that the basic consensus is that "QV is good, but Logos is the best"?

Just a thought...Smile

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2220
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 5:04 AM

Alan Macgregor:
A Fiat 600 is a tiny car powered by a 600cc engine. Strictly utilitarian but with style.

Alan, you have explained it very well, I think nowadays this car is not possible to find it anywhere except in Eritrea. I did my driving license with it before many years, any way I laughed as I always do, with Dann’s comments.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 5:11 AM

Rosie Perera:

Philip Spitzer:

Logos = Buy it  now, that's it.

Actually, it's more like "Buy it now, then buy some more resources, then a few more, then discover the pre-pub program (what great deals!) and order some more, then discover the community pricing program (what AWESOME deals!) and bid on some more, then some of your pre-pubs start shipping and you start paying for them, then your community pricing bids move into pre-pub, now you're totally addicted and keep buying resources until your spouse finds out what's been sending the credit card bill through the roof and then you're in trouble!" Smile

I saw this on Twitter today (from Rick Warren), "Dont fear temptation; use it to GROW.  Temptation is just a choice.Everytime u choose to do the RIGHT thing,u get stronger."  Could he be talking about Logos and our growing libraries?  Surprise

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 5:48 AM

Amy Leung:
I saw this on Twitter today (from Rick Warren), "Dont fear temptation; use it to GROW.  Temptation is just a choice.Everytime u choose to do the RIGHT thing,u get stronger."  Could he be talking about Logos and our growing libraries?  Surprise

I like it. Smile   The only problem, I can see, is that Rick Warren sells WORDs***** software...Wink

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS