Spell Check.... PLEASE!!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13
Reb Bacchus | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:31 AM

I kan't spel!   I went to 12 different schools on three different continents before I started college and none of the methods taught me worked... I can't do arithmetic either but that can't be helped in Logos.

There are several independent spell check services and many programs tap into spelling aides in MS Office.  Is there any reason that spell check can't be offered in the notes function?   PLEASE!  When I re-read my notes, I sometimes have a very hard time figuring out what I intended to say.  Heck, there's even spell check here.

Posts 667
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 9:55 AM

Reb Bacchus:
Is there any reason that spell check can't be offered in the notes function?

Amen brother.Yes

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 2:38 PM

Reb Bacchus:
Is there any reason that spell check can't be offered in the notes function?

This is a much requested feature which at the moment is seen as a word processor feature rather than a note taking feature.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 2
Gareth Peoples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 4:00 AM

Graham - Agreed, it seems like a word processor feature, but from a programming point of view, it isn't actually that difficult to have a spell checker on a system. It generally involves a data structure such as a hash table. This would be one of the easier things that the developers could actually implement.

Perhaps I am over simplifying it, but it is one of the things that we have studied on our Data Structures & Algorithms module in Computer Science.

God bless,
Gareth

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 5:21 AM

Gareth Peoples:
This would be one of the easier things that the developers could actually implement.

Hi Gareth

I think all of us that have any development expereince would agree with you but we do need to respect the underlying design philosophy.

I think it would also help if there was an off the shelf offering that Logos could plug in that would work with the chosen development toolset on all of the platforms that Logos now target (Windows, Mac, iPhone, etc.).

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 2
Gareth Peoples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 2:50 PM

Perhaps it could be considered for an optional extension?

Posts 12
Pastor Brian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:13 AM

I'll second that!

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:25 AM

Spell check is planned for down the road. There are some difficulties that are unique to our notes, though:

The WPF-built-in spell checker (WPF is the platform our Windows app uses for display) doesn't allow custom dictionaries. Our books -- and text copied from them, including the Bible -- are full of words and names not in the spell-check dictionary. Even if we implement our own spell checker, (which -- if you want it to perform well -- is slightly more complex than a simple hash table) we'd need to come up with a clean dictionary with theological terms, biblical names, etc. And we haven't done that yet.

Posts 29232
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:35 AM

Bob Pritchett:
Spell check is planned for down the road.

Yes

Bob Pritchett:
There are some difficulties that are unique to our notes, though:

Tongue Tied

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 12:26 PM

Just as a question......I really don't know or understand all the ins and outs of spell checker in the first place.....but would we want the spell checker to work in Hebrew and Greek as well?  for that matter....any of the languages that are in the logos software.

Posts 19177
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2012 3:09 AM

And we would want to be able to add words to the built-in spelling dictionary. Even Logos can't anticipate all the names and theological terms we might come up with.

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2012 3:42 AM

true about the custom dictionaries.. but I would rather have a basic english checker sooner rather than a all singing all dancing later

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 15
apeiron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 4:27 AM

Dear Auburn24, clearly you need a spellchecker ASAP! Also, perhaps a grammer checker for 6.0. There are a number of foreign theological schools that require students be able to write/publish in English.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:39 AM

Bob Pritchett:
Spell check is planned for down the road.

236 days down the road so far, ---sigh---

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1986
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 12:16 PM

Rosie Perera:
And we would want to be able to add words to the built-in spelling dictionary. Even Logos can't anticipate all the names and theological terms we might come up with.

(Realizing this is an older thread and quoting an older message...)

It occurs to me that a Logos library is likely to be as good a source of all the strange terms encountered in theology as anything else. Logos could deliver a built-in "SpellCheck" collection with a single DefaultDictionary resource. The community can contribute add-on dictionaries as PBs. And anyone can add any other resource in their library to that collection to supplement their dictionaries. The spellcheck function itself simply uses fairly normal search functionality against that collection. The normal spellcheck function of "most likely corrections" would need to be solved...

Donnie

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 12:32 PM

There are a number of open source spell checker libraries available (eg aspell). I'm not sure which license they use, but it might be worth investigating. There are also a number of dictionary word lists in the public domain.

Logos should already have word list from their search indexes of all the words used in their resources, though it would have to be checked as I'm sure there are typos indexed. Another alternative here would be to use a basic word list and release a beta to some users. Allow them to add words to the dictionary (via a right-click menu, like winword). They can then be verified and added in small batches to make it a bit more manageable.

Just an idea.

Posts 14
Stewart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 1:13 AM

Perhaps a first step would be to enable the operating system's spell and grammar functions to operate within the Logos application platform.  No need to reinvent the wheel. Wink

Posts 31873
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 1:15 AM

This is an old thread on a product that is no longer having new development - Logos 4.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26513
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 12:22 PM

MJ. Smith:
This is an old thread on a product that is no longer having new development - Logos 4.

IOW, you would have to migrate to Logos 5 for new functions. But check User Voice for this one.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS